Stuff you'd like Sylvian to release...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Postby anortherncod on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:37 am

That's what I meant, of course! :wink: If any !"£$%^&*() happens on PTF, I beat everyone up!!! :lol:
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:51 pm

I find both Camphorvan and Melaszka's comments, insights and stances important and valuable - I perfectly understand, and stand by, both of them.

long story short: English is not my mother tongue and I rarely get to speak it, although I read a fair share of it (Sylvian interviews included).
what may come across as pretension is, I think, simply a still fairly laboured working practice of a language I happen to like and love (that would explain my 'kid in a pastry shop' approach to using it).

I also think that my generally infrequent posting in forums is accountable for a certain heaviness of my messages - I seem to overcrowd them every time I want to speak about something I get the hots about. it's certainly that - but it's not pretension.

anyway, thanks for the honest and heartfelt comments from both sides. : ) I should really post more.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby camphorvan on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:40 pm

ohhhhhh......*penny drops*
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:00 pm

kitaj wrote:long story short: English is not my mother tongue and I rarely get to speak it

Well I wouldn't have been able to tell... I'm always impressed with non-native English speakers using forums in general and the language that forums demand in particular, lol, btw... :wink:

Se fossi in te forse sarebbe piu' difficile per me farlo in italiano...

Anyone who translates the above sentence correctly gets a free vanilla slice... :wink:
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:11 pm

"Has anyone seen my herring? My herring is missing." ?
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:14 pm

C'mon now Camphor! What have we told you about getting easily distracted?!? I might be a fish living north of Watford Gap, but there are no fish in that sentence. Try again... :wink:
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:30 pm

kitaj wrote:I don't purport for a minute it being the correct musicological term, though.

Those musical terms which you opted to use in your post are valid to what you were describing ---- polyphonic and contrapunctal melodies are indeed appropriate and accurate in the discussion of counterpoint. Don't doubt yourself and don't allow yourself to be intimidated.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:43 pm

camphorvan wrote:"Has anyone seen my herring? My herring is missing." ?

:smt040 :lol:
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby kitaj on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:59 pm

baht habit wrote:
kitaj wrote:I don't purport for a minute it being the correct musicological term, though.

Those musical terms which you opted to use in your post are valid to what you were describing ---- polyphonic and contrapunctal melodies are indeed appropriate and accurate in the discussion of counterpoint. Don't doubt yourself and don't allow yourself to be intimidated.

thank you, baht! I promise I will become as irremovable as a boulder facing the north gale. : D

Natasha: whence didst you ascertain I were (half-)Italian??

stop me everybody - I'm having too much fun! : D
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby camphorvan on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:20 pm

baht habit wrote:

Yes I looked it up on wiki too.
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Ahhh let's not argue about this stuff! It takes different strokes to move the world... Anyway, in relation to this topic--I have always loved the Jazzy stuff he has done. Since Secrets of the Beehive, Dead Bees, Snow Borne Sorrow--I love it!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby baht habit on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:23 pm

camphorvan wrote:
baht habit wrote:

Yes I looked it up on wiki too.

You are quite the presumptuous type if you're inferring that I didn't already have a working knowledge of those particular terms. I happen to have performed with string orchestras, big band swing orchestras and outlandish avant garde percussion ensembles performing compositions which seemed on so many occasions to be built on the very essence of counterpoint melodies and such. And on top of that I have also heard a pop star like Sting use some of the same terms we have been discussing so it is not as if this is some foreign element to music. I don't quite comprehend why you decided to attack anyone for using such terminology in the first place.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:28 am

kitaj wrote:Natasha: whence didst you ascertain I were (half-)Italian??

A complete coincidence - Italian happens to be my second language (ooh, get me!) and I'm studying it at university.

So what's the other half...?
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:41 am

anortherncod wrote:
kitaj wrote:Natasha: whence didst you ascertain I were (half-)Italian??
So what's the other half...?

I'm an Italian-Croatian bilingual.
I'd say the Slavic half accounts for a solid grasp of languages, and the Italian half for the wordiness in their usage. :lol:
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:04 am

Wow! I was just in Croatia last week! So... zdravo!!! :D
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work