NEW MEMBER TO SITE

Tell us a little bit about you...

NEW MEMBER TO SITE

Postby roxyubikbladerunner on Wed May 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post to the site. I have been a Japan/David Sylvian fan since i got handed the Quiet Life double album gatefold sleeve record to play in 1980. I then bought all the back catalogue, then GTP and of course Tin Drum. Ghosts and Visions of China etc were made for the video age and their visuals were as much a part of the package as anything else. A number of mates tried to copy the Sylvian hairstyle - i actually took a picture in of him to the barber - needless to
say it wasnt a great success!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was lucky enough (and old enough!!) to see Japan at the Edinburgh Playhouse on the Tin Drum tour c November 1982 and i still have the programme from the concert. Little did i know it was the last time i would see them. I remember seeing a pop chat show type thing at the time of Brilliant Trees when Bill Nelson of Be Bop Deluxe and one of the Duran or Spandau members said that everyhere they went, all the young ones spoke about were Japan and they could have been stellar if they had stayed together. We will never know so i suppose i was priviliged to see them when i did.

I followed Sylvian thereafter for a few years -Brilliant Trees is amazing - so many great songs - Nostalgia is brilliant - i got Secrets from the Beehive (love Orpheus, Let the Happiness in) but lost touch after that. With the invention of itunes etc i am now getting into Sylvians back catalogue. Songs like I Surrender, Returning to the Womb, When Love Walks In, Thalheim are brilliant - i have to say that i have heard a couple of bits of Manafon and am a bit dubious. All respect to Sylvian to sticking to his artistic guns though.

Anyway, hope to hear from some of you soon
roxyubikbladerunner
Noob
Noob

Re: NEW MEMBER TO SITE

Postby anortherncod on Wed May 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Welcome to the forum... um... can we call you summat for short? :D

Have fun with iTunes, but don't forget the other members of Japan :wink:
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Wed May 12, 2010 3:10 pm

whish you lots of fun on the forum it must have been amazing to see Japan at the Edinburgh Playhouse... :-D :-D
neonico

Postby missouriman on Wed May 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Welcome BladeRunner dude,

That show was "Eight Days A Week" and it was one of the snot faced Kemp brothers. Gary. He didn't like "Brilliant Trees". I recall him saying David was 'too precious" about himself. Balls! I hated Spandau Ballet anyway. :smt067

Some of are old enough to have seen Japan. Only the once sadly in 1982 in Newcastle. Halfway back but close enough to ABSORB the brilliance. I wish all of you could have seen them live. :smt055
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Thu May 13, 2010 2:49 am

Welcome :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Sat May 15, 2010 4:40 am

welcome :)

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Sat May 15, 2010 7:32 am

Missouriman, I was at that gig about half way down as well on both nights, seems like a long time ago now
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Sat May 15, 2010 9:22 am

Hey Bern!
You were? Very cool. It was a great night and you saw both nights. I wish I could have too. It was great to watch the crowd too. The clones were out that night. Some good/some bad/some awful. Do you remember seeing some girl throw a scarf over Dave's guitar neck and try and pull him down to her? Crazy crazy girls there. I remember Mick shuffling and bumping into Dave and Dave gave him a look... and then Mick grinned at Richard as if to say "Did ya see that???" Coming out of the hall into a damp Newcastle night was a fantastic feeling. But so long ago now.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Sat May 15, 2010 4:03 pm

missouriman wrote:Hey Bern!
You were? Very cool. It was a great night and you saw both nights. I wish I could have too. It was great to watch the crowd too. The clones were out that night. Some good/some bad/some awful. Do you remember seeing some girl throw a scarf over Dave's guitar neck and try and pull him down to her? Crazy crazy girls there. I remember Mick shuffling and bumping into Dave and Dave gave him a look... and then Mick grinned at Richard as if to say "Did ya see that???" Coming out of the hall into a damp Newcastle night was a fantastic feeling. But so long ago now.

i wish i was older and could have been there... :( :(
neonico

Postby roxyubikbladerunner on Sun May 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Cheers to everyone for your replies - i dont remember that much about the gig i have to say - remember seeing Sandi and the Sunsets as back up band - Mick doing the feet shuffle from one end of the stage to the other while playing those amazing bass lines, David sitting at the piano for nightporter and masumi doing weird things on the guitar. The only good thing about going on that particular tour is that there is some footage out there of the oil on canvas tour which helps bring it back.
roxyubikbladerunner
Noob
Noob

Return to Introduce Yourself