Rob Dean Question

Dolphin Brothers, JBK, Rob Dean, and others...

Rob Dean Question

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Tue May 08, 2007 8:29 pm

We all know that Japan's music isn't that guitar driven, really with each successive album after AS, there was less and less guitar work. Even on GTP, Rob's playing is buried pretty heavily in the mix. I feel really sorry for Rob. He must have felt alienated, and somewhat resentful that they were moving in a less guitar oriented direction. I went on wikipedia and it says he left because of frustration with the lack of room for his guitar work. I wonder if he felt that his days in Japan were numbered at any point?
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Rob Dean Question

Postby heartofdavid on Wed May 09, 2007 10:09 am

I looked through some old magazines trying to find any interviews with Rob - very few, and of those not many of the questions focused on his time with Japan. I did come across one where he said he didn't like Tin Drum, thought it was cold and clinical, nor did he like Oil on Canvas (the video) - said it looked like it was filmed in the fog. In that same interview when asked to describe his former band mates, he said he couldn't easily do that because "they're too complex." He also stated that he remained friends with them (this was a 1986 interview) and mentioned a few occasions when they'd gotten together.

An interview with John Punter was more revealing. He said that Rob was not happy with the direction the music was taking, and he was very disappointed with the lack of any success (outside of the country of Japan) up to that point - reiterating what you found.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Wed May 09, 2007 6:22 pm

Well, he played in Beginning to Melt, so I guess they really remained friends...
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sexandpolitics on Wed May 09, 2007 8:39 pm

Oh, and has anybody noticed that he played with Mick Karn on Gary Numan's Dance?
sexandpolitics
Regular
Regular

Postby heartofdavid on Wed May 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Edited for correction: There are pics floating around of Steve, Mick and Rob outside the Hammersmith Odeon (October, 1991). They attended a Ryuichi Sakamoto concert - David appeared as a special guest and performed "Forbidden Colours" and "Orpheus."

*just a bit of trivia*
Last edited by heartofdavid on Thu May 10, 2007 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Wed May 09, 2007 10:36 pm

I don't know much about Rob or his reasons for leaving other than what has already been mentioned and/or written in magazines, etc. I so see a parallel with Rob's experience with Japan and Andy Taylor's experience with Duran Duran. Rob and Andy seem to have strong convictions and ideas of what they like in music and what their part in a band should be, and that the reality of it all does not always match their needs. Other personalities in a band can cause the situation to not be as favorable to some other members, not saying that it is an intentional thing, just the nature of it all. Andy has now left Duran Duran twice, pretty much for the same reasons, and I respect his reasons. I think Rob moved on for basically the same reasons, and I too respect his decision.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Rob Dean

Postby PicassoLover on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:56 am

Some more info you may be interested in. I worked for Virgin Records as a PR chick in the Late 80's and Rob Dean signed to us with his band "The Slow Club". He lived in Melbourne for a few Years and Virgin Australia spent quite a large amount of money of the CD. It had a gold embossed cover and Virgin had all manner of launches etc for the project. Alas it did not do all that well. I got to know him quite well and found him the nicest person. He was an avid reader and we used to chat about books etc. Mind you I didn't know he was into bird watching. Also, back then I had been a huge Japan/David Sylvian fan, had collected for years and didn't have the guts to say I was a fan, I was too cool for my own good. I then heard he moved back to the U.K. and didn't hear much until recently. I then moved onto BMG Records.
PicassoLover
Noob
Noob

Postby Trantor on Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:33 am

I guess a lot of bands changed from guitar to synthesizer musiv in those years. Japan simply decided to follow that trend especially because synthesizer and percussion became much more better in due time
Trantor
Noob
Noob

Postby deadbees on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:03 am

[quote="krausy"]I don't know much about Rob or his reasons for leaving other than what has already been mentioned and/or written in magazines, etc. I so see a parallel with Rob's experience with Japan and Andy Taylor's experience with Duran Duran. Rob and Andy seem to have strong convictions and ideas of what they like in music and what their part in a band should be, and that the reality of it all does not always match their needs. Other personalities in a band can cause the situation to not be as favorable to some other members, not saying that it is an intentional thing, just the nature of it all. Andy has now left Duran Duran twice, pretty much for the same reasons, and I respect his reasons. I think Rob moved on for basically the same reasons, and I too respect his decision.[/quote]

I would add that a major difference in the two guitarists' situations was that in Japan's case the direction of the band was very much led by the direction in which David's songwriting had evolved. Had Japan started with Quiet Life (which I'm sure the band and most fans would have preferred), would they actually have needed a lead guitarist to join them.
With DD the writing was split five ways or at least that's how it appears on the credits. (My interest in DD is minimal these days, must catch up with their early stuff)
deadbees
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 am

That said, with early DD, always had the impression that the Taylor's were probably the more gifted musicians, NR was hardly a wizard on the keyboards, though he clearly spent a lot of time on the Chauffeur.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:38 am

deadbees wrote:
krausy wrote:I don't know much about Rob or his reasons for leaving other than what has already been mentioned and/or written in magazines, etc. I so see a parallel with Rob's experience with Japan and Andy Taylor's experience with Duran Duran. Rob and Andy seem to have strong convictions and ideas of what they like in music and what their part in a band should be, and that the reality of it all does not always match their needs. Other personalities in a band can cause the situation to not be as favorable to some other members, not saying that it is an intentional thing, just the nature of it all. Andy has now left Duran Duran twice, pretty much for the same reasons, and I respect his reasons. I think Rob moved on for basically the same reasons, and I too respect his decision.

I would add that a major difference in the two guitarists' situations was that in Japan's case the direction of the band was very much led by the direction in which David's songwriting had evolved. Had Japan started with Quiet Life (which I'm sure the band and most fans would have preferred), would they actually have needed a lead guitarist to join them.
With DD the writing was split five ways or at least that's how it appears on the credits. (My interest in DD is minimal these days, must catch up with their early stuff)

I agree with that as well. Had the first two albums not existed then I venture to say they would not have bothered, and did exactly as they have done post-Rob, David handle any guitar parts or they bring in a guest. Of course these days David prefers the first two albums be forgotten, but it is a fan's perogative to listen or not.

Yes, DD partnership was set up five ways, and they dissolved it in it's form when Andy left this last time. They started going in one direction in the studio, and then Timbaland entered the picture, the direction diverted, and Andy bolted. Some say Sony was not pleased with the previous direction and called in the troops, some say that is bogus information. Whatever the reason, it is what it is, and I guess we will hear sometime in the future the fruits of the labor.

And I also agree it is hard to resist DD's early work, although I did find very strong points in their last offering. I think it is actually a decent album.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Band Collaborations and Members