Hair Dilemma

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Hair Dilemma

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Wed May 02, 2007 1:06 pm

I had a job interview for Fred Meyers today, and was denied because I refused to cut my hair to "above shoulder length". I realise that I should learn to accept this sort of thing, since I plan on growing my hair well past shoulder length, but it doesn't change the fact that I am still pretty pissed off, and blown away that this kind of stuff happens in 2007! Their dilemma is that I am not projecting the type of image that they want for their company. My question is what "image" am I projecting exactly? A stereotype.

I have another interview later today so we'll see how that goes.[/i]
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Hair Dilemma

Postby S4pB on Wed May 02, 2007 1:38 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:I had a job interview for Fred Meyers today, and was denied because I refused to cut my hair to "above shoulder length". I realise that I should learn to accept this sort of thing, since I plan on growing my hair well past shoulder length, but it doesn't change the fact that I am still pretty pissed off, and blown away that this kind of stuff happens in 2007! Their dilemma is that I am not projecting the type of image that they want for their company. My question is what "image" am I projecting exactly? A stereotype.

I have another interview later today so we'll see how that goes.[/i]

A disgusting thing is all these rules about image and form of clothing by which companies are tryin' to turn all the employees in faceless automatic things...
I expect to have many probs on the matter, cos' I'm not gonna ever wear skirt and pale makeup xD
I wish You the best of luck, Honey Rhodesia!!! :-)
"Well, welcome to the ocean, welcome to the sea, welcome to the jungle deep inside of me.."
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Silver Moon on Wed May 02, 2007 4:48 pm

I'm so sorry, Rhodesia!!

That really does suck. I know how you feel too :(

... I have always had my hair patterned after David Sylvian... Blonde on top and auburn in the back... For my senior pictures, I decided to dye the back a very bright screaming red color. I did this and the next day at school my first 3 teachers commented about how they liked it. However, when I got to my 4th block class my teacher ran me down to the asst. principals office and complained to her that my hair was a distraction and she wanted it to be all dyed ONE normal color by the next day. The teacher left so the asst. principal and I argued about it a bit. I was taken down to the real Principals office and the other asst. principals were called in, too. (All this over my hair!) I tried to joke and say "Hey! I'm half Scandanavian and Half Irish here!" (My principal got it) But the other's weren't amused. Anyway... The asst. principal I was taken to argued that she wanted my WHOLE head dyed one color. But in the end, they all just decided for only the back to be dyed a natural color. BUT if that same teacher said it was a distraction one more time, I would have to dye my whole head. Well... I went out and bought a brown hair dye that night and sadly changed it back. When I went back to my fourth block, my teacher told me that it was still reddish, unnatural and distracting!!!! However I countered this and told her that Mr. Brown (The principle) said it was OK... I was lucky though that I got to keep it blonde/brown.

But yeah... That's what happened to me :( I say don't change your hair for anyone!!! In my case, if I would have rebelled it just would have lead to ISS to Suspension to eventually expulsion... You're you and you shouldn't have to conform to the masses to feel accepted. You are a unique individual and should be allowed to celebrate that!! Gah! This kinda stuff makes me mad.

I hope your next interview goes smoother... I really do.

All the best,

-K
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Wed May 02, 2007 5:06 pm

Thanks for the support and story SM. Once it gets long enough I want to dye it platinum blond, and maybe a streak of black.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed May 02, 2007 6:36 pm

That sounds awesome! When you get that post pics :D

-K
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu May 03, 2007 11:55 am

YAY! I got the second job! It's shite, but it's a job I guess. And that didn't say a thing about my hair!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Thu May 03, 2007 12:06 pm

Congratulations! :smt023
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bridget on Thu May 03, 2007 12:20 pm

Hey, I'm happy for you, well done :D
Bridget
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Thu May 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Glad to hear you got the job, Rhodesia!

-K
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu May 03, 2007 12:39 pm

This just in! I just got a call from another place. A higher paying job, with benefits! I have an interview today, and the lady I talked to said the hair thing shouldn't be a problem.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Fri May 04, 2007 3:07 pm

Wow, you're a busy man.
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Fri May 04, 2007 3:16 pm

Holy cow, I just looked at your profile and it says you're a Phone Sex Operator? Are you serious? LOL, that's too much.
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Fri May 04, 2007 3:18 pm

Cheery Cherry wrote:Holy cow, I just looked at your profile and it says you're a Phone Sex Operator? Are you serious? LOL, that's too much.

Haha. Gotcha! I have that on my Myspace as well. Seriously, who would pay for something like that in this day and age.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Fri May 04, 2007 3:20 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:
Cheery Cherry wrote:Holy cow, I just looked at your profile and it says you're a Phone Sex Operator? Are you serious? LOL, that's too much.

Haha. Gotcha! I have that on my Myspace as well. Seriously, who would pay for something like that in this day and age.

That was cool! Hey you never know...people pay for a lot of ridiculous things now adays. But definitely had my imagination going....
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri May 04, 2007 11:16 pm

Congrats on the job, but I hope this next interview goes well, cause a job with benefits, especially medical if offered, is one less worry off your mind. Hope it works out for you.

Dress codes and the like really annoy me too. The only time I don't squawk about it is when it is for safery reasons, like having sturdy shoes, etc. The only thing i think ought to be regulated is who wears tube tops out in public, cause sometimes the wrong people think they look gorgeous in them--lol.

Heck, these days in the work force I am just glad to have someone willing to do hard work and not be afraid of it. My last concern is what they look like.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season