Weather Station

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Weather Station

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:56 am

When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Weather Station

Postby baht habit on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:12 am

This band was new to me as well. A couple of months ago, I heard 'ROBBER' on the radio. I was quickly taken in by the groove and intrigued by the mesmerizing combination of instruments -- excellent string arrangement...but it was the jazzy interplay between the sax and guitar licks which had me hooked.
I've kept searching the internet to find a download of the track "BETTER NOW" (a b-side of Robber) but it is only available on the 7" record. :roll:

I did a cursory listen through their previous output. It appears that the singer/songwriter Tamara Lindeman is the constant and the style was more folk-based overall.
I was not all that impressed when I heard the next two promo singles, but my attention was regained after watching that video for the final promo single "Parking Lot" - which appeared on youtube the week right before the album was released.
In my opinion, the album is hit and miss. There is a sameness to much of it and, since the disparate jazzy sound of Robber was my initiation to this band, I may have been a little disappointed that the album is not as varied and musically challenging as I would have anticipated.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Weather Station

Postby Tin Bird on Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:48 pm

I agree. I like that track Tried to Tell You, but over a few listens the album itself grew a tad boring and generic. Pretty cool sounds though...I hear mid-period Talk Talk, Kate Bush, and Blue Nile in there.

Another band I could recommend perhaps in somewhat similar territory would be Mutual Benefit. Their album "Thunder Follows the Light" is wonderful. A folk-based feel punctuated w very subtle electronics. If you've heard Sufjan Stevens' album "Carrie and Lowell", it's in the same ballpark.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season