New Romantic

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

New Romantic

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:50 pm

I just want an honest opinion on this.

I always took the New Romantic movement as defining a particular style of band imagery. Thus, I have a wide definition of the term. I take bands like Visage to be inarguably classified as a New Romantic band. I also believe that Japan evolved into the New Romantic style. I understand that the band itself hated the label. However, as I look at pictures taken around 1980-1981, I believe that they look akin to a band that would be associated with the New Romantic movement.

As I have recently learned, the latter statement seems to be extremely contested. I have heard that there is a push to define the New Romantic movement as a small subset of bands associated with particular venues of the day. I have also heard it being defined as a movement based totally on band imagery wherein even bands like Adam and the Ants get caught in the definition. Is there one definition that is wholly proper? Is the definition itself just totally based on one's opinion of how far they wish to define the boundaries of a band being in the New Romantic movement?

Thank you for your time :smt006
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: New Romantic

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:04 pm

And the next question: what were the Old Romantic bands?

First period Roxy Music?
Metro (featuring Duncan Browne) - look at their first album-cover from 1976 and you know what I mean)?

I never judged the music of bands on the way they dressed and how can you define a music-style by the cloths musicians wear? Questions, but no answers or too many answers.

Just close your eyes and enjoy the music: the ones that produce it can be bare naked (and yes, also without make-up).
Last edited by Quiet Visitor on Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:24 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:And the next question: what were the Old Romantic bands?

First period Roxy Music?
Metro (featuring Duncan Browne) - look at their first album-cover from 1976 and you know what I mean)?

I never judged the music of band on the way they dressed and how can you define a music-style by the cloths musicians wear? Question, but no answers or too many answers.

Just close your eyes and enjoy the music: the ones that produce it can be bare naked (and yes, also without make-up).

Thank you for your response. I honestly needed to hear that. After getting absolutely chewed on a different forum for my definition, I couldn't listen to anything anymore :lol:

Defining bands solely by the genre of music they play would be a better choice, as in the end it's the point that truly matters. Although I have to admit, I like the stage imagery too. It gives me more things to draw :-D
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:10 pm

I always thought of New Romantics as more of a fashion-type genre than a musical one. The frilly shirts and pirate garb...etc. Certainly Quiet Life, GTP, and Tin Drum era Japan looked the part, but Tin Drum is it's own thing musically IMO. I suppose other bands that come to mind are early Spandau Ballet, Adam and the Ants, Kajagoogoo, early Duran Duran, Culture Club, Classix Nouveaux...etc.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season