A veritable flood of John Tilbury collaborations

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

A veritable flood of John Tilbury collaborations

Postby baht habit on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:43 pm

September brought the release of "Exta", an impressive studio recording by pianist John Tilbury (best known as a member of AMM, and had also contributed to Manafon with great effect), saxophonist John Butcher (former member of Polwechsel and had also worked with Sylvian) and Thomas Lehn (former member of Keith Rowe's ensemble MIMEO).

October saw the release of "The Just Reproach", a collaborative effort between Tilbury and Oren Ambarchi that was recorded in September 2012. { a decent bootleg of the show had been made available on the net last year and this new album is unfortunately slightly edited. But understandably, the resonant sound of the piano is captured much better for the official release }

And now November brings "Variable Formations", the recording of an improvisation performed back in February between Tilbury, violinists Angharad Davies (a past collaborator with David Toop) and Johnny Chang, with electronics provided Lee Patterson (also a past collaborator with Toop), Phil Durrant and Jamie Drouin. I've only heard a few excerpts from this one, some much too brief, yet one extensive 7 minute extract. I look forward to hearing all of it.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: A veritable flood of John Tilbury collaborations

Postby Chad on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Just curious Baht, is this how you came to follow Davids music?

I must admit to not getting this stuff at all. Keith Rowe's kitchen gadget guitar is something I tried in the 70's when I was about fifteen years old. I always attributed that to ADD. :D It is occasionally interesting. The same thing w Tilbury. If I were to listen to one desert island thing what would that be?

But on the other hand I really like prepared piano works. I've been listening to quite a bit of Sakamoto & Hauschka lately. That Tigran show was really good.

to me... experimental improv music is so easy. If you could make any money doing it I would quit my day job in a minute. Whats really difficult and challenging is creating experimental pop music; improvisational or not. Those are the records that really stand out to me.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: A veritable flood of John Tilbury collaborations

Postby baht habit on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:52 am

baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season