david bowie

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

david bowie

Postby depeon on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:39 am

Is anyone else loving the new Bowie single or is it just me?
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: david bowie

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Haven't heard it yet, but I'm loving that a new Bowie record is coming out. :)
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby depeon on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Personally i think it is a beautiful haunting song, like a farewell. The piano sounds a bit like Sakamoto. It is good to have him back, I wouldn't be a huge fan but there is elements of his work which i adore.
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kitaj on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:53 pm

I love both the song and the video. it's a slow burner of a song, I like that. :-)
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Bern on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 am

I've always been a huge Bowie fan and he was obviously a major influence on Sylvian and I seem to pick up new references every day, I was playing Heroes in the car and the opening track Beauty and the Beast contains the line "like every good boy should" sound familiar?
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:33 am

So am I the only who finds it horribly middle-of-the road?

The chorus does have a lovely elegy-like quality but for me that can't make up for the awful, plodding music.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby kitaj on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:59 pm

my appreciation is made easier by my not being a huge Bowie fan. my preferred album of his is, indeed, Outside, but I don't have a problem with any style or vein he decides to tackle, I usually appreciate all of them.
conversely, my being an uber-Sylvian fan mars my appreciation of, say, 'Heartbeat' and Nine Horses (his middle-of-the-road pap if I apply the above standards).

the best thing about the song for me is the frailty in his voice - that's a new one for me, coming from him. :-)
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby depeon on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Kitaj, i couldn't agree more regarding Bowie's voice in his new song and i'm glad that someone else has detected it. Now with regards to Heartbeat, one word, cheesy. Nine horses, i adore.
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pinenut on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:12 pm

i have never really been a Bowie fan and own non of his works. However heard the fuss over this "stealth" release and took a listen via his site. Love the track, very simple and languid but i think it works great. Well done Bowie.
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Postby billster on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Its Bowie now. After being away for so long and with no previous hope of anything new, the context of this new release is moving enough initself. Songs don't exist in a Vacum, its also about when and where we are when we hear them..for that alone, I find it Deeply moving...also, Kudos for him not trying too hard..It is what it is with no guest rappers or the Like.

Im increasingly befuddled by Sylvian's esoteric direction, Id love him to 'revert' to such simple classic 'Plodding' structures...because with his voice and prescence, such a 'MOR' approach would be at this point subversive and risque...
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Stephenf on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:05 pm

billster wrote:Its Bowie now. After being away for so long and with no previous hope of anything new, the context of this new release is moving enough initself. Songs don't exist in a Vacum, its also about when and where we are when we hear them..for that alone, I find it Deeply moving...also, Kudos for him not trying too hard..It is what it is with no guest rappers or the Like.

Im increasingly befuddled by Sylvian's esoteric direction, Id love him to 'revert' to such simple classic 'Plodding' structures...because with his voice and prescence, such a 'MOR' approach would be at this point subversive and risque...

MOR subversive and risque at this point? Please do explain to me what you mean by that when to you refer to 'Plodding' structures as well.
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby billster on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:04 am

I mean that| Sylvian doing more long form, improvised, ambientesque improvising is what we've come to expect of him, so in that context its barely experimental stylistically.

If Sylvian came out with something like 'Where are we now' or a folkie album, it'd sound truly radical. (to these ears\ at least and obviously, Im only speaking for myself, that goes without saying).
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:15 am

billster wrote:

I'm surprised people are still going on about Sylvian's 'esoteric' direction. Surely by now you would realise that this is where his heart lies whether we choose to like it or not?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:57 am

I'm not 'going on about it'.

I'm mentioning it in reference to Bowie's new single- which si the topic of this thread.

I'm glad and grateful for Sylvian's direction and work whatever direction it takes. even though personally I'm a bit tired by the latest 'reprocessed/poetry' releases..

My point was although Sylvian's current work is seen as challenging, outre and radical, I think him doing a 4 to the floor ballad, by comparison, at this point -Like Bowie's single - would in fact be radical and out there- for him.

Why do I feel like I'm addressing a special needs class. Is there an internet equivelent of a blackboard?
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 am

billster wrote:
Why do I feel like I'm addressing a special needs class. Is there an internet equivelent of a blackboard?

How delightful. Learn how to spell equivalent correctly before you start addressing people as having special needs.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Open Season