Songs that touch you...

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Songs that touch you...

Postby Barbierigirl on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:46 am

Hey, do any of you have any songs that make you emotional?. I'm not a blues or country fan but I just listened to Keith Richards version of "Sing Me Back Home" and it gave me a lump in my throat ( and I NEVER cry).

A few of mine are:

Keith Richards - Sing Me Back Home
Dalis Car - In Glad Aloneness (for obvious reasons, I've gotten emotional when listening to any of Mick's work after he passed)
Japan - Canton (this actually made me want to cry the first time I heard it, and still does. Maybe because it's so beautiful and breathtaking to me)
Mick Karn and David Sylvian - Buoy and When Love Walks In (for the same reason mentioned above)
Kate Bush - Running up that hill
kate Bush - Cloudbusting(I listened to it a lot when Mick was diagnosed with cancer, so it gives me some upseting memories) (don't think I'm a weirdo, he was my hero)
T-Rex - Cosmic Dancer (I always thought this was just a sad song, since I was a kid)

What are yours?
People change and forget to tell each other - Lillian Hellman
Barbierigirl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Songs that touch you...

Postby Simonp on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:30 am

No song makes me cry but there are certainly songs which evoke a particular time/experience in my life. Mazzy Star's Fade Into You is one of them. Cowboy Junkies Blue Moon is another
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierigirl on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:18 am

I've never heard either of those songs before, they don't particularly have to make you cry but songs that make you feel something is all I meant. :-)

anybody else?
Barbierigirl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Loads for me, and they change according to what might be happening to me at the time. Porcupine Tree's Where We Would Be, for example, made me cry on the motorway once - I was driving and that neither big nor clever. A cert no matter what is happening to me is The Blue Nile'sTinseltown In The Rain.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:04 pm

There are some artists that touch me so much I'm all creased and crumpled after listening to anything by them. And the transmitted emotions can vary. Sometimes it's sadness, sometimes it's joy, sometimes it's anger, or helplessness, or just sheer delight at being alive, here, now.
Anyway, apart from the wonder boys to whom this forum is dedicated, the first artists that come to my mind whose fingerprints are all over me, are The Beatles, Jacques Brel (If You Go Away, last track on In Glad Aloneness, is his), Léo Ferré, Foo Fighters, Giorgio Gaber, Enzo Jannacci, Robert Wyatt.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierigirl on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Just thought of another one...Joy Division-Love Will Tear Us Apart, love this song so much and when I listen to it it feels like pure heartache.
Barbierigirl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Open Season