Burning Shed gig

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Burning Shed gig

Postby sonic_chronicler on Fri May 12, 2006 4:21 am

Don't know how many of you are in the UK (not many I guess) but next month, Burning Shed are holding a gig in Norwich which promises to be a very interesting night:

Burning Shed Presents:

Friday, 16th June, The Garage, 14 Chapel Field North, Norwich, from 8pm

Michael Bearpark

Tim Bowness

Peter Chilvers

Ben Coleman

Steven Wilson (solo)

Plus other guests tba

Tickets £10 from the live events section of www.burningshed.com

http://www.thegarage.org.uk/Content/venue.asp?id=60

It's a tiny seated venue with only about 120 seats - I think there are some still left.

I'll be there if anyone from here is going

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:43 am

Sounds good, alas I am otherwise engaged otherwise I might have gone. I have just been visiting their website and it looks interesting....which brings me to ask...

Has anyone heard this?

Jakko/Kingdom of Dust featuring JBK.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:17 pm

kinki wrote:Has anyone heard this?

Jakko/Kingdom of Dust featuring JBK.

I've got Kingdom Of Dust, it's a four song EP.

From the liner notes Jakko writes:

"I wrote and recorded these four tracks with Steve, Richard and Mick with the original intention of eventually making a whole album and possibly doing some live work. However the pressures of time and previous commitments made this idea look increasingly unlikely. Rather than the few things we did disappearing without trace it was suggested that I include the songs on my forthcoming solo record (Mustard Gas and Roses). The tracks seemed to have an identity of their own though and didn't seem to fit with the rest of the material. Hence this separate mini album. Several attempts to arrive at a suitable project named proved fruitless (though very funny) and we decided to release it under my name. I am indebted to Steve, Richard and Mick for their ability, creativity, good humour and friendship despite the fact that I am now constantly bothered by young women for their phone numbers."

The date on the disk is 1994 and the songs are quite glossy and poppy, which may or may not be to your liking. They definitely are not in the usual experimental vein of JBK.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sonic_chronicler on Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:51 pm

To be honest I haven't played it in a long while. Don't remember it being that good (but could be wrong) It wasn't good enought to tempt me to buy the follow up album Mustard Gas & Roses - despite it featuring Danny Thompson, Gavin Harrison, Sam Brown, B.J. Cole, Mick Karn and Steve Jansen

Just put it on and my first thought is Level 42. Hmmmm funnily enough he playedwith them in the 90s

His website is www.jakko.com He does appear on a couple of albums by ex Japan members - Tooth Mother & Indigo Falls spring to mind

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:07 am

Hmmm, Im on the cusp of wondering whether to buy it or not! I (ahem) like Level 42 for their crisp poppiness so my ears pricked up when that reference was mentioned.....

I think it was only £3.99 on Ebay - not a great loss if it's sh*te.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season