Haruki Murakami

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Haruki Murakami

Postby arieleleven on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:45 am

Has anyone else read anything by this man? He is one of my favorites and I was wondering if there are any other fans on the board.
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:08 pm

I've only read "Norwegian Wood" by him, which I thought was okay but nothing more. I never felt that he put across why Toru was attracted to Naoko, she seemed such a nothing. If the fascination stemmed from her being the girlfriend of his best friend, I don't think that was put across either. It seemed like he felt obligated in his love for her, like he had to love her, but you never knew why.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:05 pm

heartofdavid wrote:I've only read "Norwegian Wood" by him, which I thought was okay but nothing more. I never felt that he put across why Toru was attracted to Naoko, she seemed such a nothing. If the fascination stemmed from her being the girlfriend of his best friend, I don't think that was put across either. It seemed like he felt obligated in his love for her, like he had to love her, but you never knew why.

That book is not one of my favorites of his; I recommend a book of his short stories "The Elephant Vanishes" and then last year's "Kafka on the Shore" (although there are some parts that really disturbed me in this one, overall I very much enjoyed it). I like his style and the often surreal nature of his subject matter while on the surface seemingly dealing with everyday existence, as especially shown in the two books I just mentioned. (Pardon that run-on sentence, please. :-) )
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:38 pm

Perhaps I'll give him another try, reading that one book didn't give me the interest to pursue more of his writing.

I'm not that fond of Japanese writers in general (not that I've read all that many, maybe a dozen), I find an emotional detachment in the writing. Regardless of how highly charged the situations, there's often (for me) that 'step back' from it, a withholding from total involvement. It's an odd type of restraint that I find contrary to the many of the manga I've read and the Japanese films I've seen.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:10 pm

heartofdavid wrote:Perhaps I'll give him another try, reading that one book didn't give me the interest to pursue more of his writing.

I'm not that fond of Japanese writers in general (not that I've read all that many, maybe a dozen), I find an emotional detachment in the writing. Regardless of how highly charged the situations, there's often (for me) that 'step back' from it, a withholding from total involvement. It's an odd type of restraint that I find contrary to the many of the manga I've read and the Japanese films I've seen.

I personally favor Murakami's short stories in general. If you get a chance, try "The Elephant Vanishes"; I'd be very interested in your thoughts. I am going to reread it as soon as I finish "Black Vinyl White Powder".

You have read many more Japanese writers than I have at this point. I recall reading several books by different authors sent me by Japanese pen pals in the early '80s (sadly, the names escape me now), but primarily at that time I was very much interested in the works of Yukio Mishima. He is another one whom I intend to reread very soon.

I understand what you are saying re: the apparent emotional restraint evident in the works of many Japanese writers. Because I have always tended to wear my heart on my sleeve and be very emotional myself in most aspects of my life, including my writing, I find I have a special respect and admiration for those who are able to successfully take the opposite approach (both in writing and in life itself). I do see this emotional detachment in the writings of Murakami as well, but I also see an eccentricity and/or quirkiness to many of his characters and scenarios which I find very appealing.

Anyway, if you do give any of his works another try, I would love to hear your thoughts afterward!
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:54 am

I did like the quirkiness of the other characters in that book, especially the girl from college (forgot her name).

When I discover a writer I like, I tend to devour everything I can find by them; the same if I get interested in a new genre. Currently, I'm reading a lot of gay literature because that's what I write, and I like to write very emotional stories. It's kind of a label I've been stuck with, people refer to me as a romantic writer but not mushy, fortunately, lol.

My keenest interest is in mystery and fantasy literature, and in the last year I've delved into fantasy with my writing.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:27 am

heartofdavid wrote:I did like the quirkiness of the other characters in that book, especially the girl from college (forgot her name).

When I discover a writer I like, I tend to devour everything I can find by them; the same if I get interested in a new genre. Currently, I'm reading a lot of gay literature because that's what I write, and I like to write very emotional stories. It's kind of a label I've been stuck with, people refer to me as a romantic writer but not mushy, fortunately, lol.

My keenest interest is in mystery and fantasy literature, and in the last year I've delved into fantasy with my writing.

I can't recall this character's name either, and I can't find the book right now to check. Oh well!

I am the same way when I find an author I enjoy, and to a somewhat lesser extent when I happen upon a genre that appeals to me. A friend introduced me to some of the works of Dennis Cooper some years back and I remember finding him to be a pretty engrossing read (looks like I will have to add him to my growing list of "must-rereads").

I am not extremely well-versed in either the mystery or fantasy genres but always love to investigate new things....who are your favorites in either/both?

Aside from Murakami, I like Jane Austen, many of the Beat writers (can't help it, I like the energy in a lot of it, even if it was drug-enduced :-) ), James Joyce, Milan Kundera, Annie Proulx, J.D. Salinger, Charles Bukowski, E.M. Forster, Anne Lamott and a lot of others whose names escape me now. I also once read a really amazing and surreal book called "Sophie's World" by I think a Danish writer that I need to track down again.

Your posts are so well-written that I can imagine how good your literature must be. I would love to read some of it sometime, if that doesn't sound presumptuous? At present I am working on a series of semi-autobiographical short stories...I have led a rather colorful life filled with some fairly colorful characters and many adventures and I have decided that these things need to be recorded for posterity, or at least to help me not forget any of it. :-) (Actually, it was these literary meanderings down memory lane which led me back to Japan, and it almost feels as if I never wandered away from them at all.)
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:33 pm

arieleleven wrote:[Your posts are so well-written that I can imagine how good your literature must be. I would love to read some of it sometime, if that doesn't sound presumptuous? At present I am working on a series of semi-autobiographical short stories...I have led a rather colorful life filled with some fairly colorful characters and many adventures and I have decided that these things need to be recorded for posterity, or at least to help me not forget any of it. :-) (Actually, it was these literary meanderings down memory lane which led me back to Japan, and it almost feels as if I never wandered away from them at all.)
I've been writing for only a short time, just a few years. A friend I met on Gerritt's site led me Japan and Duran slash fanfiction. I became hooked and have written quite a few stories. They do deal with male/male relationships, ratings range from PG to NC-17. I like to write using the personas, preferring not to base too much on actual history. I like to make up an imaginary world where "this is what they might have been if...". I also write other fiction and poetry. I post on livejournal, belonging to a few communities, moderate a few as well.

Here's the link to one Japan story.

http://community.livejournal.com/japan_ ... tml#cutid1

It's quite long for a fanfic. It's a David and Steve story, imagining them as teenagers in a difficult family situation and how they try to cope with it.

All my stories take something from my own experiences. I disguise that within the characters and plot, and it is cathartic to do so. The story at the link contains many things that happened to people I know, not necessarily myself.

Through that link you can get to my LJ, and see the other communities I belong to. To read many of the stories however, you must join the communities; they have rules that only those 17/18 and over can join due to the adult themes and graphic nature of many of the stories. The one I've linked is PG-13, so anyone can read it.

I find my interest in writing stretching away from fanfic, also exploring the boundaries of fanfic. I don't want to limit myself in any way. I'm not interested in writing only graphic erotica as some fanfic writers seem to be, I want to write well plotted stories with realistic characters. I do write very explicitly in many of my stories, but attempt to make that only an aspect of the story, not the focus.
Last edited by heartofdavid on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:49 pm

@ ariel - I'll come back to you on the favorite writers things, have to give that a good think. There's a few writers where those genres crossover, you get that horror/mystery thing going which can be very good, nightmares entering the real world. Something along the lines of "American Psycho" by Ellis.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:50 pm

heartofdavid wrote: It's quite long for a fanfic. It's a David and Steve story, imagining them as teenagers in a difficult family situation and how they try to cope with it.

Thanks so much for the link, heartofdavid; I have saved the pages to read as soon as I finish this post. I love that you wrote the story from the POV of Steve. He has always been the most special member of Japan to me and for reasons I have never been entirely able to fathom (aside from his ravishing good looks and immense musical talent, of course).

At the risk of possibly offending any board members here, way back in the early days of my Japan obsession, a very close friend and I used to sort of roleplay that she was David and I was Steve and even though we are both female, it was a comfortable fit and occasionally our personas seemed to blur. We used to contemplate the idea that theirs was a more than brotherly relationship and sometimes we would send each other rather, um, graphic letters as David and Steve. Alas, I no longer seem to have any of these letters...they might be kind of a gas to read now after all these years. :)

Will write more in response later. Looking forward to reading your story!
Last edited by arieleleven on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:55 pm

heartofdavid wrote:@ ariel - I'll come back to you on the favorite writers things, have to give that a good think. There's a few writers where those genres crossover, you get that horror/mystery thing going which can be very good, nightmares entering the real world. Something along the lines of "American Psycho" by Ellis.

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations you can give me. I like the idea of nightmares entering the real world...it must make for mesmerizing reading.

I was going to read "American Psycho" when it first came out but somehow never did. Luckily, it's not too late!
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:10 pm

arieleleven wrote:[I love that you wrote the story from the POV of Steve. He has always been the most special member of Japan to me and for reasons I have never been entirely able to fathom (aside from his ravishing good looks and immense musical talent, of course).

We used to contemplate the idea that theirs was a more than brotherly relationship and sometimes we would send each other rather, um, graphic letters as David and Steve. Alas, I no longer seem to have any of these letters...they might be kind of a gas to read now after all these years. :)

Will write more in response later. Looking forward to reading your story!

I like writing from Steve's POV and I like 'investigating' the relationship between the brothers. The story at the link, "Nowhere to Run", is strictly a brotherly relationship, but I have written where there is more between them in a story called "Catch the Fall." I tried to explain how that might have come about, putting in my own psychological mishmash (lol) based on a traumatic event in their childhood.

They're a popular pairing in Japan fanfic.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:06 pm

heartofdavid wrote:I like writing from Steve's POV and I like 'investigating' the relationship between the brothers. The story at the link, "Nowhere to Run", is strictly a brotherly relationship, but I have written where there is more between them in a story called "Catch the Fall." I tried to explain how that might have come about, putting in my own psychological mishmash (lol) based on a traumatic event in their childhood.

They're a popular pairing in Japan fanfic.

I'm not surprised. :) As I recall, the letters Tracy and I used to write got pretty explicit and almost seemed to write themselves. They were sort of like early fan fiction, I guess, but we were the only audience for it.

About your story: wow. Wow. You have really, really captured Steve's voice at age 15 (or how I have always imagined he would sound/be) and it was totally engrossing reading. Thanks so much again for allowing me to read it! If I sign on to Live Journal as I have been threatening to do for ages anyway, could I also read "Catch the Fall"?

I think it's great you are expanding the boundaries of your literary oeuvre and venturing into new areas. You have a very good way with setting a scene and character depiction and making the reader feel as if he/she is right there in the thick of it all.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:21 pm

arieleleven wrote:[Wow. You have really, really captured Steve's voice at age 15 (or how I have always imagined he would sound/be) and it was totally engrossing reading. Thanks so much again for allowing me to read it! If I sign on to Live Journal as I have been threatening to do for ages anyway, could I also read "Catch the Fall"?

Thank you very much!

Yes, if you sign on you can join the community; you must be a member of the community to read locked entries (those rated R or NC-17). You can also leave the community at any time.

If you do and enjoy the other story, wander around and sample more; there are two other writers besides myself, I think they write wonderfully. Having English as a second language, they do a fantastic job and also have very distinctive styles.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:27 pm

arieleleven wrote:A friend introduced me to some of the works of Dennis Cooper some years back and I remember finding him to be a pretty engrossing read (looks like I will have to add him to my growing list of "must-rereads").

I am not extremely well-versed in either the mystery or fantasy genres but always love to investigate new things....who are your favorites in either/both?

I've not read Dennis Cooper, went and looked him up on Amazon, his books sound interesting, very intense. I'll check him out at the library.

I like a lot of writers in both categories, some crossover with horror elements.

Mystery - M.C. Beaton - she does two series, Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth, very witty and fun; Shirley Rousseau Murphy, Arturo Perez-Reverte, Boris Akunin, Michael Richard Zubro, Michael Craft, Elizabeth George, P.D. James, Martha Grimes, Ruth Rendall (also writes as Barbara Vine), Edward O. Phillips.

Fantasy - Neil Gaiman, Mary Stewart, Lynn Flewelling, Ellen Kushner, Robert McCammon, James Herbert, Lewis Carroll, Piers Anthony, Roger Zelazny, and my favorite standbys, Poe and Lovecraft.

Crossover - James P. Blaylock, Clive Barker, Edogawa Rampo, Shirely Jackson, Poppy Z. Brite, Joanne Harris, Jon Lonsdale, Ramsey Campbell, Mark Z. Danielewski

General writers that I've gotten into the last year (although some of them are 'old' writers) are: David Mitchell, Mary Renault, Gore Vidal, Philip K. Dick, Alan Hollinghurst and Carol Shields. I was very impressed by the debut novel by Maria McCann, "As Meat Loves Salt."

Favorite book of all time is Bram Stoker's "Dracula." I loved the way he used letters, journal and diary entries from different characters to create a very cohesive and tragic story.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Open Season