Brett Anderson - new album

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Brett Anderson - new album

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm

Don't know if there is anyone else here who would be interested, but Brett Anderson has a new album out on Monday - Heavily influenced by Talk Talk (if the blurb is to be believed)

I'll let you know.

Brett Anderson releases his brand new solo album 'Slow Attack' on BA Songs on the 2nd November 2009.

'For those that have been aware, I've been spending the last 3 years making solo albums. The third of these, Slow Attack is due to be released on November 2nd . It is a dramatic and complex record inspired by Talk Talk , Sigur Ros and the poetry of Ted Hughes and it goes without saying, that I am immensely proud of it.' - Brett Anderson

The album was written and recorded between January and May 2009 in London and was produced and co-written by Leo Abrahams. It features 11 new songs. With a sound influenced by film soundtracks and the work of Mark Hollis, the albums instrumentation heavily features woodwind instruments, lending it a gorgeously rich pastoral quality.

Clips taken from three songs on 'Slow Attack' can be heard now on the Official Brett Anderson MySpace page: www.myspace.com/brettandersonofficial

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Brett Anderson - new album

Postby TrangLee on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:52 pm

I love Brett Anderson. This album has some great moments but overall... :cry: I feel like he's wasting his talent, and the magic of his voice...
I am new here :"> And I can't speak English very well.
TrangLee
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:31 pm

I'll probably not get it delivered for a week or so with the postal strike here
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby qdes on Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:51 am

As a young boy, Suede's Coming Up was the first album I had ever bought. After that I found britpop extremely dull and unintimate which is something I love about music.

Inspired by this topic I got my hands on all three of Brett Anderson's solo records. Some lovely stuff, especially with Wilderness but all in all a bit boring and I can imagine it gets old pretty fast. More experimentation or some electronic arrangements is something I would have liked to hear. But we'll see how it grows on me.
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Stoobie on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:44 pm

I had a listen to some of his stuff after reading this post and must admit was pleasently surprised !

may purchase the new album as a reult

Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Hmm... Having listened to it a few times I would say it falls far short of the mark if you compare it to Talk Talk/Hollis releases - its ‘ok’ as a 'pop' album, but it cannot be compared to the albums its said to be inspired by...a bit of woodwind here and a little dissonance there are not really enough, at least for me, esp. when some of the lyrics are this dire...sorry, not for me.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby TrangLee on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:57 pm

I think the main problem is, Brett Anderson's voice is getting worse and worse. He cannot reach the high notes anymore, so his songs are getting boring and poppy. "Slow Attack" has some great moments but I suppose it's an overdose of woodwind.

Back in the 90s his vocal was so beautiful and inspiring... I really loved Suede.
I am new here :"> And I can't speak English very well.
TrangLee
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby qdes on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:43 am

He released a new album about a month ago called Black Rainbows. He's getting back in to rock music with a romantic twist which I enjoyed quite a bit. Still nothing compared to Wilderness.
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Open Season