Music you ....

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Music you ....

Postby Barbierian on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:27 am

Hate.

Ok, so we've talked at length about the type of music that we love but what about a particular genre that you just can't stand/get into.

I appreciate all sorts of music and refuse to label myself as a devotee of any one sort as long as it touches me in some way whether it be on an emotional level or merely gets me tapping my foot (because even then it has affected you) but I just cannot appreciate Rap, Country & Western or Heavy Metal.

What type of music turns you off?
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Music you ....

Postby ob8 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:08 pm

i am with you there all the way though you did forget r n b !
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:15 am

Guilty as charged :wink:
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:02 pm

i will let you off just this once since you are named after my fave synthesist !
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:32 am

Music genres I dislike:

RnB
Soul
Dance
Death Metal
Electronic/Laptop (I just find it cold and unlistenable most of the time)

I do however love:

Pop
Jazz
Classical
Gospel
Soundtracks
Ambient
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:57 pm

I honestly can't name any particular genres I dislike. I like a bit of everything, though of course there are some I like more than others. I just have to be in the mood for it. I'm not a big fan of country music, but there are some decent older tunes. The newer stuff, however... oh boy.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby suzannahsylvian on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:07 am

I don't like Heavy Metal/Screamo!
Anything else i can tolerate.

I like music with a meaning and something you really get into and feel inspired by.
How can you get into music that has a man screming and squealing like a pig?
Please tell me if I'm being offensive, but PLEASE! It's so .. EWW!
Haha! x
suzannahsylvian
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby proggrl on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:48 am

suzannahsylvian wrote:How can you get into music that has a man screming and squealing like a pig?

No offense at all, people like what they like. ;) BUT - to answer your question - easily since sometimes that can have just as much meaning and emotion (if not more) than someone singing softly or "Normal".

I don't really mind a bit of growl or screamo if given the right mood. What generally turns me off is:

Rap (tho not necessarily 'rapping')
Country (tho I can appreciate good musicianship in the genre)
Music made for the sake of purely making money (see a lot of top 40 pap bands on the radio) with no sense of talent or entertainment value whatsoever. I do understand any band in that category is only my opinion.

I don't really divide out liking a category or disliking a category of music; if I like it, I like it. There are probably just as many artists/bands I don't like in categories I claim to love as there are artists/bands I Do like in categories I claim to dislike (well maybe not AS many). Gangsta rap type stuff and country/western type stuff, tho, I tend to not like at all and typically will avoid that. Anything else is fair game as far as I'm concerned.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Very good point about the bands just there to make money, especially those dreadful talent (less) shows on televsion. Then they stick out a cover version and the world thinks they have real talent, the world is mad !
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sun May 03, 2009 2:59 pm

I'm joining the party a bit late, but I like the topic a lot.

I like a lot of different genres, and I am not either an absolute devotee or hater of any of them, except for one: reaggeton.
It just break my nerves. It's all based on the same repetitive beats, there's no melody, the type of rapping they do is s**t and all the lyrics are sexists as hell.

I don't like metal and all its varieties either, mainly because they don't give any importance to the melodies, and that's killer for me. However, I can appreciate their musicianship in some aspects.

And I, to finish, I wanted to ask if by saying RnB you're meaning the decafeinated style brought by Beyoncé and co. or the original Rythm & Blues style developed by british bands in the early 60's, known as beat or bluebeat as well. More than anything, because if it happens to be the second one, you're in absolute trouble with me!! :twisted: LOL
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby davidnostalgia on Sun May 03, 2009 6:07 pm

I really don't like Hip Hop/Rap. I just don't like how it sounds and I think most of the lyrics are awful. I just totally can't relate to it. So... Rap is crap. :P

And I also really don't like Contemporary R&B (a.k.a. R&B). I do respect original Rythm and Blues (a.k.a. R&B :P) though. They both may be called R&B, but I think they are very different from each other. The new R&B is just for people who don't really seem to care about music and just listen to what most people are listening to and it basically represents everything that is wrong with music nowadays, while the old R&B was a very influential and respected style of music.

Other than Hip Hop/Rap and Contemporary R&B, I think there isn't anything I really dislike. Although when you really dislike Contemporary R&B, there seemingly isn't all that much left to listen to nowadays... and that's probably why I usually stick to listening to my own music collection, which consists mostly of music from the 1970s, 1980s, a little bit from the 1990s and the very rare occasional more recent releases by artists who still know how to make music (let me think of an example of this... errr... David Sylvian! :D).

But of course, taste in music is very subjective... so I hope I didn't hurt anyone with my comments. :P
davidnostalgia
Noob
Noob

Postby Moonshadow on Mon May 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Raeggeton, it's the worst type of music ever made if we can call that music at all
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:05 pm

Rap Reggae Heavy Metal Country Dance Classic Rock (except for the Beatles of course) harsh noise I'm sure there are others..
I generally prefer music that is difficult to categorize. Sylvian's work is a good example...he crosses boundries and has created a huge variety of work. For me, as soon as you fit neatly into a category, I tend to lose interest. Think about it...a reggae song can't be considered reggae unless it has that tried and true guitar/drum interplay present...seems lazy to me.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season