Patrick Wolf

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Patrick Wolf

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:49 am

Hello all,
I just discovered another new artist (again, for me..he's released three albums already and is about to release his fourth). His name is Patrick Wolf. I just caught wind of his new single "Vulture" and it has completly blown me away! Reminds me of a Fad Gadget meets Shriekback meets Soft Cell. Give it a whirl! ;-)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm a DIE-HARD fan of Patrick Wolf.

His three albums are stuning, and I like the new single, though it's quite different from anything he's done before.

If I'd have to pick a favourite album, I'd go with the second, Wind in the Wires, though I really love all his albums.
He's pure magic.

Oh! And if you have the chance to see him live, just do it!!!! I've seen that kind of talent sooooo few times. He's just fantastic.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Yes, I've really liked what I've heard so far. Like I said previously, I really like the new song Vulture. I've gone back and listened to all of his stuff and plan to get them all!
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Patrick Wolf

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:39 pm

Going to see Patrick June 26 in North Carolina! Can't wait...his new album The Bachelor is absolutely fantastic.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Patrick Wolf
The Bachelor
(Bloody Chamber Music)

Patrick Wolf is definitely getting better with age. While some viewed The Magic Position as a step back after his precocious and stunningly experimental first two albums, it was undoubtedly his most approachable and commercially successful work. The Bachelor is pseudo-self-released (financed by fans as well through bandstocks.com) after a split over creative differences with Universal. Wolf had total creative freedom and brings into balance the darkness and light that divided his previous albums. We know now that he has a keen awareness of the darkness of the world along with the equanimity to transform it into gorgeous songs like The Sun is Often Out, concerning the suicide of a friend. This is one of my favorites: Wolf sings against only a string section until a choir joins him for the blossoming and probably symbolically short-lived chorus. It’s clear he’s learned that restraint is more powerful in certain instances, but this hasn’t stopped him from using such an array of instruments to have initially raised the eyebrows of execs at Universal.

Hard Times is definitely much better than the initial single of Vulture, as is the video. Hard Times offers the buoyancy of The Magic Position while informing casual listeners that this album has shifted into more ominous territory. Wolf released Vulture first (and a video wherein he’s rolling around in not nearly enough bondage leather to cover his ass) probably to declare “Hey, this is NOT going to be another Magic Position! I'm going to use a synthesizer and you're going to like it!” Many songs on this album channel Fischerspooner and Wolf’s showmanship is definitely on par with theirs as well, in a “we might look fucking scary but we are here to party” sort of way. Tilda Swinton’s spoken portions begin powerfully but grow a bit tiresome and melodramatic by the time we reach the otherwise stellar Theseus. I could do without her breathy echoes on that one. Still, there’s not too much bad to say about The Bachelor.

The power of this album comes from the mystifyingly cohesive blend of piano ballads, orchestral choirs, heavy metal, and completely danceable electronic. Nearly each song builds toward a crescendo ending, making them feel relatively traditional. The title track is reminiscent of Overture, from his previous album, which I find to be the strongest song on that album (other than The Magic Position, duh, I’m not an idiot). The Bachelor isn’t really a huge departure, and I’m shocked that Universal let it get away. It’s loaded with commercial appeal, almost offering something for everyone. As hard core as songs like Battle get, this is surely a refinement of his skills, whether Wolf wants to see it that way or not. And here’s the beauty in reviewing him: he doesn’t give a shit what I think. He really is just a colorful, creative explosion making whatever it is that he’s going to make for as long as he wants to make it. It’s sheer coincidence that this ourpouring happens to be incredible most of the time. The Conqueror, originally conceived at the same time as The Bachelor is due out in 2010, and I can't wait. It's near completion as well, but he didn't want to overload us. Thanks, Patrick. He can drag it out into two different tours now, too, and I have a feeling that he enjoys the live gigs.

So David Bowie’s son is carrying on a fine tradition of avant-garde musicality, showmanship, and limitless creativity (not to mention ambiguous sexuality etc. etc.). Wait, what? He’s not? Are you sure?
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:42 pm

You're sooooo lucky!!

The closest he's coming to me is Portugal!!! Argh!!

I can't go... I'm unemployed and I'm already going to see Placebo in Granada ( 600 km away from home ha!) I really hope he does more shows after the release of Battle 2 'The Conqueror', so I've finally found a job and can afford going to another cities to see acts LOL

You're right - The Bachelor is just incredible. I can't stop listening to it. Lately I usually go to the park to see the sunset while I listen to it...It's so powerful.

He's one of my absolute favourites, and he keeps getting better and better.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:47 pm

The show was incredible! One of the best shows I've ever seen! he is even more talented as a performer than I could have hoped. There were only about 75 people at this really small club (Cat's Cradle in North Carolina) and I did get to meet him. An absolute dream of an evening! The Bachelor is a great album.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:16 am

Yeah, he's great live.
I actually discovered him live. A good friend of mine took me to his show in Madrid in 2005... When it finished, I wans't the same person.

I'm glad you liked it, and got to meet him!!! He seems to be such a nice guy :)
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:13 am

btw I also agree with Wind in the Wires being my fave...I like ALL of them, esp the new one, but overall Wind is very, very special...something about it's mostly pastoral feel really makes it a great driving record. My friend and I listened to it on the way home from the show...it blended very nicely with the rural scenery...fields, hay bales, horses, farm houses...etc. Very nice...I was so happy that he opened our show with Teignmouth...which is my fave song by him...our show was mostly slow for the first half which I did not expect and was delighted by...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:19 am

Hello all, just in case some of you have not heard Patrick Wolf, here is a video of the opening track for the show I saw in North Carolina. The track is called Teignmouth and is from his second album Wind in the Wires. Enjoy! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNuB-fpOcjs
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:38 pm

Teighmouth is my favourite too!!

Wind in the Wires is a very special record. It's one of those albums that takes me away every time I listen to it.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season