Anyone interested in discussing weight loss? (II)

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Anyone interested in discussing weight loss? (II)

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:46 pm

Hey hey,

I know a lot of people out there have made New Year's resolutions and weight loss is usually pretty high on these lists.... Including mine!

Here's a thread where you can come and talk about weight loss... Whether you're planning it, living it, living with it, or have completed it! Talk about your diet/exercise, rewards, ups and downs... Anything about weight loss.

Before and after pics are fine if you want to post them... I find them super inspiring! I wish everyone on here who is currently struggling with weight loss good luck reaching their goals!

Discuss!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:27 am

Hey Kera! Good luck losing weight. I am currently on a diet as well. I meant to start right after Xmas but I kept postponing it. I've been with it around 2 weeks and I have lost around 2 kilos (3 or 4 pounds). I lost 6 kilos more previously last year, but then stopped dieting. I hope that now I can get rid of at least 5 kilos more, but 10 would be fantastic!

Good luck to everyone trying :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby S4pB on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:03 pm

I'm still dreamin' to gave a boyish shape, but that requires too much efforts! :-D
But the main points of being slim are very easy though.. They are like:
1. Accepting a new outlook on food culture and health. As a part time restrictions any diet has too many faults and in the future all the weight lost may come back..
2. Keep to a balanced nutrition with maximum possible number of the most natural products we can get on a farm - vegetables, cereal, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, fruits, and sea food, green tea, mineral water and juice. The less sophisticated way of cooking is the better - boiling, stewing, baking. Less adipose and more vegetable fat. So any substitute products are to be left abroad. to eat in less portion with no tv/pc or chatting, but 5 times a day supposed to be better ;) Excessive hunger is a high risk of eating much more than you need.. so, drink a herbal tea before sitting at the table. Make yourself a gift of a nice small plate so that you won't be able to put too much food onto?
no chips, no coke, no burgers. they don't exist for Your Beauty.
3. Get a copy of physical exercises course videotape or dvd? For example Claudia Schiffer's "Perfectly Fit Legs and Buns/Arms and ABS". Physical activity should be possibly regular. any short break would easy turn into the long one ;)
4. Never stress yourself and make yourself a gift of a small biscuit with a cup of coffee if you wish it badly, a 15g piece of dark chocolate, a teaspoon of honey.. if your mind and body got tired there's a high chance of breaking all these up :-D

Nothing sophisticated..
I've tried many various tricks in about 10 years and I found that more natural and evident are the best ones, although they seem boring sometimes and taking more time..
But some individual tendencies should also be take into account..
Hope, that could help anyone!!!

Every person is beautiful for their talents, sense of humor, mental strength and wisdom, unique style and self-confidence.. many unpretty and imperfect men and women seem to be incredibly charming and nice!!!
Self-confidence is very important;)
"Well, welcome to the ocean, welcome to the sea, welcome to the jungle deep inside of me.."
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:20 pm

Yeah self confidence is where I am really failling...

Thanks for the tips! :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby S4pB on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:42 pm

sisterlondon wrote:Yeah self confidence is where I am really failling...

Thanks for the tips! :)

Everyone is unique and special! :wink:
..and there's often a big difference between how we see ourselves and how others see us.. I think that is something about David in it.. the hardest trick is to step over one's fears and shyness and behave just as you wish to and to look natural with it.. oh, I went slightly off top :oops:

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.." - Kurt Vonnegut
"Well, welcome to the ocean, welcome to the sea, welcome to the jungle deep inside of me.."
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:18 pm

..and there's often a big difference between how we see ourselves and how others see us

True, thought it's very difficult seeing yourself as the others do (even if they say that you are wonderful, or maybe because of that...)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:46 pm

S4pB wrote:I'm still dreamin' to gave a boyish shape, but that requires too much efforts! :-D

Oh I can imagine! I'm not sure I want a boyish shape... But I wouldn't want a very curvy one. My ideal pants size would be a 0-4 (US size), but I think I'll have to settle for a 6-8 if I can even get that!

S4pB wrote:But the main points of being slim are very easy though.. They are like:
1. Accepting a new outlook on food culture and health. As a part time restrictions any diet has too many faults and in the future all the weight lost may come back..

I know. Before I thought I could just to slim fast and keep the weight off forever! The foreboding part of it is it's a lifestyle change... You just have to mentally prepare for it.

S4pB wrote:2. Keep to a balanced nutrition with maximum possible number of the most natural products we can get on a farm - vegetables, cereal, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, fruits, and sea food, green tea, mineral water and juice. The less sophisticated way of cooking is the better - boiling, stewing, baking. Less adipose and more vegetable fat. So any substitute products are to be left abroad. to eat in less portion with no tv/pc or chatting, but 5 times a day supposed to be better ;) Excessive hunger is a high risk of eating much more than you need.. so, drink a herbal tea before sitting at the table. Make yourself a gift of a nice small plate so that you won't be able to put too much food onto?
no chips, no coke, no burgers. they don't exist for Your Beauty.

I agree. I don't know how it is in Europe, but processed pre-packaged foods are the big thing over here. Granted, I don't really think shelf foods are as bad as people make them seem. I think people make things complicated with what kind of sweetener you use, if it's processed, if it's not organic, blah blah... Right now, I want to keep it simple and just keep fat, sugar, and most importantly calories down! ... I hear a lot of people who have lost weight say nothing tastes as good as thin feels... I hope to feel that some day!

S4pB wrote:3. Get a copy of physical exercises course videotape or dvd? For example Claudia Schiffer's "Perfectly Fit Legs and Buns/Arms and ABS". Physical activity should be possibly regular. any short break would easy turn into the long one ;)

OK I am notorious for the last thing you said!!! If you skip one day, you'll end up skipping a few days a week, or even a few days in a row! It has to be consistent and you can't let yourself slip. Right now I am doing 20 minutes on a bike machine, and 20 minutes on an elliptical. When the weather starts warming up (which it is now) I'm going to run/walk a mile every day. I did it today and wow my shins hurt!

S4pB wrote:4. Never stress yourself and make yourself a gift of a small biscuit with a cup of coffee if you wish it badly, a 15g piece of dark chocolate, a teaspoon of honey.. if your mind and body got tired there's a high chance of breaking all these up :-D

I agree. If you don't treat yourself once in a while, you're likely to go on huge binges!

S4pB wrote:Nothing sophisticated..
I've tried many various tricks in about 10 years and I found that more natural and evident are the best ones, although they seem boring sometimes and taking more time..
But some individual tendencies should also be take into account..
Hope, that could help anyone!!!

Yep. It's just simple math... Calories in < calories out.... But it's tough!!

S4pB wrote:Every person is beautiful for their talents, sense of humor, mental strength and wisdom, unique style and self-confidence.. many unpretty and imperfect men and women seem to be incredibly charming and nice!!!
Self-confidence is very important;)

So sweet and so true! Thanks so much for your post and your tips!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Simonp on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:55 am

All i want to say on this matter being someone who is 2 stone overweight...I don't think people realise how DIFFICULT it is emotionally to be overweight and desperately want to shift some of the excess fat. I feel I am in a catch 22 situation. I try to cut back/down on what I eat but the moment I experience stress in my life I don't turn to alcohol or drugs, I turn to chocolate. Comfort eating for me is almost like an addicition I cannot free myself on and I hate it when people mock those who are unfortunate not to be a size 10 or whatever.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby S4pB on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Silver Moon wrote: Oh I can imagine! I'm not sure I want a boyish shape... But I wouldn't want a very curvy one. My ideal pants size would be a 0-4 (US size), but I think I'll have to settle for a 6-8 if I can even get that!

I believe Your idea will be a reality soon, if You won't drop and be insistent! That is success! :wink:
I'm not that good in understanding sizes, but after all the holidays my wight is something about 54 kg and height is about 5'3''..
I think, some people often underestimate the importance of both healthy nutrition and physical activity.. though it never should be driven to extreme as training many hours a day, but something well known as elementary hygiene or something.. and that won't be so difficult if the children have been brought up with it. but everything is in the progress now:) though it scares sometimes.. I mean the progress :-D

Silver Moon wrote:OK I am notorious for the last thing you said!!! If you skip one day, you'll end up skipping a few days a week, or even a few days in a row! It has to be consistent and you can't let yourself slip. Right now I am doing 20 minutes on a bike machine, and 20 minutes on an elliptical. When the weather starts warming up (which it is now) I'm going to run/walk a mile every day. I did it today and wow my shins hurt!

Yeah, that's such an evil human scourge! It's a bit mind stressing to force yourself to do something you should, but one should always remember that an effort to overwhelm the laziness or so makes the final prize just closer and closer and even that idea is enough reward I think:) it's a pleasure to fight one's own weakness!
But how much time it requires to pay attention to physical exercises, learning, musical practice and any other sort of creativity.. I wish it was at least 30 hours a day.. :roll:

Silver Moon wrote: Yep. It's just simple math... Calories in < calories out.... But it's tough!!

I'm very bad at math! :-D I just try to avoid late or excessive meal and to substitute some inappropriate temptations out of fridge with possibly more healthy or reduce them to a minimum :-D If I notice no changes or negative ones, I reduce everything a bit.. :D

Silver Moon wrote:So sweet and so true! Thanks so much for your post and your tips!

Thank You, Kera, for sharing Your opinions!!! :-* I think that community spirit is very motivating, even a distant one! And everything will be as we want it to be! We just have to believe in ourselves and remember that "life's what you make it" - we can built a fairytale with our power of mind, strength and will to achieve that secret dream.. no matter what it is ;)
I wish everyone feeling great and comfortable!!!
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby S4pB on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Simonp wrote:All i want to say on this matter being someone who is 2 stone overweight...I don't think people realise how DIFFICULT it is emotionally to be overweight and desperately want to shift some of the excess fat. I feel I am in a catch 22 situation. I try to cut back/down on what I eat but the moment I experience stress in my life I don't turn to alcohol or drugs, I turn to chocolate. Comfort eating for me is almost like an addicition I cannot free myself on and I hate it when people mock those who are unfortunate not to be a size 10 or whatever.

Sorry to hear, Simon! But You shouldn't mind other people, cos' everyone has any sort of personal probs and addictions. Just try to reduce the amount of portions just a little and the very idea would be much more exciting and sweet! Be attentive to every piece You take in Your mouth, feel the taste and love it.. Don't talk and watch tv or read when having lunch.. and.. choose something else?.. Passion for art - music or painting to keep Your mind busy and soul relaxing? Chatting with a friend, aromatherapy, taking a herbal bath?
There can be invented many tricks, but they would work if You believe that everything is possible and love Yourself! :wink:
I experienced enough and in that and for the girl it could be a real tragedy, but I learnt something valuable... Now I think that 5 years ago I won't believe that I can change that much :-D
Forgive me, please, if I said any nonsense!
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Anyone interested in discussing weight loss? (II)

Postby Steerpike on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:08 am

Silver Moon wrote:Hey hey,

I know a lot of people out there have made New Year's resolutions and weight loss is usually pretty high on these lists.... Including mine!

Here's a thread where you can come and talk about weight loss... Whether you're planning it, living it, living with it, or have completed it! Talk about your diet/exercise, rewards, ups and downs... Anything about weight loss.

Before and after pics are fine if you want to post them... I find them super inspiring! I wish everyone on here who is currently struggling with weight loss good luck reaching their goals!

Discuss!

-Kera-

I'm forever on a diet! So good luck with yours Kera and I'll keep you updated with mine!
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:30 pm

hey kera, we haven't talked about this in a long time. LOL we weren't very good inspiration for each other were we??
Well I didn't make a resolution for the new year, but i did tell myself i was making a comittment to myself as I turn 40 next week.
I started walking regularly and stretching. Next on the list is to add Pilates and Yoga for larger size people. I decided I was no longer worrying about losing weight but getting healthy and feeling better.
I have cut way back on the amount of sugar i was consuming during the holidays, I have been off caffeinated coffee for about a year now, and I try to eat mostly organic and hormone free - especially dairy and meats when/if i eat them. I do that because the hormones they pump into animals when they aren't organic are having a majorly bad effect upon my hormones. I've noted a significant change since I made this change. And, I'm working on reducing my portion sizes.
I'm also working very hard at just accepting and loving myself exactly as I am. I was not put here to feel badly about myself and be miserable all because i don't fit into some societal stereotype. We have to get right with ourselves in the end...
So I don't do diets.... I do have concern about the health of the one tangible body i have to use during this lifetime :-)

*Group Hug*
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:53 am

That's great, Gods!

People who take it slow, or do it for health reasons are more likely to be better off and committed in the end, anyhow. My weight loss is slow right now (about 1 to 2 lbs a week) But since the beginning of the year I have lost 20 lbs and 25 lbs all together... Yay me!!

Had a really really bad weekend last week... Probably the worst binge ever... But I am recovering!

Does anyone on here ever watch the biggest loser, by the way?

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:29 am

Wow Kera that is a huge weight loss, congrats!

Since last month I have lost 3 kilos and a half (around 7 pounds or so). Before, on the previous year, I managed to get rid of 6 kilos more (around 12 pounds). So I'm not doing bad and I'm progressing well. Though nextw eek I am going ona trip to the US and I want to be able to eat a bit of everything!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:43 pm

kera that is great! I know binges are very hard... You really need to stop either during it, before it starts or even after and really journal about why you perhaps went that route instead of sticking to it.

I used to watch biggest loser but it has gotten all about the game and not about the weight loss or the individual anymore. I don't care for it anymore.

I have been terribly sick for the last couple of weeks and it is still going strong... so i haven't been walking. :-( All I do is take my antibiotics. Man when i get sick i get SICK!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season