Guilty pleasures

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Guilty pleasures

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:56 pm

WHat is the one thing you can't help yourself from doing, buying or thinking about that later on you wish you'd just not done it or could stop it????

Mine is compulsively buying books ... I have at least 50 books right now I want to read. And just bought about 7 more yesterday. I swear my house looks like a library, between what I have read and what I want to read. I just LOVE books. I love the paper they are printed on, i love the covers, I love the binding... i love all the words... I just can't seem to help myself.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:21 pm

One should never feel guilty for reading. :) You should always be proud that you have the focus to read entire books. Too many people are getting more and more intellectually lazy as the decades pass by. I happen to believe that we have a large constituency of readers around this website --- I myself tend to overindulge in books dealing with political history from the last 50 years or so.
Nearly eating a half gallon of chocolate ice cream while reading a book...Now that is something to feel guilty about. :oops:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tanya80 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:46 pm

sounds like u have an excellent collection Gods, u shouldn't feel bad about doing that :)...the onething i can't kept stop doing is trying not to eat so much sweets & pizza :)....i'm a sucker for sweets, seems like my meals are based on pizza, hot pockets & pastas on frequent basis..
Tanya80
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:04 pm

listening to the new Coldplay album.......and liking it! :-D

I'm a compulsive album buyer, I often have to set a spending limit before I go into a record store, then mix and match what I found until it fits.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Ok I compulsively buy certain types of books at certain times. I always buy lots of photographer's books and things relating to certain photographers I love. My way of trying to not feel guilty for this is saying it has to do with my job. LOL I guess I feel guilty about buying books because i buy books instead of paying bills i have. Ooops tee hee
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:50 pm

This topic just makes me think of the concept of songs you don't feel you should like, but do anyway. In my case an example of this would be... Take That's Shine. Taxi! TAXI!!! Quick as you like, I'm outta here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:15 pm

anortherncod wrote:This topic just makes me think of the concept of songs you don't feel you should like, but do anyway. In my case an example of this would be... Take That's Shine. Taxi! TAXI!!! Quick as you like, I'm outta here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Natasha

Oh, what a relief, then it's not just me. I actually find myself singing along to the Morrisons adverts. As Baddiel and Newman would say, "Ring Freephone Sad B*st*rd"

My saddest guilty pleasure is probably "Gold" by Spandau Ballet

Posted by godisinthesilences
LOL I guess I feel guilty about buying books because i buy books instead of paying bills i have.

I think Erasmus had a line a bit like that. Not soemthing to feel guilty about at all - I envy your artistic integrity and well-defined priorities.
Last edited by Melaszka on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:28 pm

anortherncod wrote:This topic just makes me think of the concept of songs you don't feel you should like, but do anyway. In my case an example of this would be... Take That's Shine. Taxi! TAXI!!! Quick as you like, I'm outta here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Natasha

Hey, wait! I'm coming into that cab! I like this song too...I don't know if it's because it's really good, or just because Take That was the first band i used to be a fan of, since i was 6 years old until i was like 12, and i just prefer to remain loyal...

I feel guilty for loving some new and young bands and musicians, while i keep slandering all the young generation-saying they don't know what real music is all about.
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:44 pm

Ok how about guilty pleasures that have nothing to do with music.....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:47 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:Ok how about guilty pleasures that have nothing to do with music.....

Mine is the same as your initial post, Gods, compulsive book buying - mostly fiction but a lot of nonfiction too; I also buy a lot of comics, manga and graphic novels. I make a bad effort at justifying that I don't spend all that much since I buy a lot secondhand, but I buy probably just as many new. I try every so often to sort, donate and pass along books, but I'm still buried by them - simply have run out of room to store them all.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:33 am

karnsculpture wrote:Natasha, that's just wrong...

I know Paul! But I can't help myself... :oops: :lol:

karnsculpture wrote:Other guilty pleasures are Wallnut Whips - rarely seen these days

They're hard to find now are they? :shock: What's the world coming to?!?

The PTFers among you will know that one of my non-musical guilty pleasures is vanilla slices :D However, I've managed to curb my consumption of sweet things quite successfully and have lost a stone. So really in my case it comes back to music. For example, I used my overdraft last Thursday to buy three No-Man albums...
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Holmewood on Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:01 am

Space: 1999 and The Sarah-Jane Adventures.

Space: 1999 - how that takes me back! How I longed for my very own Comlock and Stungun set...I mean, the Comlock was the iPhone of its day!

The scripts were, er, sparse should we say, the acting wooden, the physics highly improbable, the stories implausible, the outfits hilarious but the technology and cinematography made up for that, and it had Maya - brilliant stuff.

I just wish I had kept my full set of Eagle transporters: marvellous things...
Holmewood

Postby Melaszka on Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:43 am

godisinthesilences wrote:Ok how about guilty pleasures that have nothing to do with music.....

Fry's chocolate cream, crystallised pineapple, crystallised violets. Pulp fantasy novels (the kind where characters are called things like Lord Tarragon and Princess Myrjip, ride round on horseback wearing cloaks, and talk in cod mediaevalisms while casting spells, fighting dragons and behaving wildly anachronistically), pulp detective fiction. Buying kitsch Japan memorabilia off E-Bay.
Last edited by Melaszka on Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 am

Buying kitsch Japan memorabilia off E-Bay.

what sort of "kitsch" memorabilia???? I've not seen anything too interesting on ebay for a while now.

Oh my other guilty pleasure.... Stargate Atlantis (and SG-1). I swear i get so upset if people phone me up while they are on even if i've seen the episode before!
Also.... I keep buying Holga cameras.... I can't seem to help myself. I just bought a pink one on saturday. You know I'm going to have to buy two more cause they have a pretty blue one and a pretty lavender one. Don't need them... just want them... but i'm certain I'll find some reason or other not to pay a bill so i can have them. LOL
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Open Season