Currently reading?

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Currently reading?

Postby lastgoldstar on Sun May 28, 2006 9:55 pm

I picked up The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde today at Barnes & Noble, and a Buddhism book (the title eludes me at the moment). And I think I need to reread Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince soon.

What are you lot reading?
Last edited by lastgoldstar on Sun May 28, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun May 28, 2006 10:24 pm

Oh, good topic!

Finished As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann yesterday, very good period piece novel set during the revolutionary war in England, theme is homosexual love. Started The Fencing Master by Perez-Reverte, interesting so far, lot of political intrigue.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sun May 28, 2006 10:30 pm

waaay too busy packing the house right now to really get into heavy reading---of course I'm doing pretty good here reading this forum :-D
but, I have lined up to read:

Go Ask Orge--about a young girl suffering from self-mutilation disorder.

Killing Bono--about a mate of Bono's trying to break into celebrity in Bono's shadow so-to-speak

This winter I read Davids' Biography and the newest Duran Duran bio as well.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Mon May 29, 2006 6:33 am

krausy wrote:Go Ask Orge--about a young girl suffering from self-mutilation disorder.

Killing Bono--about a mate of Bono's trying to break into celebrity in Bono's shadow so-to-speak

David's bio - as in 'The Last Romantic'?

The Bono book, I'm assuming that's fiction? And Go Ask Orge sounds interesting but disturbing.

Im not a huge reader of fiction - I like non-fiction, especially reading about tales of survival/endurance. Having said that I've just finished the Da Vinci Code, which was very enjoyable....
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Mon May 29, 2006 8:24 am

kinki wrote:
krausy wrote:Go Ask Orge--about a young girl suffering from self-mutilation disorder.

David's bio - as in 'The Last Romantic'?

The Bono book, I'm assuming that's fiction? And Go Ask Orge sounds interesting but disturbing.

Im not a huge reader of fiction - I like non-fiction, especially reading about tales of survival/endurance. Having said that I've just finished the Da Vinci Code, which was very enjoyable....

yes to the David bio question--I also read a Tourist's Guide to Japan.

The Orge book is written by the girl herself--she has since grown up and recovered from her disorder.

The Bono book I believe is mostly fictional but the author is a friend of Bono's.

I grown to like nonfiction books over fiction. I feel like I learn more that way.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon May 29, 2006 9:32 am

I'm reading Beginning Buddhism by Thebon Chodron, a small book on Kuan Yin, Divine Guidance by Doreen Virture ( i really love all of her books), and Garden Witchery. I'm nearly done with the Buddhism book and will begin reading a biography on Shree Maa.
I have more books to read than time... Sometimes I wish I had time to just sit and read and read and read.
Last edited by godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Mon May 29, 2006 5:12 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:I have more books to read than time... Sometimes I wish I had time to just sit and read and read and read.

Ah me too. It takes me ages to read a book....usually about a year.....there's always something else to do!

I grown to like nonfiction books over fiction. I feel like I learn more that way.

Hmm know what you mean - though I wish I could get into reading more fiction, if only so I could join in clever conversations about literature... :wink:
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Currently reading?

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon May 29, 2006 10:28 pm

lastgoldstar wrote:I picked up The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde today at Barnes & Noble, and a Buddhism book (the title eludes me at the moment). And I think I need to reread Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince soon.

What are you lot reading?

I read dorian grey last year and i was getting pretty bored during it until the twists and turns of dorian's life started to kick in. It was such an amazing read....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Tue May 30, 2006 8:27 am

John Gardner - Grendel. Beautiful take on the old Beowulf classic. This is one of those books that is so good I keep loaning it to people and never getting it back! Finally I found it again and I'm not letting it go.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue May 30, 2006 10:49 am

Progrl...that book definately sounds amazing... i will keep my eyes out for it
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:00 pm

Desert Sons by Mark Kendrick. A coming out story, two teenage boys. Eh, it's al right so far.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:52 pm

Just borrowed two books by the Dalai Lama ... think I'll try those out before reading the Shree Ma biography.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sylvian girl on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:45 pm

Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar. Its quickly becoming one of my favourite ever books.
sylvian girl
Regular
Regular

Postby Bap De La Bap on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:33 am

Cronenberg on Cronenberg.

Covers the distance between the films 'Shivers' and 'M.Butterfly'.

The book is brimming with passion and his innermost vitriol is reserved for the censors.
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden
Bap De La Bap
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:20 pm

sylvian girl.... i read that book two years ago. It was pretty .... well too similar to episodes in my own life. I found it wonderfully disturbing. Have you seen the movie Sylvia? Check it out if you haven't...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Open Season