Disclaimer: I'm not an actual sorrow box.

Tell us a little bit about you...

Postby sorrowbox on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:22 am

proggrl wrote:Cos the rest of your money would be gone due to "the many versions and re-issues and extra-super-special [ultra-limited -ed.] editions". ... Honestly - I had to get a second job!!!

*blinks* Oh dear. Okay, I looked him up on Discogs.com and so far I haven't really heard of any of his works, which means I'm safe for now. (I'm also glad I never got into collecting the bazillion items of Depeche Mode stuff, because that would drive anyone insane. A friend once proudly told me that he even bought DeMo vinyl LPs that were completely identical safe for a different coloring, and I guess that impressed me... on a negative level.)

Melaszka wrote:Gender issues really interest me, too.

Hee. Out of curiosity, I checked out some of your posts and found the "liberty boy" threads. Loved your statements, but was also impressed by the general response from the various forum members -- like I said in my intro post, the tone was a big plus in my decision to register. Many of the issues discussed (e.g. the "stuff male fans do is serious, stuff female fans do is unimportant or ridiculous" attitude) are familiar to me, be it in the context of comics fandom, slash fandom, or the blogosphere in general. However, discussions can get nasty real quick when you bring up those issues, so it was great to see how well and level-headed they were handled here. (Disclaimer: I'm not saying that you always have to be nice and kind and all-tolerant in those discussions. I refer to the blissful absence of things like hurtful generalizations or flaming, and how the admins/mods take care of spam, insults et cetera.)

So, yes, so far I feel quite comfortable here. Still shy, but comfortable. : )
sorrowbox
Noob
Noob

Postby anortherncod on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:40 am

sorrowbox wrote:
proggrl wrote:
Melaszka wrote:Gender issues really interest me, too.

Hee. Out of curiosity, I checked out some of your posts and found the "liberty boy" threads. Loved your statements, but was also impressed by the general response from the various forum members -- like I said in my intro post, the tone was a big plus in my decision to register. Many of the issues discussed (e.g. the "stuff male fans do is serious, stuff female fans do is unimportant or ridiculous" attitude) are familiar to me, be it in the context of comics fandom, slash fandom, or the blogosphere in general. However, discussions can get nasty real quick when you bring up those issues, so it was great to see how well and level-headed they were handled here. (Disclaimer: I'm not saying that you always have to be nice and kind and all-tolerant in those discussions. I refer to the blissful absence of things like hurtful generalizations or flaming, and how the admins/mods take care of spam, insults et cetera.)

[quote]

Well, after the "liberty boy" saga, the United Nations approached us because of our successful handling of sensitive issues!!! It was tough, but it paid off in the end. :D

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 am

Well, after the "liberty boy" saga, the United Nations approached us because of our successful handling of sensitive issues!!! It was tough, but it paid off in the end. :D

Natasha

Hmmm, yes, that wasn't very nice, but, as you suggest it could have been a lot worse.
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sorrowbox on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:10 am

Perhaps I'm just too... okay, "spoiled" is not the right word here... let's say, I've seen so much worse that this environment is, um, quite refreshing. Sure, it wasn't nice, but conflict never is, and besides, unless someone's a downright troll, you're never happy to see forum members leave. Of course I'm in no position to comment on the story as a whole, because a) I wasn't there and b) I jumped in via a link to specific posts and skimmed the threads. But it really makes a difference whether you dismiss someone as a jerk and start flaming, or explain why some particular statements or attitudes are offensive or uncalled for. So far I found the latter, not the former, and I appreciate that.

Sure, could still be there are some really stinky skeletons hidden in the board closet and I'll soon regret having come here, but at the moment I like my happy bubble. It's shiny.
sorrowbox
Noob
Noob

Postby Astronaut on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:16 am

sorrowbox wrote:Sure, could still be there are some really stinky skeletons hidden in the board closet and I'll soon regret having come here, but at the moment I like my happy bubble. It's shiny.

Hey, I like that - a shiny happy bubble! LOL! :-D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nabiky B. on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:04 pm

Welcome Sorrowbox !!!!
Music is timeless so it doesn't matter if you was born at 1978 the important is have the chance to know it and share it with the people and this is the perfect place my friend :wink:
Niece to hear abou you!
See ya!

Nabiky B.

Nabiky B.
Regular
Regular

Postby girl about town on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:53 pm

Hello sorrowbox,

Welcome with open arms! You are you and that makes you great. Enjoy life, be good to all mankind and you can't go far wrong!

Namaste,

girl about town
"These are years with a genius for living"

Mr Sylvian
girl about town
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:59 am

Welcome to the boards :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing