Quiet Life re-master and re-release

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Quiet Life re-master and re-release

Postby Blemished on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:50 am

Sure you're all aware, but from Steve's Twitter:

Japan's classic album 'Quiet Life' reissued on 05.03 as deluxe edition. Half-speed remaster/alternative mixes/rarities and sought after live material across 1LP & 3CDs. Deluxe includes renewed original artwork and brand new liner notes. Pre-Order here:

https://Japanband.lnk.to/QuietLifeFA

The full monty version seems to be selling out very quickly in various online shops, hopefully not just to eBay scalpers who will be asking £200 plus for it when they're all gone. Really detest those people.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Quiet Life re-master and re-release

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 am

Thanks for the reminder.

More information on https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news ... e-box-set/
Fans from the UK might want to order it from https://burningshed.com/japan_quiet-life-deluxe_boxset
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 am

Blemished wrote:Sure you're all aware, but from Steve's Twitter:

Japan's classic album 'Quiet Life' reissued on 05.03 as deluxe edition. Half-speed remaster/alternative mixes/rarities and sought after live material across 1LP & 3CDs. Deluxe includes renewed original artwork and brand new liner notes. Pre-Order here:

https://Japanband.lnk.to/QuietLifeFA

The full monty version seems to be selling out very quickly in various online shops, hopefully not just to eBay scalpers who will be asking £200 plus for it when they're all gone. Really detest those people.

Just noticed that you can get some extra's when you order it from the official site mentioned above.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:09 am

I'm listening to a promotional copy of the single-CD version of this re-master. Wow, does this sound good!
This album has aged very well and this new edition does justice to my favorite Japan-LP (together with Tin Drum).
Anthony Reynolds wrote the liner notes, with a reverence to A Foreign Place.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:57 am

In a recent interview Richard Barbieri told he had mixed feelings about this release. He's very pleased with the new remaster, but is very disappointed by the live-CD that is included. And as I'm now listening to that disk I can't blame him: it's an audience-recording with a lot of screaming girls. It seems Barbieri rejected the recording to the record-company after which BMG didn't want to talk to him anymore. Steve Jansen and Rob Dean agreed with Barbieri. Well, that's sad. There must be more in the faults that sounds better than this, although it's nice to hear this 1980-recording. The whole set looks beautiful b.t.w. :D
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Nightporter on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:12 am

Although I have not actively been collecting Japan vinyl or collectable items as such for some now, I did take the plunge and buy the 'Quiet Life Delux box-set', probably out of nostalgia if nothing else.

The packaging really is first-class (and probably the highlight for me) bright, crisp and recapturing the mood and tone of those heady days gone by. Even though the marketing blurd described a book, in fact it is a 'booklet' and nothing more athough I did like the vinyl covers display a nice touch I thought.

Anyway, the album itself does sound crisp and fresh although, I confess to not being a expert as to whether it is better than any of the subsequent releases over the years. It does sound good and for me that is all that matters.

I was a little non-plussed at the second disc of remix's etc. mainly because it was Disc 3 that caught my attention from the beginning.....

There has been a lot of comments made about the quality of the Budokan recording, some I think are valid and a lot I think are not. The concert took place a cool 41 years ago now, and on reading the pre-reviews of this release there was perceived outrage at the sound quality, in particular of the audience participation (screaming girls mostly). For myself, this recording is not the disaster that many have cited it as. The tracklisting perfectly illustrates the transition from Obscure Alternatives into the Quiet Life sphere, with a great selection of tracks covering this moment in their evolution. Sure, the sound quality isn't 'Oil on Canvas' or the celebrated 'Polaroid' bootleg, I don't think it was ever going to be, it is exaclty what it is....an audience recording from a time when the humble cassette tape was the beholder of countless concerts in a time before countless recording formats and platforms. A soundbord recording of a concert from those heady days would be great however, I am not holding my breath any of these will be seeing the light of day soon.

So in conclusion, I like Disc 3 and consider it a worthy companion to the 'Quiet Life' album, some will disagree but really, what were people expecting? espacially, as I for one was not expecting to see any Japan related issues like this ever hitting the shelves again. My only criticism is I would of liked to of seen a genuine 'book' containing unreleased photos etc. but you cannot have everything I guess.

(just my 2p).
The Nightporter
Regular
Regular

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia