Rain tree crow- who else found it disappointing at the time.

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby anortherncod on Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:06 am

Melaszka wrote:Don't get me started. I get very annoyed when people say that we are living in a "post-feminist" age where feminism is "unnecessary", as women already have "equality." The fact that attitudes still persist that girls don't really understand or appreciate music and only like bands who look pretty and they can "stick on their pencil cases" demonstrates how far we still have to go. Oh, and the attitude that any band more popular with girls than boys must, by definition, be musically cr*p.

I'll second that Mel...

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby liberty boy on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:44 am

I don't think it's a feminist issue. Duran Duran were as naff as the metal bands that boys of the equivalent age were into.

Moreover as I've run into a degree of disagreement on this site. I shall leave you all be. There isn't much scope for anyone serious about their music to be diplomatic about Duran Duran.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby Melaszka on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:43 pm

liberty boy wrote:I don't think it's a feminist issue. Duran Duran were as naff as the metal bands that boys of the equivalent age were into.

With respect, I think it partly is. It was your comment "Well, if you're a girl you liked Duran Duran" which brought gender into the argument in the first place.

But actually, I wasn't just reacting to what you said - there's a longstanding tradition in the music press, the internet generally, and this site on occasions, of assumption that all sensible, serious musical comment is made by men, that women don't know what they're talking about when it comes to music, and that nothing brings the kiss of death to a band's serious artistic intentions like being voted "Housewife's Choice".

I think this is, to a great extent true of David. One of the reasons he has so fought to shake off the "World's Most Beautiful Man" soubriquet is because being labelled a woman's artist damaged his credibility. I also understand that this site has been dismissed in some quarters as being too female-dominated to be taken seriously. This just makes me so mad.

So it wasn't all about you, it just touched on something that's been bugging me for a while.

There isn't much scope for anyone serious about their music to be diplomatic about Duran Duran

I think I perhaps asked for this by saying that most people who know about such things would consider DD more talented than Spandau Ballet or Frankie. OK, I retract that - I don't think talent can be empirically measured, it does all come down to taste.

But I think that we've all got to be very serious about music to be on this site in the first place. There are many people on this site who are passionate about music, they live and breathe it every second of their lives, and many of these people like DD. To dismiss them all as "girls" who can't possibly be "serious" or knowledgeable about music is not, IMO, at all courteous or fair.

But, yeah, my stupid comment about Spandau was as bad and probably provoked that. I'm sorry.
Last edited by Melaszka on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:59 pm

But I think that we've all got to be very serious about music to be on this site in the first place. There are many people on this site who are passionate about music, they live and breathe it every second of their lives, and many of these people like DD. To dismiss them all as "girls" who can't possibly be "serious" or knowledgeable about music is not, IMO, at all courteous or fair.

I wouldn't have said it better. The thing is that probably all of those who say that this or that band are crap haven't stopped to listen to their albums and just dismiss them for a lame hit song (or more). That touches my nerve as well, like you said.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:56 pm

Moreover as I've run into a degree of disagreement on this site. I shall leave you all be. There isn't much scope for anyone serious about their music to be diplomatic about Duran Duran.

Well, is it any wonder you're experiencing a 'degree of disagreement' when you make sweeping generalisations about people you've never even met. I don't agree with what you're saying - that's obvious, but I respect your right to say it. A degree of discussion is necessary in any society, even an on-line one like ours! However, telling people they have crap taste, simply because they are female and like a group you do not, isn't going to endear you to many people here or anywhere else for that matter.
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:59 pm

liberty boy wrote:Not at school you couldn't get away with liking Duran Duran if you were a boy. Some might have liked Planet earth but once the group were established they were made fun of in the rock press- tagging them as vain and so on.

What a load of rot. I was a boy, I liked Duran and a whole host of other groups you would probably say 'you couldn't get away with liking'

Stand up for yourself, don't go with the crowd.

I like what I like and that's up to me, I made my own choices at the time and if those choices didn't fit in with what other people liked, then, tough.
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:01 am

sonic_chronicler wrote:
liberty boy wrote:Not at school you couldn't get away with liking Duran Duran if you were a boy. Some might have liked Planet earth but once the group were established they were made fun of in the rock press- tagging them as vain and so on.

What a load of rot. I was a boy, I liked Duran and a whole host of other groups you would probably say 'you couldn't get away with liking'

Stand up for yourself, don't go with the crowd.

I like what I like and that's up to me, I made my own choices at the time and if those choices didn't fit in with what other people liked, then, tough.

Hurrah! Well said Sonic - my sentiments exactly! :D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:55 am

I've always loved Duran Duran. I know they were seen as a bit of a girls band but that was more to do with the media's perception of them. Was I ever ashamed of the fact I was a Duran fan? Never. I loved what they did, loved the way they looked and even now I still think they are still a "real" band. They get up on stage and PLAY music. They were never a boy band who didnt play any instruments and write their own material like many of the acts nowadays.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:52 am

sorry if I don't get it... but
why do all topics here on japansylvian.com end up with
a discussion about duran duran?
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:10 am

i was a japan fan during the japan years
but became even more devoted when David went solo.
I felt a stronger poetic and experimental direction taking place
and that fitted me perfect.
and when the Rain Tree Crow project was released I saw it more
as one of Davids collaborations, and a very good one indeed.
I adored the single immediately, and I loved at least five songs
on the album, so, I was satisfied. I didn't expect a Japan album.
I still love the Japan records, but I guess it's more of nostalgic reasons.
Rain Tree Crow still sounds modern, as modern as Nine Horeses in fact.
and Davids voice had turned into his "new style" already at RTC.
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Rain tree crow- who else found it disappointing at the time.

Postby ProgRocker on Mon May 18, 2009 2:02 am

I'm too young to have been around when Japan was originally, so I only got into the band a few years ago. Overall, I listen to RTC less than the other 5 studio albums, but I think it's still pure Japan; they took a different approach on this album, but it seems to work. :-)

I wouldn't have minded a followup album to Rain Tree Crow. Sadly, though, it looks like that will never happen.
ProgRocker
Noob
Noob

Postby Despair on Mon May 18, 2009 6:23 pm

why do all topics here on japansylvian.com end up with
a discussion about duran duran?

Ive wondered that myself. I mean, there must be piles of `ironing` these girls could be doing, instead of fawning over a boy band like Duran !!!! :D
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tim91 on Mon May 18, 2009 8:55 pm

"there must be piles of `ironing` these girls could be doing" That's stupid and ignorant to say. I'm a boy who enjoys Duran Duran, occasionally ironing and I love Japan.
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ProgRocker on Mon May 18, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm not a fan of Duran Duran (actually I've never heard one of their albums), but I can recognize that they're talented. It's stupid to compare them to a boy band like N'Stink or The Jonas Brothers, who don't write any of their own music and have no talent other than looks and a shiny image.
ProgRocker
Noob
Noob

Postby anortherncod on Tue May 19, 2009 4:21 am

Oh, Despair! I hate ironing!!! :wink:
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia