The saddest day - Mick Karn RIP

All things related to the late, great, lamented Mick Karn

Re: The saddest day - Mick Karn RIP

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Jakko and Gavin Harrison mentioned the funeral on their Facebooks. His musician mates paid their respects to him :(
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:19 am

I'm guessing DS wouldn't have felt welcome there after what MK said about him in his book.

Its doubly sad, going back to MK's book when he mentions cancelling his UK tour because pre sales weren't in double figures.

Where was all this love then?

if only he was more supported while alive. he needed it.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby swordofdestiny on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:31 am

sisterlondon wrote:Jakko and Gavin Harrison mentioned the funeral on their Facebooks. His musician mates paid their respects to him :(

I was pissed off to see that Tony Levin left a remark under Jakko's post that was totally asinine. Jakko wrote a deeply personal post about the funeral and how it was a Blue Monday. Levin seemed oblivious to it deciding to reply and mention some crap American football team.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nocturne on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi

My heart aches at the loss of Mick Karn. All the more so since I'd lost touch with what he was up to for a few years, absorbed as I was in my own busy life. I knew nothing of his illness or his financial problems, and it's upset me so much to hear about them. I've adored his music for many years, and have a big soft spot for him as a human being. In the past couple of weeks I've heard lots of his that's new to me, and it's been a delight, but it's really hard to have re-discovered him and lost him at the same time. I've shed many tears and miss him terribly.

I don't have a Facebook account, so I'm unable to read what Jakko and Gavin Harrison had to say about Mick's funeral. I'd be eternally grateful if someone would be kind enough to post their Facebook comments here.

Thank you. x
Nocturne
Noob
Noob

Postby natsume on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:28 pm

swordofdestiny wrote:
I was pissed off to see that Tony Levin left a remark under Jakko's post that was totally asinine.

Saw that. I hope it was a grievous error, and he missed the end of the "nightmare" post, I like Tony Levin.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:33 pm

I was taken aback by what was said on here about Tony Levins reply, so I had to see for myself.

Upon further review, Jakko's post is shortened so the last part is about his nightmare. You have to click "See more" (At least on my computer) to see the part about Mick. My guess is he just read that and didn't notice the "See more" and apparently didn't read the other comments as well. A bad mistake, but I highly doubt he read the entire thing before posting that. It doesn't sound like him.

-K

EDIT: (Just saw natsume's post after posting this, and I agree 100% with them... I just made the same mistake as well!)
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:38 pm

I am not Gavin's personal friend, so I couldn't see his post. This is Jakko's:

Today is, I'm reliably informed, Blue Monday.

The most miserable day of the year. 
The weather in south east England, as if to emphasise this. is grim, grey and wet.
 My wife woke me in the early hours from a nightmare, as my screams threatened to wake the entire household.

This afternoon at 3 p.m., at a cemetery in London, we will gather to say our final goodbyes to Mick Karn.

Blue Monday indeed

_____

-K
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sisterlondon on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Gavin doesn't add fans, but he has a fan page and at the time after the funeral he posted:

"Goodbye Mick. Rest in peace mate."

And a link to youtube for Feta Funk :(
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swordofdestiny on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:39 pm

If anyone read Mick's book he does mention that he resented "having to be Tony Levin" when he performed with Peter Gabriel at the Prince's Trust Gala. You never know, maybe Levin heard this? Petty if so. The Jakko thread replies all mentioned Mick. It just struck me as "off".

And there is the fact that Mick toured with David Torn performing Levin bass lines from "Cloud About Mercury". Something is definitely wrong here...
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:06 am

FIlmTV, an italian weekly magazine, has 4 lines on Mick's death. It's not a lot, but, after all, it's a movie magazine. His talent as a sculptor is also remembered.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:11 am

Tonight it's the Concert homage for Mick here in Valencia. I will try to be there (if work let's me).

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... code=OUA_L
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:31 am

Last night I was in the tribute concert for Mick Karn. The gig was supposed to be for raising money for him, but they arrived too late :(

It was a delight and a huge surprise seeing how well The Polaroids (the band) knew the Japan stuff. Even the bassist had nailed Mick's head movements and the singer looked very Sylvianesque as well.

The band consisted in members of bands of the early 80's from Valencia (some that I saw play back then) and the singer of the Dutch band The Essence, that came on purpose for this. An amazing night. Sure that Mick was smiling up there.

I recorded a big part of it, here's the first one, Sons of Pioneers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XAuwTaDzDM

After the gig we had lots of good music of the Japan era :) Absolutely a moving night.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swordofdestiny on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Found this entry in the message book on Mick's website.

ray singer
01/20/11 at 04:26 PM

Comments:

I was fortunate enough to have worked with Mick when I produced the first two albums with Japan. He was always having fun in the studio and helped make the sessions, that could get a bit fraught sometimes, lighten up a little. He had a touch of the Greek in his background and this came out in his playing on the fretless bass. He would bend and slide a note in a way I'd never heard before or since. We've lost a total original musician and a lovely guy.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:47 pm

I uploaded a big part of the gig in honour of Mick in here

http://www.youtube.com/user/isashax

Hope that you guys enjoy it. I thought they played the songs real well!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm somewhat surprised that Midge Ure hasn't said anything via his webpage regards the passing of Mick.
Does anyone have any information as to why?
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Mick Karn