Mick's solo work

All things related to the late, great, lamented Mick Karn

Mick's solo work

Postby kinki on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:20 pm

What's your opinion of Mick's solo stuff? I've started collecting it and like what I've heard so far. I cant get enough of those basslines. :roll:

I have 'Titles', 'Dreams of Reason...', and 'More Better Different' so far, but am expecting 'Each Eye a Path' soon, and will OF COURSE be buying all the others ASAP.

I love the Turkish sounding influences in his work, and while being not exactly easy listening, with repeated plays all the different layers come out, and the music really gets stuck in your head. One minute it's funky, then Middle Eastern, then jazzy, then ambient....very interesting stuff.

I also listened to some JBK for the first time yesterday.....and was very impressed with what I heard. I cant believe I've left it this long to start exploring their solo/collaborative work. Im SO ashamed of myself! :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:33 pm

You might also find Polytown interesting, a collaboration between Mick, David Torn and Terry Bozzio.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:36 pm

I bought some of his off itunes the other day and I like what I have heard so far!!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:56 am

heartofdavid wrote:You might also find Polytown interesting, a collaboration between Mick, David Torn and Terry Bozzio.

Indeed, thanks - it's on the list, quite high up actually, as I like what Ive heard so far of Terry Bozzio's work.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Dalis Car

Postby Smalldot on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:39 am

Dalis Car was a collaboration that Mick did with Peter Murphy in the early 80's, shortly after both Japan and Bauhaus broke up. Sadly, neither of them like the final outcome nor got a long with each other during the sessions.
A shame really because the music is fantastic. Had these two people not had big ego clashes back in the day, Dalis Car could have been bigger.

Anyway, if you haven't heard of it already, you should check it out. It's still in print through Beggars Banquet records.
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:06 am

I love Dali's Car- Such incredible basslines!!

I think if I ever attempted those basslines, I would have to be taken to the ER to have my fingers surgically untangled!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Smalldot on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:30 pm

Silver Moon wrote:I love Dali's Car- Such incredible basslines!!

I think if I ever attempted those basslines, I would have to be taken to the ER to have my fingers surgically untangled!!

-K-

Last night I was poking around youtube and came across a Dalis Car video. I had no idea they even made videos for that project.

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWTLgBkw5fI
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks! I really like that video. I think they actually made 2 videos.

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Smalldot on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:44 pm

I heard seen written in the comments that a video for "His Box" was made but I couldn't find it.
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Mick Karn