Steve Jansen's exclusive download store

Solo career, news, photography and all things related to Steve

Postby jennyTMK on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Feb 1st will see the launch of Steve's own exclusive download store in collaboration with burning shed where you can download previously unreleased and recently completed material. new additions will be uploaded periodically and will be announced here and via the burning shed newsletter and social media.

Comment from Steve:
"the immediacy of releasing material through an exclusive download store allows compositions that have reached a point of completion, or that simply remain as unfinished works, to be released without pomp or ceremony. this approach to sharing files is an extension of the way i have worked on my recordings with people around the globe. the freedom to explore and experiment with audio sustains my interest in composition without the need to become embroiled in the concerns of format, release dates and music genres. this is for me an exploration into the most simple and direct means of music distribution that supplements the desire for complete artistic freedom."

Further news to follow.
http://www.stevejansen.com/
jennyTMK
Noob
Noob

Re: Steve Jansen's exclusive download store

Postby Slope on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:24 am

Smart move by Steve, and looking forward immensely to what he has in store for us. I have to admit that I hope there are some archive releases to come, perhaps some JBK material included? Would love it if Richard did something similar.
Slope
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Exit North is the first track released. And this is some info about it:
A fourteen and a half minute instrumental combining electro-atmospherics, plaintive piano and Jansen's inimitable percussive/rhythmic touch, the piece climaxes with a beautifully uplifting, repeating Mimimalist sequence.
Exit North, available as an mp3 and a flac download, marks Steve's first official solo release since his celebrated Slope album in 2007.
Originally composed to accompany a visual performance entitled 'North' in 2010, the track remained unfinished and was subsequently completed in January 2013.
Please note that the opening minutes contain intentional digital distortion.
Steve Jansen's 'Exclusives' Mission Statement:
"The immediacy of releasing individual pieces through an exclusive music download store allows compositions that have reached a point of completion, (or that simply remain as unfinished works), to become available without pomp or ceremony.
This approach to sharing files is an extension of the way I have worked on my recordings with people around the globe.
The freedom to explore and experiment with audio sustains my interest in composition without the need to become embroiled in the concerns of format, release dates and music genres.
This is for me an exploration into the most simple and direct means of music distribution that supplements the desire for complete artistic freedom."
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby pinenut on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Has anyone downloaded it? I did but the first one was blank, a coding error on the file sent to burning shed or so I was told. Finally downloaded it today and it works! On first listen it reminds me of the swimming in qualia and the bonus tracks on slope live such as resistentialism.It does become slightly more melodic towards the last 4 minutes though which give the track a little more charm.I like it but then I loved slope and i do love electronica. I think the idea of posting finished tracks onto the website without the need for a formal album is a great idea. I would rather hear Steves work as it's produced rather than when it's finally ready to be compiled as an album.He is not really an "album" artist by normal standards so it's great to hear his work as stand alone tracks.I look forward to more tracks and maybe even the odd one with a guest vocalist in a similar vein to Slope.
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:21 pm

I downloaded it without any problems.
I too love the idea of the download store, and, as Steve wrote about putting "unfinished works" on it, I'm looking forward to hearing some of those.
This first track, for me, is very good. The first part sounds intriguingly ghosty, while the second is indeed more charming. I predict this will be the soundtrack to many pleasant late night reading sessions. :D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Jenny, thanks so very much for sharing this information. This store is an excellent idea, and this first track is a fine start.

pinenut wrote: On first listen it reminds me of the swimming in qualia and the bonus tracks on slope live such as resistentialism.

Ah, 'Swimming In Qualia' ... Alas, that was one of the true gems I lost when the pc crashed a few years ago. I should have burned it to disc. It really fit in so well with certain tracks on Slope.
I haven't heard Resistentialism yet. Is it available to download? I'd probably better get myself back over to the SamadhiSound download section one of these days.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby pinenut on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:26 pm

Resistentialism was a bonus track along with "noema" and "lingering" on the Occurrence of Slope live DVD performance.
They come with accompanying visuals. It's currently out of stock in the Samadhi shop.
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Postby angel-a on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:32 pm

They are available on itunes. The information on the video slips was posted at Steve's site on 31/03/11 and you can see it in the news archives.

http://www.stevejansen.com/news/steve_j ... tunes.html
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby angel-a on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:43 pm

pinenut wrote:Has anyone downloaded it? I did but the first one was blank, a coding error on the file sent to burning shed or so I was told. Finally downloaded it today and it works! On first listen it reminds me of the swimming in qualia and the bonus tracks on slope live such as resistentialism.It does become slightly more melodic towards the last 4 minutes though which give the track a little more charm.I like it but then I loved slope and i do love electronica. I think the idea of posting finished tracks onto the website without the need for a formal album is a great idea. I would rather hear Steves work as it's produced rather than when it's finally ready to be compiled as an album.He is not really an "album" artist by normal standards so it's great to hear his work as stand alone tracks.I look forward to more tracks and maybe even the odd one with a guest vocalist in a similar vein to Slope.

'exit north' was first recorded for the extra video clip by Shoko to be shown at Harajuku Performance 2010 in Tokyo together with the previous works by Steve and Shoko, at which Steve was supposed to play the soundtrack live. In the end he could not fly to Tokyo due to the big snowfall in London and flight cancellations. So the pre-recorded version was shown instead. At that time, the title was simply 'north'. Unfortunately the work has not been released like the others. So still it's great that it's come out with a new title as a single music piece. This collaborated work by Steve and Shoko was beautiful, so I hope it will be shown together somewhere sometime...
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Steve Jansen