Norwegian interview - a visionary amateur

David's solo career interviews

Norwegian interview - a visionary amateur

Postby Blemished on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:48 am

I thought I'd give good old Google Translate a crack at David's interview with Norway's AftenPosten. A bit off the mark in places, but I think it gets the gist.

Interesting that he is saying again that he is going back to more formal (musical) structures in the near future. I'm sure that ballads album will be out to shock us before too long! I do worry about him living in the woods all alone though...never thought he'd end up as Lewisham's very own Grizzly Adams...

A visionary amateur

He was the frontman of pop band Japan. Today is David Sylvian a powerhouse in the border music. In September, 53-year old to Point Festival in Kristiansand.
AVARILD R. ANDERSEN

It is mildly, an event that David Sylvian is the main artist at Point Festival this fall. He belongs to the very few mature stars of popular culture which has both redefined and revitalized her artistic life. He does so in the classroom with such diverse artists as Robert Plant and Scott Walker, but differs from them both.
Many believe that David Sylvian is behind one of the last few years the best and most important albums: Blemish (2003). There, he sings powerfully and dark to free improvisations by Derek Bailey and electronic sounding from Christian Fennesz. The ideas are unique. The grip is both contrasting and unusually successful.
-Why did you say yes to perform at the Point Festival?
- Jan and Erik has kindly invited me several years in a row, but it is only this year that it has the pass. I like that the two have done, and now I wanted to contribute to mine.
Collaboration
The Norwegian musicians and producers Jan Bang and Erik Honoré has collaborated with David Sylvian, and the two behind the annual festival of experimental music and innovative musicians in Kristiansand.
- What expectations do you have to stay in town?
- I arrive with no expectations. That I do not know exactly what I go to, is what stimulates me.
- What do you know about the Norwegian music scene?
- I have some contact with parts of it through my partners and I have a general knowledge of key musicians from past and present.
- What are your experiences with Jan Bang and Erik Honoré as partners?
- Rause, friendly, sensitive and absolutely committed. They seem to understand my aesthetic and I have something of theirs.
- In which direction will your interests as a musician these days?
- I am open to many different opportunities, but will in the near future to go back to more formal structures. Working with several directions at once is what I intend to do.
Blemish and Bailey
Already in the 1990s did David Sylvian some approaches to the classic British free jazz and improvised music. He collaborated with pianist Keith tippet. However, it was the late guitarist and style creator Derek Bailey would become Sylvians challenge and seduce in this field.
- How did you get up with Derek Bailey on Blemish project? He had not the habit of playing with vocalists!
- It was not difficult. After a fifteen minute phone call he was on board. I told him I wanted to be challenged as a vocalist. Then he replied: - I can arrange for you.
Sylvian began to listen to Derek Bailey's music in the 80s, and in the final period leading up to the Blemish Baileys improvisations were the only thing he could listen to.
- On the way, it created a bond in my performances, between his music and the project I would start. I realized later that he had to be with. So I called. It would be nice to be working with Derek again in a new context, but it did not.
In 2004 came the album The Only Daughter - The Blemish Remixes, where Erik Honoré and Jan Bang stands for one of the songs.
- Why did you choose to remix such a perfect album?
- Because the songs could be interpreted again. I also used remixes to test potential partners for the future.
Alone in the woods
David Sylvian says he does not feel attached to any particular tradition, but he has great respect for other traditions. He follows the instincts, is stubborn, idealistic and uncompromising. The aesthetic has guided Sylvian decades, developed and refined over time.
- What do you do to keep your music alive?
- I allow myself to be quiet and forget the past I did. I am an eternal amateur and have no idea how I can get on before I start something new.
Since 2005, he settled himself alone in a forest in New England. He stated that since he had difficulties to adjust to having to play in front of an audience again.
- How is the situation today?
- It is quite similar. I've turned to the insulation. It becomes increasingly difficult to break with it.
It is nevertheless certain that David Sylvian is going to Point Festival. Interest personally I missing a better reason to look forward to the first autumn month of 2011.
David Sylvian calls himself a perpetual amateur
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Norwegian interview - a visionary amateur

Postby Six One Cynic on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:19 am

David Sylvian living alone in the gigantic coniferous of New England is quite strange, not surprising or anything new, but a bit unsettling to say the least...what is he doing all day? I'm sure he has internet, but is he still going out to meet girls at all? Does he spend almost everyday alone with his thoughts?
Six One Cynic
Regular
Regular

Re: Norwegian interview - a visionary amateur

Postby Simonp on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:58 am

Six One Cynic wrote:David Sylvian living alone in the gigantic coniferous of New England is quite strange, not surprising or anything new, but a bit unsettling to say the least...what is he doing all day? I'm sure he has internet, but is he still going out to meet girls at all? Does he spend almost everyday alone with his thoughts?

Is he still going out to meet girls at all? He's 52, not 18 lol
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Interviews