Postby Nath on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:48 am

I think these pictures are really great!!! :D

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Sylvian - Let's start with the word

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:27 pm

DS wrote:How important a role did your presence at the Erstlive event in Köln of 2004 play in your decision as to whom to work with on Manafon.
[...]As far as the musicians that constituted the London sessions; it was incorrectly reported in the Wire feature that I’d worked with the line up of Evan Parker’s electro-acoustic ensemble which would’ve been as pointless to my needs as it was financially restrictive should it have been strategically possible.

In a review in The Wire some years back for Sakamoto’s work with Alva Noto, Rob Young suggested, somewhat pejoratively, that both you and Sakamoto had sought out younger musicians working in the field of ‘electronics’ to revitalize your own works. In your case the reference was to your work with Fennesz. Do you feel that this was/is fair comment?
At root it’s an ill informed perspective that’s likely to be of complete irrelevance to the participating musicians or even the listening audience.
I couldn’t swear to it but I believe that in both the above mentioned cases it was the younger musicians who contacted Ryuichi and I. And by ‘younger’ we’re speaking of an age difference between Christian and I which is narrower than that between Ryuichi and myself so, really, how relevant a point can this be making? A collaboration should, ideally, be mutually beneficial otherwise there’d be no currency in the relationship. Mercifully, musicians do reach out to one another. There shouldn’t be stigma attached to the idea. When I first started putting calls into musicians back in the early 80’s I was told by some of these amazing players that they rarely, if ever, received requests, out of the blue, from musicians they’d previously not met or had some sort of family tree connection with. They were grateful, as was I, that our somewhat hermetically sealed worlds were broken into, that the scope of the horizon was stretched a little wider. With the collapse of the music industry and the intervention of the internet, that global networking is now second nature to most musicians. It wasn’t always the case.

It seems that in terms of the public that might be attracted to a work of this kind you’re going to come up against obstacles from both sides of the fence. This must’ve been obviously to you from the start, no?
When you say ‘both sides of the fence’ I imagine you’re talking about my presumed audience and the audience that my collaborators enjoy? Yes, of course, the work potentially alienates both. It takes an open mind to get close to the material. If you come with certain expectations firmly in place you’re not going to find access all that easy.

Is this Big Bad Sylv's revenge on The Wire's negative review? :twisted:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:03 am

nice, thanks for this.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby proggrl on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:35 am

DS wrote:If you come with certain expectations firmly in place you’re not going to find access all that easy.

This may be the truest and coolest thing he has ever said!!! And he's said some true and cool things in the past! LOVE IT!!!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:46 am

jon abbey wrote:nice, thanks for this.

Another mention for you and your label in that interview, Jon. Have you and Sylvian been in contact with each other recently?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:57 am

baht habit wrote:

Another mention for you and your label in that interview, Jon. Have you and Sylvian been in contact with each other recently?

yep, we exchanged some e-mails, and he sent me a copy of Manafon.

I didn't fully realize before reading those last two interviews there how directly inspirational Wrapped Islands (the Polwechsel/Fennesz collab I put together in 2002) was on Manafon, but it totally makes sense thinking about it.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby digimarsh on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:32 am

It was interesting to read at the end ,what David had to say about the samadhi label and the difficulties it continues to face,
i sincerly hope that it stays around for many years , not just for DS' work but i enjoy some of the other artists assigned to the label. I feel there is a genuine ethos within the organisation and a desire to inovate and explore.It must be difficult though in the current financial climate to keep afloat, i remember around the time of the mercury nomination for SBP hearing that 'Twice Born Men' had only sold around 1000 copies, so its easy to emperthise with DS on this.
Its however nice to hear that next year they will be releasing quite a lot of stuff and i for one will be looking to support them wholeheartly, more Thomas Feiner i hope.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:56 am

jon abbey wrote:
baht habit wrote:

yep, we exchanged some e-mails, and he sent me a copy of Manafon.

I didn't fully realize before reading those last two interviews there how directly inspirational Wrapped Islands (the Polwechsel/Fennesz collab I put together in 2002) was on Manafon, but it totally makes sense thinking about it.

He sent you a copy? How about a copy of Amplified Gesture, did he send one as well?
Not to be a nag, but did you ever happen to inquire into any possible future release of Sylvian's collaboration with Prevost and Butcher?
Thanks
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:03 pm

digimarsh wrote: i remember around the time of the mercury nomination for SBP hearing that 'Twice Born Men' had only sold around 1000 copies, .

i find that incredible and almost criminal that such a wonderful band arent getting the exposure they deserve. It also makes me wonder how Samadhi can survive if that's all their artists are selling. This wouldnt have even covered productions costs Im sure
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:28 am

baht habit wrote:He sent you a copy? How about a copy of Amplified Gesture, did he send one as well?

he said he would when he had more copies, but it hasn't shown up yet. I'd like to see it, but haven't yet.

Not to be a nag, but did you ever happen to inquire into any possible future release of Sylvian's collaboration with Prevost and Butcher?
Thanks

nope, sorry.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ScottR on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:30 am

Manafon doesn't sound wildly experimental to my ears. Nor do I personally hear it as being a difficult album but I've always known the experience would be different for others. Time will soften its edges. It may sow the seeds for what might develop into a new genre for vocal music perhaps?

This is the real question isnt it?

To me Manafon is his great folly. He is wasting his time and everyone else's time for that matter. Manafon should have been an ep at best. Something small and contained...easily dismissed as a one off experiment.

He is quite defense in this interview, and rightfully so. The record is obviously not selling well, hence the need for a second pressing of the "collectors" edition. Maybe this will get him back on track? :) Maybe get him to pull his head from the clouds?

My prediction... his next record will be very commercial in nature. Along the lines of Damage. He needs to make up for the lost income and waste that Manafon is.

Crossroads baby...
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Welcome Scott....you seem bitter. :twisted:

Thanks so much for making that important decision that my time has been wasted with the many hours I have spent listening to, and greatly enjoying, the contents of Manafon. Thanks for doing the thinking for all of us.

Did you ever take a moment before writing and think that the reason for the second pressing of a 'limited edition' is that they sold out of the first pressing and the demand is dictating that more copies for wanting fans might be the wise way to go?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:33 am

:D
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:51 am

If ScottR is interested I have a cd of myself playing one note on a kettle drum.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Interviews