Just a Photography Tip Concert Photos

Please check here for any updates on the site. Post your own bulletins also.

Just a Photography Tip Concert Photos

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 am

Hey just thought I'd share some of my photography knowledge with those of you off to see the shows.

When taking concert photos first rule of thumb is NO FLASH. Unless you're actually on the stage with the artist you don't want to use your flash. Stage lighting is strong enough to illuminate the artist. Flashes have a normal range of 15 to 20ft. So even from the front row all you're truly illuminating is the back of any equipment set up at the front of the stage. If you are farther back all you illuminate are the backs of peoples heads and the stage ends up appearing very dark. Oh and if you are close and the flash does hit the artist in the face most likely you are going to end up with him/her having the "red eye" effect happen.

A slightly faster speed of ASA/ISO could be necessary, but I have found shooting with 200 to be very effective when in the front 5 rows. If you are zooming in a great deal you may want to up that to 400. If you are unable to change the setting on your camera not to worry. The camera is then selecting the best quality for the lighting.

If you have automatic flash ... shut it off. If you can't put black electrical or black duct or gaffers tape over it. Shoot a couple shots and see how they look (digitally speaking of course).

If you have a set distance camera (it won't zoom) and you aren't in the first few rows I wouldn't bother taking photos. Whatever is on stage is going to be tiny and if you crop you will end up with degredation of image quality to the point where it could look really bad.

These are all very basic tips and everyone has their own way of shooting low light situations. These are the rules I stick by and have had great luck with concert pics.

Good Luck and hope everyone has a fantastic time at the shows!!!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bridget on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:02 am

Dear Gods,

Thanks a lot for that!!!
I thought I had switched off my flash but...it was still on... :oops:

When he took that little megaphone, I thought he was gonna say:
Hey, you! Switch off that flash or I'm gonna throw you out! :lol:
Bridget
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:59 am

Bridget wrote:Dear Gods,

Thanks a lot for that!!!
I thought I had switched off my flash but...it was still on... :oops:

When he took that little megaphone, I thought he was gonna say:
Hey, you! Switch off that flash or I'm gonna throw you out! :lol:

HA HA HA.... glad he didn't :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:50 am

Not only is flash useless in these circumstances, it's also distracting for all concerned.
Plus it's part of David's rules, when you are given a pass to photograph his shows, you may only shoot during the first three songs with no flash.
Even without using a flash, there's the issues of IR beams...David commented that he's well aware of people taking pictures and recording videos because he sees all the little red lights in the audience!

On this same subject, I am slated to photograph David in Italy, so all being well, I should have some images coming forth in the early part of October.

Chris
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:46 pm

thanks chris... that will be so appreciated.
I would think up on stage those little red lights would be very distracting. that is why i shoot with a film camera... no lights at all :-). I'm talking a real film camera not the newer auto/manual ones.

I am soooo looking forward to your photos and you sharing them with us. Thank you so much :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:16 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:thanks chris... that will be so appreciated.
I would think up on stage those little red lights would be very distracting. that is why i shoot with a film camera... no lights at all :-). I'm talking a real film camera not the newer auto/manual ones.

I am soooo looking forward to your photos and you sharing them with us. Thank you so much :-)

Ahh an old school shooter like myself!
I have been wrestling with myself on this one, but I think I'm still going to shoot film...Digital still doesn't have the same tonal scale and texture as film.
A lot of people are shocked when they see my equipment, but I still love my oldies...My favourite is still my 1955 Rollei TLR, it turns out images that digital could never equal!
Anyhoo, I digress!

I'll do my best with the images, everyone loved the ones I did in Chicago, the photo of Keith Lowe on David's (& Keith's ) website was taken during that shoot and happens to be Keith's favourite photo of himself!

All the best,
Chris
x
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Hey Chris!

I'm highly looking forward to your photos. I love the ones you've taken so far!!

And Gods... Thanks for the tips!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:44 am

MoodyB wrote:

I have been wrestling with myself on this one, but I think I'm still going to shoot film...Digital still doesn't have the same tonal scale and texture as film.
A lot of people are shocked when they see my equipment, but I still love my oldies...My favourite is still my 1955 Rollei TLR, it turns out images that digital could never equal!
Anyhoo, I digress!

I'll do my best with the images, everyone loved the ones I did in Chicago, the photo of Keith Lowe on David's (& Keith's ) website was taken during that shoot and happens to be Keith's favourite photo of himself!

All the best,
Chris
x

Oh yes I'm an old schooler for sure. I agree 100% with you about film vs. digital. The tonal scale and colour quality is still not there. I notice it especially in reds and skin tones. Two very important colours for me to get right in my line of work. Many of my favourite films however have been discontinued. Like Agfa 100 speed black and white ... god just THE best black and white for studio work.
My favourite camera to use is my Pentax 6x7. However recently I've been having an affair with an old Speedgraphic 4x5. Not exactly the best for concerts though LOL. When I shoot shows I always use my Nikon F3 28-85lens and 100 speed film. David would be proud of me LOL (kidding).

Anyway... if you ever wanna talk photography drop me a line. It is what I do after all :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:26 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Hey Chris!

I'm highly looking forward to your photos. I love the ones you've taken so far!!

And Gods... Thanks for the tips!

-K-

Thanks! That's really sweet of you!

*blushes*

MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:34 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:
MoodyB wrote:

Anyhoo, I digress!

All the best,
Chris
x

Oh yes I'm an old schooler for sure. I agree 100% with you about film vs. digital. The tonal scale and colour quality is still not there. I notice it especially in reds and skin tones. Two very important colours for me to get right in my line of work. Many of my favourite films however have been discontinued. Like Agfa 100 speed black and white ... god just THE best black and white for studio work.
My favourite camera to use is my Pentax 6x7. However recently I've been having an affair with an old Speedgraphic 4x5. Not exactly the best for concerts though LOL. When I shoot shows I always use my Nikon F3 28-85lens and 100 speed film. David would be proud of me LOL (kidding).

Anyway... if you ever wanna talk photography drop me a line. It is what I do after all :-)

Ahhh...Now we could have a very long conversation!
A kindred spirit methinks!
There's lot's of discontinued films and chemistry that I miss dearly...*Sniff*
Don't even get me started about cameras!
LMAO!
I will say that I approve of your choices!

I'm probably going to be shooting this time (as I did with the 2002 shots) with high speed film though (1600 pushed 1 stop), I just love the atmosphere and feeling that the grain achieves...

MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:07 am

BTW,
I just received confirmation from Richard Chadwick on my pass for the Conegliano show! Woot!
Only thing is, David is only allowing photography during the first two songs.
On the bright side, I will be able to sit back and enjoy the rest of the concert,
but I will have to shoot like the dickens during those two songs!

Chris
x

MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:15 am

MoodyB wrote:BTW,
I just received confirmation from Richard Chadwick on my pass for the Conegliano show! Woot!
Only thing is, David is only allowing photography during the first two songs.
On the bright side, I will be able to sit back and enjoy the rest of the concert,
but I will have to shoot like the dickens during those two songs!

Chris
x

HA HA... yes you really will!!!! Enjoy it all.... if david sees you changing film he may well be impressed you are still old school. Digital is just a convenience and nothing more.
P.S. - like your choice of pushing the film ;-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:59 am

Congrats Moody B!!!! :D

I will try to get something decent on my shows, but I am quite on the side in both. My camera isn't anything espectacular either, but I have been lucky with some shots sometimes, so hope I have some luck this time too :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:46 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips Gods!! I must confess that, although I love photography, I'm a TERRIBLE photographer!!! LOL I've never found the time to learn properly - that's why I use a digital camera...I totally agree with you - digital can never be the same as film!!!
An amount of pixels will never be the same that a light impression!!

Waiting to see your pics, Chris!!
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:54 pm

Great tips, Gods! Not that I'll be taking any photos in the dark...any time soon but still, you never know.

Chris, I cannot wait to see your photos! I want to be your lens!!!!!!!!!!
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to *Bulletin Board*