Fresh spinach, anyone?

Please check here for any updates on the site. Post your own bulletins also.

Fresh spinach, anyone?

Postby krausy on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:35 pm

just don't forget the barf bag!!!!!!!

Seriously though, please take note that there has been a nationwide advisory on eating the fresh oncooked spinach in the bag----has caused some cases of E. Coli bacteria sickness in several states. FDA is still investigating this to determine cause, origin, etc. So please be careful.....

..........and in the meantime, the substitute food will be chocolate :lol:
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Fresh spinach, anyone?

Postby marcello09 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:28 pm

Had me a Grilled Shrimp'n'Spinach Salad at Applebee's last night... it was REALLY GOOD!!! And I didn't hurl!!!

But yes, best to be cautious... thanks for the warning, Krausy!
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:38 am

Ok.... To do list:

1. Don't eat anymore spinach.

Ok, that should be easy...

Anyway, I am a bit worried because in the counties that are north, west and south of ours, the shools have been getting an outbreak of the dreaded "Staph infection" everyone has been talking about. ...Apperantly, it is very easy to get. It someone who has it on the skin touches a desk and you touch that desk, you can get it bady on the skin. If it touches an open sore on the body, it can enter the blood stream and then you are really srewed. In severe cases, some people have had to have body parts amputated, so I am really hoping it doesn't spread to my school... I just think teenagers need to do more of something they almost NEVER do... WASH THOSE HANDS!!

Ok, new to do list:

1. Don't eat spinach
2. Buy a giant bottle of germ-x

Also, if you live around San Fransico, San Antonio, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Washington DC, and Boston... Watch out for that Staph Infection!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby lastgoldstar on Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:10 pm

Drats! I love spinach. I just hope they don't take away my broccoli, or there'll be trouble.

We had a staph infection scare a few years back. All the sports groups had lectures on it. I was in marching band then (it should be considered a sport, too, dammit), and we had the same lecture. I was thoroughly disgusted by the whole thing, and ever since, I am OCD about washing my hands. I get upset when I go out and forget to bring my antibacterial gel with me, ha ha.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:10 pm

Hey, do you know that in my state, on the "to buy" list for back to school, they have antibacterial gel as a requirement? Great idea, though......
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:18 pm

That is a good idea, Krausy... Cause kids never wash their freakin' hands!! I think high school kids don't do it more then the little kids!!

I think I will be bringing a small bottle of germ-x with me when I go to school now!! Maybe I'll do the rest of the kids a favor and rub some on the doorknobs, desks, and all the other gross places...

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby krausy on Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:31 pm

Kera, go to your nearest Bath and Body works store and get the antibacterial hand gel they sell. The bottles are purse/backpack size and less than $5 (sometimes you can get two for one)and they have all kinds of delicious smelling scents. I keep some in my car and use them after shopping etc especially after touching shopping carts, doors, etc.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:46 pm

Can do! There is one right down the road...

Thanks for the suggestion!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Crickett on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:11 pm

Note to Self:

WASH ALL FRUITS, VEGETABLES AND LEAFY GREENS BEFORE EATING!

it's amazing how "washing" those things eliminates so many possible illnesses, the "process" that those lovely edibles go through from the ground to our mouths is alarming at times....
Crickett
Regular
Regular

Postby krausy on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:49 pm

You are soooo right, Crickett. My Mum has told me this for years and put me in the habit of doing just that.

The bagged items even have on the label to wash them----some people take for granted that BECAUSE it is bagged, it is clean. I don't.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:23 pm

We had a staph outbreak in New Orleans a couple of years ago. It was making the rounds of everybody for a good while. A few people at work got it and I was mortified--I became totally obsessive about washing my hands and washing the kitchen table before I sat down to eat.

I don't eat spinach unless it's in spinach & artichoke dip, and I haven't had that for a while so I'm good. Thanks for the PSA. :D
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby lastgoldstar on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:11 pm

Hmm... from what I heard, even washing won't get rid of the e Coli.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:47 am

A student in my class was out for a week with a staph infection... she is an EMS worker so is exposed to lots of germs.

I always wash all my fruits and veggies... and I do love me my veggies. I'm sad about the spinach... I hope this doesn't hurt the growers too badly.

Kera totally get yourself some antibacterial gel.... i carry purse size ones with me and have one at my desk. I think the students are gross and are always giving me some illness or other. So i use it alot all day long in the hopes that i can at least keep a bug at bay.
Would you believe they actually have to hang signs in the bathrooms telling people to wash their hands???? I mean how gross is it not to wash your hands after using the loo?!?!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:00 am

You would be surprised at exactly who does NOT wash their hands. I was at one of the local churches one time and the Principal of their christian school came into the bathroom, used it, then promptly walked out without washing, and she is one of these women with no hair out of place and dressed to the hilt all the time..... I could not believe how gross!!! Everytime I see her now that is all I think about ----it is like an episode of Seinfeld---lol!!

I carry my hand gel in the car so I can use it after shopping, etc especially after touching shopping carts and such--my hands just always feel grimy after that.

And at work----yuck!!! We work in such small offices and everyone comes in there and the germs abound!!!!! We are constantly being exposed to everyone's germs, their children's germs, so on and so forth. My office may as welll be a life size petri dish to cultivate every seasonal germ. No wonder I leave the door open all the time, even in winter and keep a can of Lysol in the drawer.................. :?
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:30 am

oh i know i am constantly cleaning my phone at work with rubbing alcohol, as well as the keyboard and mouse. It is sooooo disgusting. I was i the bathroom at school and a girl walked out without washing her hands.... since then i always open the door as i leave with a paper towel covered hand. Its just so gross.... I'm supposed to be putting my eye drops for my infection in at work and i am just so completely grossed out i haven't been doing it. I think I'd have to bathe in a vat of antibacterial gel!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to *Bulletin Board*