Holger Czukay passes...

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Holger Czukay passes...

Postby natsume on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 pm

http://thequietus.com/articles/23148-rip-holger-czukay

From David on FB: "Phenomenally innovative, irrepressibly funny, complex, man. A dearly loved friend for many years. Utterly unique. Irreplaceable"
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Holger Czukay passes...

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Always enjoyed his presence on records and interviews. R.I.P.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Kev in P.B. on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:39 am

Reading that kind of crushed me a bit. I was not a dedicated fan of all of his work, but Premonition is my "numero uno/all time favorite" piece of music, and I have always hoped that he would be able to re-release his updated version of their collaborations. When GtoE was released I was hooked on D.S's work and bought P&P when it was released as a kind of "act of blind faith." It simply changed my consciousness and the way I heard and thought about the world, and hearing Premonition brought me through some of the darkest periods of my life (brother's murder, a divorce, being struck by a bus in SE Asia) and reminded me that though the world is a dark and often cruel place, there was still beauty to be found. HC's shortwave radio/dictaphone enabled me to appreciate the announcements and calls to prayer I heard in other countries during my travels and not just think of them as simple sounds I didn't quite understand. His death is a reminder that art/beauty eventually dies and you have to appreciate it when you are in it's presence and remember it with gratitude that you had the opportunity to discover and know it in this world.
Kev in P.B.
Noob
Noob

Postby Blemished on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful post, Kev.

I too was really sorry to hear of Holger's passing. Can are one of my favourite groups and it's sad to see them gradually taking their final leave. Holger's work with David was inspired - there's still something magical about the energy around Brilliant Trees and HC was clearly a huge part of that, dictaphone and all. And Plight and Premonition was an album that I remember living with intensely when it came out. I wasn't quite as taken with Flux & Mutability but took a lot from that too. Was a shame they didn't do anything more together.

I was lucky enough to see Holger play at his gig at the Roundhouse in London a few years ago. That had a great atmosphere of celebration of his work - Cool in the Pool is such a joyous piece of music, and I recall him playing an unreleased tribute to Stockhausen which was deeply, deeply moving.

Rest in peace, Holger.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby chlorine on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:17 am

My introduction to David Sylvian's music, and then Hoger Czukay's music, was very much like Kev in P.B.: Gone to Earth followed by Plight and Premonition. The first time I played Plight and Premonition I left the room right after placing the needle on the grooves expecting to hear the some form of standard instrumentation emanating through the house. Instead there were strange new sounds that complemented the other sounds of the house and neighborhood that morning. The experience was wondrous, and I, like Kev in P.B. returned often to Plight and Premonition for solace and comfort, and also pleasure. Two theses and many other manuscripts were written under its charms. As soon as I heard that Sylvian was to perform Plight and Premonition in Norway, I immediately bought a ticket to attend Punk 2011. How fortunate we were to hear it live.
I have often wondered if others have also made Sylvian's music the soundtrack to their lives. Kev in P.B. post suggests that this is the case. One the things that draws me most to his music are the wonderful surprises with each new album. Sylvian's unerring sense of melody and courageous use of different Sonics remain the constants between the various albums. Holger Czukay lent his remarkable talents to some of favorite albums by Sylvian and his collaborators. His own music was also exceptional. Rest in peace Holger. I wish his family well.
chlorine
Noob
Noob

Return to Collaborations