Where can Sylvian go from here?

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: interview Christian Fennesz new CD Sylvian

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:21 pm

Waves wrote:On 01-12-2007 Christan Fennesz was interviewed on the '"I am recording again for David Sylvian in London. His new album will be really incredible. It is a real masterpiece.
Sylvian wants to get rid of his straight-forward image of singer-songwriter for good. He was not so happy with his last tour. His new work is much better. He is working with radical, experimental jazz musicians like Evan Parker, Burkhard Stangl and Keith Rowe ((must be 'Lowe' of course)).
It really will be a very good CD."

Can't wait to hear any of it...

Sounds very interesting - I like hearing that he's taking a step in a new direction. Thanks for the information.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:12 am

>>>>Sylvian wants to get rid of his straight-forward image of singer-songwriter for good. He was not so happy with his last tour. His new work is much better. He is working with radical, experimental jazz musicians like Evan Parker, Burkhard Stangl and Keith Rowe ((must be 'Lowe' of course)). <<<<

Actually, Keith Rowe is an avant-garde jazz guitarist who has been active since the early sixties. Recently he has worked with a few names that you may recognize--- Christian Fennesz and Otomo Yoshihide, as well as Martin Brandlmayr, Sachiko Matsubara, and Toshimaru Nakamura (these three had contributed to Sylvian's track Sleepwalkers).
Guitarist Burkhard Stangl is a former member of Polwechsel, a group from Vienna who Fennesz had collaborated with and later introduced to Sylvian. Brandlmayr is a member of the group as well. The group's bassist, Werner Daffeldecker, has also contributed to Sylvian's forthcoming solo project.
Evan Parker is a saxophonist who once performed in various combos with Derek Bailey as well as legendary jazz pianist Cecil Taylor.

From the personnel that we know of so far, I suspect that this next solo album will be an extreme challenge.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 am

CAN'T WAIT!!!
roll on 2011... :-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Waves on Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:47 am

baht habit, thanks for correcting and all the info.
Waves
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:31 am

lol i'm sure we'll hear more before 2011.... that is an awfully long wait.
I look forward to hearing his new work too. Sounds like an interesting combination of people to work with.... Always good to expand ones boundaries.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Smalldot on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:09 pm

Wow, this is completely fantabulous news. Looking forward to hearing his new direction.
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Stoobie on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:15 am

Does sound interesting ~ almost like the Brilliant Trees Album when he pulled in Jazz musicians ! and that was a classic album !

Cool, cant wait !

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:23 am

Stoobie wrote:Does sound interesting ~ almost like the Brilliant Trees Album when he pulled in Jazz musicians ! and that was a classic album !

Cool, cant wait !

Stoobie

Exactly what I was thinking!
He's kinda going back to his roots...maybe one day we'll get to hear him singing 'Adolescent Sex' again! ;-)
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:00 pm

Back to his roots? C'mon guys, what part of the following statement can't you comprehend...
>>>Sylvian wants to get rid of his straight-forward image of singer-songwriter for good.<<<
:)
The recent Sylvian track "Sleepwalkers" is a strong indicator of what to expect in regards to his forthcoming solo cd.
Check this site to hear the recent work of Polwechsel, a band which includes the aforementioned Burkhard Stangl, Werner Daffeldecker and Martin Brandlmayr:
http://www.polwechsel.com/inde.htm
And check this site to hear samples of work by Keith Rowe, Evan Parker, John Butcher (also a member of Polwechsel), and the late Derek Bailey whom you all know of well from blemish:
http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/

This type of musical freedom seems to be the course Sylvian wishes to explore. Hence that is why he described The World Is Everything tour to be in some way closing the door on past work.
I myself would indeed prefer a continuation of Nine Horses since I do not feel the potential there has been fully reached, and enjoy the 'song-based' formula slightly more than the improvisational. Yet in the time that Sylvian has been collaborating with his partners Friedman and Jansen (who have both written the majority of the music), he has spent equal time working with the influence of these experimental improvisational musicians in an effort to compose his next disc.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:28 pm

baht habit wrote:Back to his roots? C'mon guys, what part of the following statement can't you comprehend...
>>>Sylvian wants to get rid of his straight-forward image of singer-songwriter for good.<<<
:)
The recent Sylvian track "Sleepwalkers" is a strong indicator of what to expect in regards to his forthcoming solo cd.
Check this site to hear the recent work of Polwechsel, a band which includes the aforementioned Burkhard Stangl, Werner Daffeldecker and Martin Brandlmayr:
http://www.polwechsel.com/inde.htm
And check this site to hear samples of work by Keith Rowe, Evan Parker, John Butcher (also a member of Polwechsel), and the late Derek Bailey whom you all know of well from blemish:
http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/

This type of musical freedom seems to be the course Sylvian wishes to explore. Hence that is why he described The World Is Everything tour to be in some way closing the door on past work.
I myself would indeed prefer a continuation of Nine Horses since I do not feel the potential there has been fully reached, and enjoy the 'song-based' formula slightly more than the improvisational. Yet in the time that Sylvian has been collaborating with his partners Friedman and Jansen (who have both written the majority of the music), he has spent equal time working with the influence of these experimental improvisational musicians in an effort to compose his next disc.

Alright, i've listened to that 'Polwechsel' band (thanks for the link btw), and I can't find any jazz in this. In fact, now i've got the impression that his final product gonna be an album with just a long silence on it. Or maybe he'll do us a favour and he'll play some wind sound in the background.
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:07 am

and what would be the problem with that? I love to follow where he goes personally. When the track Camphor reached my ears I wondered what that kind of music would sound like with vocals; a few years later Blemish was released... Now we have 'Naoshima' to listen to as instrumental - what would THAT sound like with vocals...!?!
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:35 am

anyone besides me find david to get bored quickly? He moves from project to project... sound to sound... only sometimes fully developing the sound to where it could go.
I'm not crazy over the improvisational work... but i can understand getting bored with doing something the same way all the time too.

Well I look forward to anything he does as long as he is vocalizing and writing ....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby untitled on Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:26 pm

Wow…so excited by this line up :smt026

Anyone who is not keen on Blemish, better brace themselves!

Fennesz – say no more IMHO
Burkhard Stangl, ex-Polwechsel
Keith Rowe (Yes, Rowe not Lowe) – free improv guitarist
Evan Parker – free-improv saxophonist

If Fennesz is calling it a masterpiece…..I simply cannot wait!!
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:18 pm

>>>Wow…so excited by this line up
Anyone who is not keen on Blemish, better brace themselves!
Fennesz – say no more IMHO
Burkhard Stangl, ex-Polwechsel
Keith Rowe (Yes, Rowe not Lowe) – free improv guitarist
Evan Parker – free-improv saxophonist <<<

Yes, and don't omit the importance of the presence of current Polwechsel members, drummer Martin Brandlmayr and bassist Werner Daffeldecker. An interesting rhythm section indeed. Brandlmayr deserves a large amount of credit for making his collaboration with Sylvian "Sleepwalkers" as palatable as it is. I usually can describe a person's drumming style quite easily--- yet his is hard to define. It flows and resonates in such a fluid motion. It is hypnotic.
Though I am still not all that "keen on Blemish", I do not fear the potential of this reported lineup of musicians. Blemish seemed too one dimensional, monotone and stark to my discerning ears. I highly doubt that will be the case with such extremely experimental musicians fleshing out Sylvian's ideas---or vice versa.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:07 am

This certainly sounds very exciting.
I really love Blemish now, wasn't keen on it at first, but find it (musically) very interesting, and was hoping he would expand on this, without the anger of the break up of his marriage, something akin to "Wasn't I joe?'
Can't wait.
And there you stand, Making my life possible
Raise my hands up to heaven, But only you could know
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion