what is the matter - gig cancellations

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:07 am

I have been told now that Lisbon for tomorrow is cancelled too :(

Edit: it is confirmed now in the Samadihsound myspace
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:13 am

Rhodesia32 wrote:How old is David?

born in 58, which of course makes him 50 next year.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Waves on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:17 am

On Hayden Chisholm's web he mentions on 11.10.07:

"Not even half way into this tour, I already have bouts of nausea and
moments where I can't recall in which country I am. No amount of Espresso will help this kind of fatigue."

Seems the tour is a bit much for other band members too.
Waves
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:26 pm

i am so sorry for those of you scheduled to see his cancelled performances. Perhaps when they (as it sounds like it is the entire band succumbing to illness) are feeling better rescheduled dates for late in the year will be made.

I do hope all the band members rest up and begin to feel better. I can't imagine being ill while on tour in other countries feels very good at all.... it is awful enough to be sick on ones own environment.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:27 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:
John Trevethan wrote:Reluctantly, David has had to cancel the shows in Moscow and San Sebastain due to illness brought on by fatigue.

:roll:

Why does David act like a feeble old man these days.

sorry.

LOL!
Don't be so mean...the man is ill, and he isn't 20 anymore...he's 50...!
Last edited by Meyrav on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:04 pm

I have to wonder what they are doing on this tour that is making everyone so wiped out?? Older musicians tour much harder than this and are far more energetic on stage.

As someone else mentioned, this isn't the first time he's not felt well on a tour. No wonder he doesn't care for it. Hope whatever it is, passes quickly for him.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

I just don't think he has the strongest constitution as it is.
But is it just me or do the everyday viruses and "bugs" seem to be harsher than they used to be? I mean it seems to me when people get sick now it just completely wipes them out...

I just read on the ymo site from one of the russian fans that the venue was told his throat is very bad and he is having trouble even speaking. Hope it's not his tonsils cause that is a B***ch to deal with as an adult.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:19 pm

Yikes, that doesn't sound good!!!! :?

*keeps praying for next week*
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:41 pm

I agree with the comment about bugs/viruses, and if it hits one person in the band chances are everyone comes down with the same malady.

David's had his tonsils out, way back in the Japan days. I've seen that mentioned in several old articles, think Napier-Bell makes a comment about it in one of his books too.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:49 pm

You are right about the bugs of today, I am convinced they are worse now then when we were all younger. Heck, I was wiped out for about a week this year with what everyone else called a flu/cold - I called it death boiled and then refried!!

If your immune system is not working properly, (I know mine isn't, - thanks to a fatigue problem of my own), what seems like a minor mylady to others is a major setback.

My fingers are crossed for those who have tickets to his remaining shows, - hopefully all is well with David (and any of the others), very soon.

Sore throats... that is plenty of bed rest, lemon drinks, and some Vitamin B supplements....
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:35 pm

proggrl wrote:I have to wonder what they are doing on this tour that is making everyone so wiped out?? Older musicians tour much harder than this and are far more energetic on stage.

Exactly.

I could name several musicians much older than David, touring harder than he is, witout 'fatigue' or cancelled shows.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:01 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:How old is David?

He will be 50 next year.........in February I believe-----can't remember the exact day.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:
John Trevethan wrote:Reluctantly, David has had to cancel the shows in Moscow and San Sebastain due to illness brought on by fatigue.

sorry.

Perhaps people questioning why David isn't out there when he or other members of the band aren't feeling well enough to perform shouldn't get critical of the musicians if they themselves have never gone on tour like David and other other musicians do. It seems kind of silly to call him old and feeble when he and the band are traveling country to country between performances. One can imagine it being very stressful and tiring getting into the bus every night after a show, driving hundreds of miles to the next gig and then having to do it all again.

And think about it, if you payed money to go see one of these shows, I bet you people would not be happy if David or one of the other band members gave a subpar performance because they were sick. The guys want to give their best to the audience, as can be seen in the postponement/cancellation of some of the shows.

And just because the website says he's fatigued doesn't autiomatically mean he's tired, perhaps he or one of the other band members are sick (as was mentioned before). Touring in buses like that often lead to bouts of illness.

People should lighten up a little bit. :wink:
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:42 am

Rhodesia32 wrote:

sorry.

That's so unfair. It must be pretty tiring being on the road for such a long time. I know how I feel after hanging around an airport and taking just one flight, I'm always pretty knackered after it.

I think there is a bit of resentment towards David because he has chosen not to play in the States this time round. Give the guy some slack people, your turn will come soon.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:00 am

sllimeel wrote:David did a exclusive interview for serbian radio station B92 in Belgrade 09th october 2007. Sounds like he may have a cold as some have mentioned!

Looks like he was already ill more than 10 days ago. I'm surprised he resisted so long. Then, if other members of the band start feeling bad, there's only one thing to do: stop!
It's useless to make comparisons, if you're ill you're ill.
(Earlier this year, by the way, Roger Daltrey abandoned the stage in Verona halfway through the gig because his voice let him down, and surely he's no weakling.)
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion