Exhibition in Naoshima Island

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Exhibition in Naoshima Island

Postby ZenV on Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:17 am

Hello, everyone. How are you all?
This is my first comment on JapanSylvian. com.

I've found out that David's audio art work is beeing exhibited among various famous modern Japanese artists in Naoshima Island in Japan now. I've checked the Naoshima site, but I've only found his name on the list and found the title "when loud weather buffeted Naoshima" on the Samadi site. does anyone know any more details? If it is really interesting, I want to go to the exhibition. The island is bit far from my place (I live in Japan, in Nagoya)

I've been reading through your massages every day. They are so enjoyable. I feel so lucky to find this site. Thank you, Silvermoom for making this great site.

All the best ZenV
ZenV
Noob
Noob

Postby Bern on Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:36 am

Hello Zen V

If you go to the official site www.davidsylvian.com there are further details
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:47 am

Hello ZenV!

Welcome to the web site!! I am glad you enjoy it and I hope you always do! :-]

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby ZenV on Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:50 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I've checked out the David Sylvian site already, and I'm looking for some more detailed information. I might ring up someone on Naoshima Island to find out more about it. I might even go to see it if I can get away from my family for a while! If I find out anything more, I'll post it.

All the best, Naoko
ZenV
Noob
Noob

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:26 pm

Yes keep us informed about the exhibit :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

DS's audio work on Naoshima

Postby ZenV on Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:52 pm

I read a report on a Japanese fan site from someone who has had the experience of David's audio work in Naoshima. Walking around Naoshima while listening on an iPod to David's audio work, which is a kind of collage of the sound of wind, footsteps, people's voices and so on, he got confused trying to distinguish the sounds of the audio from the sounds of the landscape he was looking at. And he felt the atmosphere of the landscape was altered by the recorded sound.

This report impressed me a lot . . . but wait a minute! . . .
if his audio work was made from the sounds of the island itself, wouldn't these be the same sounds I could hear on the island without an iPod? I'm a bit confused now. . . .

I suppose what is exciting is that I could experience the island in the same way that David did on the day he made his recordings, just like hearing thorough his (darling) ears!
ZenV
Noob
Noob

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:04 pm

oh man that must have been such a cool experience. I wish he'd do something like that over here in the U.S. I could totally see him doing something cool at the MOCA museum in Mass.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion