Crazy Sylvian Fans

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Crazy Sylvian Fans

Postby missouriman on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:30 am

b for butthole
Last edited by missouriman on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Crazy Sylvian Fans

Postby Chet on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:07 am

i understand both sides.
i have always been very curious to check what he's doing next,
and I have always bought all his material, and i guess i always will,
but still, i do think 84 - 88 was his best period, by far.
(i hope "died..." will be his best release since SOTB)
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:53 am

I've got a lot of sympathy with your views Missouriman. The thing about Japan and then Sylvian in particular is that it has ALWAYS been about progression and finding new vocabularies and new ways to express things musically.

Look at the Japan albums: from 70s glam-rock to timeless synth-funk in the course of four years. It's been the same with David's work: he always has a vision for the albums and they have always involved change. It is one of things I admire about him most.

Even now, so many years in, he has invented a new vocabulary with Manafon. And I find it fascinating how so many people are excited about Died in the Wool. It suggests that with Manafon he stretched our ability to hear (perhaps uncomfortably so) and now something only slightly less radical, slightly softened by strings, suddenly seems an easily digestible proposition.

I think there are those who love Sylvian (less so Japan) for his beautiful ballads. That reached its apotheosis with Secrets of the Beehive and that is where many remain lodged, aching for a repeat. Each to their own, but I think a fan who appreciates the constant evolution and embraces it is closer to the heart of David's journey.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Bern on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:03 am

Well said Blemished, I think progression is the key.
I started off as a Japan fan in 1980 and I have allowed Sylvian as an artist to take me on a musical journey, it has been quite a rollercoaster ride but just as Sylvian couldn't have progressed to Manafon without Blemish and The Tenant back in 1979, I wouldn't have progressed to the beautiful sound of Thomas Feiner I am playing while I am typing this without Sylvian, but not everyone wants to progress, like the saying goes you can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:24 pm

b for butthole
Last edited by missouriman on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:12 pm

Only two people posted negatively about DS in the thread that made you feel you had to leave, you are in the majority!
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:44 pm

b for butthole
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:56 pm

I'm glad DS said decades ago that he works for his own satisfaction and not for the audience. Ever since the very early days he has refused to tread old ground and that should be respected, even if you don't always "enjoy" the work in a toe-tapping pop sense, it's a pleasure to experience. There's always the back catalogue if you feel nostalgic.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 am

"Toe Tapping Pop" by David Sylvian is due for release on the 2nd of May
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Six One Cynic on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:22 pm

I pretty much just wanna live in the future, but I'm not interested in learning a future new argonaut's quirks, so I'll take the devil I know (and the devil whose CDs I got for free somewhere) and ride with him, it's all about NOW, NOW, NOW!

It doesn't help that I've been desensitised to David's early material completely with the release of Manafon, even listening to Blemish seems like oceans of time.
Six One Cynic
Regular
Regular

Postby Stoobie on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:32 pm

i listen to everything from Obscure Alternatives through to Sleepwalkers !

Yip, my favourite period was 84-88, but i am still a fan of the progression DS has made

Keep going DS, I might still get that Sakamoto Joint album & Tour yet !

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby humanracer on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:12 pm

These people have the right to an opinion. Surely it is ignorance when you have to like everything by an artist just because you are a "fan". I respect DS recent output my it is not my cup of tea. I am not asking him or anyone to recreate any old sound but I can be honest and say I don't enjoy the recent stuff. For the record:

With the exception of Snow Borne Sorrow, I dislike everything DS has done since leaving Virgin records.

I think Depeche Mode were far better with Alan Wilder and the recent stuff is pretty average.

I think the Human League haven't made a decent album since Dare, though they have done some great singles.

I dislike most of Ryuichi Sakamoto's output since Sweet Revenge though I admit the classical pieces are beautiful.

I think the new Duran Duran album is the only decent thing they have done since 1993.

I think the new YMO stuff is bland and boring.

I think Yukihiro Takahashi hasn't made an interesting album since 1992.

I think Tangerine Dream haven't made an interesting album since 1988.

I think Howard Jones output since 1986 has been generally poor.

It is very hard when someone tells you that an album you like isn't good or that they don't like something new by your favorite artist but at the end of the day it is just a matter of taste and they should be allowed to voice an opinion. For the record I am 29 so not some old 80s throwback. I just prefer Sylvian's Virgin era from Polaroids to Everything & Nothing. I think everything else since then is just really not something I would ever go out of my way to listen to.

Robert
humanracer
Noob
Noob

Postby missouriman on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:06 pm

b for butthole
Last edited by missouriman on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:35 am

I'm no fan of cliche, MM but perhaps ebay a L.I.F.E.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:24 am

I have received many complaints about this topic, and I just want to say a few things before I lock it.

This is the first time I have had to deal with people reporting posts. In the future, please send me a private message if a post is bothering you, as it is easier to address the problem and take care of it. If you are going to report a post, GIVE DETAILS on why it is being reported.

DO NOT change all of your original posts to something completely irrelevant after the fact. The next time this happens, I will delete every single post, and the poster will be warned. I am leaving this topic up as an example of what NOT to do.

NO personal attacks at other members. That is one of the original rules and it is grounds for banning. No one is going to be banned but consider this a warning. If you have a problem with what someone is saying, please try to work it out with that person or just keep it to yourself. Personal attacks are unacceptable.

Please note I am not directing these rules at any one person in particular, I am posting this to REMIND everyone the rules, and to add a few new ones (that I didn't think I would have to add). One of the things that sets JapanSylvian apart is that we all usually get along great. ... Let's cut out the arguing and insulting and start treating each other like guests in our own homes.

Thanks everyone for reading... This topic is now locked.

-K
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Return to General Discussion