Will Japan now tour again

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Will Japan now tour again

Postby shesgotmedals on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 am

Please don't shoot me down, it is very soon after the sad passing of Mick, but I was thinking today, if the rift between Mick and David was the reason that the band never reformed and toured, will they ever reform now and tour in the future.

My questions are :

Do you think this will ever happen?
If it did, would this be welcomed without Mick?
Would you go to a show?

Love and respect from Scotland
As Orpheus sings of the promise tomorrow may bring
shesgotmedals
Regular
Regular

Re: Will Japan now tour again

Postby Bern on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Japan will never reform and perform "Japan" songs, but can I see Sylvian/Jansen and Barbieri doing a collaboration and touring to promote it, yes why not?
but that wasn't really your question was it

As it's my first post following Mick's passing just want to say cheers for unique dance style and the wonky bass
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:37 pm

shesgotmedals wrote:Please don't shoot me down, it is very soon after the sad passing of Mick, but I was thinking today, if the rift between Mick and David was the reason that the band never reformed and toured, will they ever reform now and tour in the future.

My questions are :

Do you think this will ever happen?
If it did, would this be welcomed without Mick?
Would you go to a show?

Love and respect from Scotland

It wasnt ever going to happen anyway ! unfortunately

RIP Mick ! under rated and will be greatly missed :-(

From a fellow fifer !
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:03 pm

my mourning is not only for Mick, but - less importantly, and more selfishly maybe - for there not being a chance for a Rain Tree Crow 2.
I absolutely adored that band/phase, worship (ok.. adore will do) the album, would also like to hear the raw, un-Sylvianised mixes as well etc.. as much as I mainly come from the David side of things, I feel Mick was the one, even back in Japan (the band), to lend it a 'dark-hue' contrast. with him out of the picture (how grossly this sounds now), I guess I'm not so interested in a 3-piece collaboration among the other three (such as that would be even possible now) as I find their 'colour palettes' to be pretty similar.
however, I think there's a good chance we'll find traces of Mick's presence in David's work to come.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Not sure about this thread...to talk of 'Japan' without Mick is bizarre.

It's like talking about the Beatles without Lennon or McCartney.

There is no Japan. They were a great band, living the life of a band in a period that has long since passed.

And I'm glad. Every album was a progression and they quit at their peak. Very few bands achieve that.

Yes, it would have been good if there had been RTC II - there was always magic there - but RTC were not Japan. I always thought Sylvian was right on that score.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby piggymirror on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:00 pm

As far as I know, David Sylvian still plays live Rain Tree Crow songs, as well as 'Ghosts', 'Nightporter', and 'The Other Side of Life', which are the only Japan songs that have survived Sylvian´s own test of time through many setlists.
I don´t have much hope to seeing him play things like 'The Unconventional' right after, say... 'A Fire in the Forest', don´t you think so?
As for Rich coming to play with David and Steve under the name 'Japan', or even 'Rain Tree Crow', I think many (most?) fans would consider it sacrilege now that Mick´s gone.
I would´t mind (actually I´d love to see!) Rich coming to play with the other two, but always under the 'David Sylvian' moniker, or 'Nine Horses', or any other new name.
piggymirror
Noob
Noob

Return to General Discussion