Robert Sandall

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Robert Sandall

Postby Blemished on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 am

I was really sorry to read today that Robert Sandall has died of cancer.

For those who don't recognise the name he was a highly respected music journalist best know for his reviews and interviews for The Sunday Times and his BBC Radio 3 programme, Mixing it.

He was a big supporter of David Sylvian, interviewing him for The Sunday Times and a number of times on Mixing it - which was one of the few programmes that actively explored cutting-edge modern music. I recall him giving a lovely introduction to a playback of A fire in the forest and a very interesting interview with David around the time of the release of Snow Borne Sorrow.

I would post a link to his obituary in The Times but they are behind a paywall now.

His passing is a real loss to music journalism in the UK.

ADDENDUM - This is Robert's review of Manafon, via Samadhisound.

http://www.samadhisound.com/reviews/the_arts_desk_cd_of_the_month_david_sylvian_manafon.html
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Robert Sandall

Postby Serotonin on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:01 pm

For those of you living in the uk, BBC3 radio - 'Late Junction' 11.15pm tonight (Sept 22nd) is presenting a show dedicated to Robert Sandall. Copied from today's The Times newspaper:
"Fiona Talkington introduces some of the favourite tracks of her fellow presenter Robert Sandall, who died in June."

It would be nice it they could play one or two Sylvian's tracks, but somehow, I doubt it...
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Robert Sandall

Postby Serotonin on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Yes, they did play Rain Tree Crow (the track). Beautiful, yet so brief. And Fiona's comment on David: 'a truly remarkable artist'.
... and on the following night, they played Five Lines :smt060 . It's the first time I listened to this song in full, as I'm still waiting for the delivery from Samadhi!
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to General Discussion