Sylvain Chauveau.....Blemish-Lite?

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Sylvain Chauveau.....Blemish-Lite?

Postby untitled on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Just wondered if anyone had heard Sylvain Chauveau's new album Singular Forms (Sometimes Repeated)? He's a French musician who has released mainly instrumental electro-acoustic music. His main vocal release to date, was an album of acoustic Depeche Mode covers. I'm not a huge DM fan, but Chauveau's versions were lovely.

Anyway, his new release Singular Forms, is a vocal album of his own songs, which may be of interest to Sylvian fans. Not least because of a more than passing similarity in the vocals. But more than that......the whole album feels a little like Blemish-Lite. Didn't like the jarring guitars, raw emotions and general lack of melody in Blemish? (I feel I should mention at this point, that Blemish is my favourite DS album :wink: ) Then, Chauveau offers you sparse piano, sections of actual melody and lyrics which are melancholic rather than uncomfortably revelatory. It doesn't blow me away like Blemish, but it is a nice album.

Many reviewers are making a big thing of the Sylvian comparisons. Some even saying you can't tell the difference if you don't know it's not him. I can't agree. For me, Chauveau's voice lacks the depth of Sylvian's. If you haven't heard him yet, you can listen here:

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=282198

http://www.myspace.com/chauveau
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Sylvain Chauveau.....Blemish-Lite?

Postby digimarsh on Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:32 am

Thanks for the link, yes indeed his voice bears a striking resemblance to David's, but there is no mistaking that it's not the man himself.I must say i enjoyed listening to the samples and they do remind me of Blemish, but it does not detract from the fact that this sounds like a fine album and one alot of us would enjoy, worth £4.99 i think.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:14 pm

i think hes more a copy of mr sylvian that david did this first 2003...but listening to the new albulm that sylvian chauveau did yes i find this a relly nice album that im likely to buy....thanks for the link :smt006 :smt006
neonico

Postby Adrian on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:37 am

I have an album from 2004 (I think) where he and someone called Steven Hess recorded improvised tracks, which were then remodelled by Deathprod - absolutely fantastic album. For fans of Bass Communion and Murcof a.o.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion