John Tilbury

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

John Tilbury

Postby Simonp on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:04 am

Anyone know where i can get hold of more music by this guy? I love his contributions on Manafon and would love to hear more by him

Cheers
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: John Tilbury

Postby Adrian on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:29 am

get Polwechsel, 'Field' on HatHut, which features him...
also: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_0_7 ... ix=john+ti
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 am

Thanks Adrian. I'll check it out.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:19 am

Duos for Doris, his double CD with Keith Rowe, is his generally accepted improv masterwork. his modern classical releases are what he's best known for, pretty much all different degrees of fantastic, with the best being the now OOP complete Feldman Piano 4 CD box on LondonHALL, Allpiano. the double CD of Feldman's Triadic Memories that came out earlier this year on a small Italian label is one of the best releases of the year IMO.

that's a start, plenty of other suggestions if you want. Field would not be among them, I'm not a fan (the first long track especially is shockingly dull).
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:19 am

thanks for the recommendation jon, I'll give it a go. I actually ordered Field this afternoon based on what Adrian said so I'll let you know what i think.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:50 pm

AMM's latest titled 'Trinity' features a trio of Tilbury, Eddie Prévost and John Butcher, and this is one which I am enjoying especially for the strong aspect of Tilbury's beautiful piano.
Another release which I have recommended elsewhere is 'Absinth' by Tilbury, Werner Dafeldecker, Sachiko M, and Franz Hautzinger. In my opinion, getting the collaboration with Polwechsel is a good decision.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:25 pm

baht habit wrote:AMM's latest titled 'Trinity' features a trio of Tilbury, Eddie Prévost and John Butcher, and this is one which I am enjoying especially for the strong aspect of Tilbury's beautiful piano.
Another release which I have recommended elsewhere is 'Absinth' by Tilbury, Werner Dafeldecker, Sachiko M, and Franz Hautzinger. In my opinion, getting the collaboration with Polwechsel is a good decision.

heh, I'm not a fan of any of those, there are probably at least 10 Tilbury discs I'd pick before those. a lot of the AMM ones (the real AMM, before Keith left), the Schmickler/Tilbury-Variety (A-Musik), the solo improv one on Rossbin, the Hands of Caravaggio with MIMEO, etc.

Absinth is the best of the three baht recommends, and specifically relevant as it was also recorded at Amann Studios (as were the Vienna sessions for Manafon), but I never thought the musicians connected very well and I don't like how Sachiko is recorded/mixed.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to General Discussion