Sylvian and spirituality

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Sylvian and spirituality

Postby sheisnot on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:45 am

I've studied various spiritual paths for several years now. I tend to gravitate more to Eastern religions and African/Caribbean spirituality, but my interest in David Sylvian has led me to study Eastern spiritual practices more of late. I've been a fan of his for years, but only recently have I delved more into who he is and what he's interested in. It's yielded good results for me so far (discovering Paul Auster's novels, for example). I was wondering if anyone else here became interested in studying more spiritual subjects because of DS and if so, what results came of that.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:21 am

wow, it is really amazing you should bring this up. The answer for me is a resounding yes. I've always considered myself a spiritualist... I'm drawn mostly to the Pagan path. But, since rediscovering mr. sylvian last fall I've found myself drawn to many eastern religions. I've begun reading about Buddhism and trying to put many of its principles into practice. Most definitively, a compassionate heart, releasing the ego, releasing attachments, and embrassing each moment. I find a message in david's music that reverberates through my core... one of calm, spiritual guidance and open ended love.
It has caused me to reevalutate my entire purpose. I feel like I'm leaving a part of my life and entering a new juncture which is exactly where I'm supposed to be. I never felt I was doing the right thing and now i feel like i'm getting on the right path for me.
Thanks for bringing up this subject I think it is a very valuable one.
Namaste'
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:14 pm

I, too, get that message of love from David's work, even his more painful works like "Blemish" or "The Only Daughter". I also hear elemental themes and ideas (water, especially), which really appeals to me on a spiritual level.

Reading about his beliefs has been very interesting for me. Despite the fact that I study Eastern religions, it's hard for me to put much stock in the idea of a guru--I've always been suspicious of the praise and glad-handing given to these living "saints". Granted, I've never been in the presence of one; doing so might completely change my perspective. However, after looking at the various websites of David's gurus, I still feel reticent about believing all their claims and must admit that it all seems a little cultish to me. With that said, I am trying to have more of an open mind about it and have recently begun studying "the guru" as a concept more, and David Sylvian is directly responsible for my doing so. Perhaps he is becoming my guru? From what I understand of the nature of teacher/student relationships in the realm of spiritual studies, it's entirely possible.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:29 pm

i think in all areas of religious or spiritual studies there are those who have more knowledge and understanding of the path... if those people are referred to as guru then so be it. I follow my gut instinct... if I get a hesitant vibe about it all then I don't subscribe. One must be fully aware of agendas when it comes to humankind. I feel if one is not being hurt in any manner of the word then so be it for them. We are all different and all have different levels of wisdom at which we are at. I don't negate other's beliefs... if it brings them comfort then all the better for them.

I would say in my view david has acted as a sort of transmitter for spirituality. He does not speak specifically about which path he follows but does speak of the general doctrines.

I am actually planning to read shree ma's biography this summer. I'm in the middle of reading one of the dalai lama's books at the moment. I find his writings to be simple and warmly spoken.

I agree with you completely about the theme of water... makes a lot of sense with him since he's a pisces. I connect on that fluid level as well... being a water sign myself... in fact i'm a pisces as well.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:25 pm

What is the title of Shree Maa's biography?
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:01 pm

Shree Maa: the life of a saint by Swami Satyananda Saraswati I believe that is the one i purchased.... i'll have to double check
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:10 pm

Thanks. I'll have to check that out. Her website biography is not very detailed.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby kinki on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:11 am

Good topic, this. Couldnt open it last night for some reason. Weird.

Anyway - I dont pretend to be as well read as you two, but I certainly feel where you're coming from in terms of spirituality and David. Even back in the early days he seemed to be searching for something beyond the immediate world and didnt fit the materialistic pop star stereotype.

Re-discovering him at this point in my life is very fortuitous too. In addition to the wonderful music, I feel very attracted to following a more 'spiritual' way of living, for want of a better phrase. You know, what Gods says about reliquishing the ego, living each moment, respecting and tolerating others, being calm and loving instead of grabbing and frenetic.

And through his music his spiritual voice is gradually reaching me and is, if it doesnt sound too pretentious, somehow guiding me on this path...
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

sylvian and sprituality

Postby Krishna-Lila on Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:57 am

I wouldnt say that David's music has lead me onto a spiritual path I remember, as a young teenager, listening to Gentlemen Take Polaroids I already desperately wanted to become a Catholic. Most of my metaphysical angst, the desire to 'find myself', has long since disappeared. If anything, music helped me to be more comfortable with being lost in the world.

However, I remain very interested in certain aesthetic and superficial elements of religion. Im very drawn to the idea that eastern religions have a more profound sense of 'playfulness.' The image of the Gods laughing as they create the universe provides a much more interesting take on the myth of creation; and a much more interesting model of the artist immersed in the creative process.
'deconstruction is the possibility of justice' j. derrida
Krishna-Lila
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:32 pm

I am a very spiritual person by nature... i think david and his music just caused me to investigate areas i never really would have. I'm finding much comfort and connection to much of what i've been reading...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:42 pm

This is an excellent topic and one I have great interest in. Sylvian has opened up my eyes to many different things including cinema, art and literature. And because of his interest in all things spiritual, I too became interested in the subject. The whole guru/disciple thing fascinates me and I have read much on the subject. One of my favourite sites is www.vedanta.org If you read past interviews with Sylvian he tells of how it was Ingrid who got him interested in Vedanta.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion