David Sylvian, the Last Romantic

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby Moonshadow on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:49 pm

so no vocals in this record... such a shame he has some strong and sweet pipes there... I have to admit it I love when he sings
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:19 am

Bamboo 1984 - 1992

Bamboo came into being in the time between the final Japan tour and Forbidden Colours, when Debi Zornes, Howard Sawyer and Vicky Hurst planned to run an official fan club for the ex-members of Japan. After many frustrating months due to mis-communication within Japan's management company Chadwick-Nomis, the trio decided to use the material they had collected for the fan club magazine (including several exclusive interviews) and publish a totally independent fanzine instead. Throughout, the trio managed to hold down full time regular jobs, and with the basic materials to hand in the early 80's, produced one of the most professional and longest running fanzines in history. As the 80's progressed, due to work commitments, more and more of the work was undertaken by Debi, who with a small group of volunteers held parties/conventions twice a year, usually at The 100 Club. Exclusive audio and video material was shown, plus an occasional ex-member would make an appearance. Groups from the fan base would also play, including an early incarnation of No-Man/Porcupine Tree. Sinead O Connor also made her UK debut live performance at one Bamboo party, singing "All Tomorrows Parties" with guitar accompaniment from Rob Dean.

Bamboo also published two very special editions, a "Japanese Special" which followed Yukihiro Takahashi's 1985 tour, and a much more lavish affair, the book "Eighty Days", all about David's 1988 tour.

After 10 years and 35 issues, Bamboo ended and Debi founded Medium Productions, so in a way Bamboo lives on...
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moonshadow on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:12 am

So you think this book may be somewhere on internet like abe books????
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Waves on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks Tin Bird for all the info. I have seen the cover of the book on eil.com, so I know what to look for now.
Probably will be buying David's new CD first, before finding this book and being able to afford it. But I did not know this book existed, so thanks for the info, also on the story of the fan group!!
Waves
Regular
Regular

Postby Moonshadow on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:56 am

Waves wrote:Thanks Tin Bird for all the info. I have seen the cover of the book on eil.com, so I know what to look for now.
Probably will be buying David's new CD first, before finding this book and being able to afford it. But I did not know this book existed, so thanks for the info, also on the story of the fan group!!

Found the book, but is sold out... I have to wait hope is not too expensive
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Stoobie on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:43 pm

Moonshadow

If it helps i sold mine a couple of years back for £35 !

It was a good read and i sold it to someone who contributed to the book but never got their hands on a copy ! it went to a good home !

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moonshadow on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:01 pm

Not that expensive as I thought... I found David's photograph book on abe books but it was so expensive that I would never be able to buy... not now maybe in the future, distant future.
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Stoobie on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:21 am

Moonshadow

i have a "need to have" list which includes CD's/Collaborations etc... and a "nice to have list" this would include Trophies, Trophies II etc...

Some of Davids Releases / Books etc..are beautifully presented, but are expensive as a result.

Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:55 pm

I have 80 days, The Last Romantic, Trophies 1-3 and Ember Glance (slightly wrecked now) so here's my contribution:
80 days: insightful and interesting though gets a bit laborious I think.
LR: Commented elsewhere on this - good introduction to the guy, but not brilliantly written, discography is not detailed. Trophies 1/2: really lovely, beautifully presented T3: Just the Blemish lyrics and a poem, nice artwork but not on a par with 1+2 for quality of production in my view. Ember Glance: beautiful but mostly images (naturally) than words, although the essay is really good.
Agreed about the interviews - the sound on sound interview re: The First Day for example, is far more insightful, specific and interesting than any of the above. in my view. It's available on the net, but I think you have to dig for good interviews etc cos a lot spend their time providing an overview of his career - the assumption being that the reader will have no idea who the hell he is I suspect.
So, there's my ha'penny's worth!
And remember it's just an opinion! If you disagree, fair enough.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:58 am

Moonshadow wrote:So you think this book may be somewhere on internet like abe books????

I've found it a number of times on ebay and on amazon.com
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to General Discussion