Another David/Prada story

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Another David/Prada story

Postby pradakid900 on Mon May 12, 2008 11:55 am

Hi everyone. There's a new kid on the block here.

I recently posted a story under the Open Season category to a thread listed as 'Randomness' about my first live encounter with David and have received some requests for another story, so being specifically about David I am putting the next story here. Check out the original post to get a grip on whats going on.

Warning: my stories can be lengthy and detailed, so I will try to condense as much as possible.

So, met some other fans at the shows in England, and we all exchanged photos, they gave me copies of their recordings of the shows, we kept in contact and planned on meeting up for the American leg of the E&N tour. One flew across the country and stayed with me for the San Francisco show, which was incredible, by the way. It was at THE Fillmore, a tiny venue steeped in rock/blues history. I was up front standing dead center stage with my chest at the stage floor and so close to David that I almost felt I was invading his performing space - it was unreal!

Then, all four of us met in Los Angeles for the next CA show. How ironic - seeing David in a town like LA - the last place you would associate with him. Got some killer shoes from the Prada store on Rodeo - the most beautiful shaped shoe I have ever seen. Our two friends stayed at the Hyatt, also legendary for it's musical guest list, while my friend and I slummed it in some shanty motel so I could pay for my shoes!

In the most strangely coincidental play of events, David and the band just so happend to be staying at the Hyatt, as well. Our friends saw the tour bus and told us about it the day of the show when we had lunch at that cheesey hotdog-shaped diner on Sunset.

David played again an amazing show at the Wiltern theatre, a beautifully ornate venue, perfect to experience his music. Being that this is America, with our guns and gun laws, stalkers, etc., we knew there was no use in waiting for him after the show, so we just decided to go back to the Hyatt and have some drinks at the bar and bask in our excitement.

We were sitting in the almost empty bar at this window table overlooking Sunset Strip (with this huge, ever changing, neon billboard across the street flashing brightly, illuminating everything) and a couple of rounds into our drinks, our digital photos, sharing stories and such when lo and behold, in walks the band.

Everyone kind of freezes and then that surreality begins to creep in. I believe it was Tim, Keith and Matt. They ordered drinks at the bar and sat down at a table across the room from us, paying us no mind at all. My companions were sort of star struck and were hesitant to approach, but I got up from my seat and told them that I planned on being a gentleman. I walked over, introduced myself, told them I thoroughly enjoyed the show, and then they invited me to have a seat with them, and I did.

Needless to say, my friends were floored as they watched me from across the room as the four of us chatted like chums - the cocktails helped. I told them that my friends would surly like to say hi, and the guys said "of course," so I called them over. Together we all chatted for a bit, we thanked them then excused ourselves and went back to our table.

Even higher than before we sat enjoying ourselves to the hilt, when all of a sudden my friend looked up with her eyes as wide as ping pong balls and quietly gasped, "It's David."

Okay, this has already gotten so long...let me know if you wanna hear the rest. 8)
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Postby Melaszka on Mon May 12, 2008 1:36 pm

Of course we want to hear the rest! :!:
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Mon May 12, 2008 3:53 pm

:shock:
Yaaaa!! You HAVE to continue! Please...
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Tue May 13, 2008 2:58 am

so, a passionate night exchanging prada-shoes with David follows?
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Tue May 13, 2008 4:38 am

Meyrav wrote::shock:
Yaaaa!! You HAVE to continue! Please...

yes please...

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue May 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Am I the only one who isn't quite following this? (Refer to original post in "Randomness') - I mean, David's Vegan, right? Bhuddist? Hindu? God-knows-what-else, but generally spiritually worthy and not into wearing anything that might have involved the use of animal products etc etc? Am I correct in this assumption? So what is he doing wearing something that resembles pony skin? Or even WORSE, actually is made from pony skin? Talk about double standards! :roll:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Tue May 13, 2008 4:47 pm

This is a v. good point... and also the famous white shoes worn on the last tour, weren't they leather as well?

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Wed May 14, 2008 8:24 am

Well spotted, Astronaut. I'd never thought of that. And didn't he make a holier-than-thou swipe at Ingrid a while back for starting to eat fish again? (Although possibly not - you know my unreliable memory for interviews). People in glass houses...

But I suppose he could have bought the shoes before he decided to give up animal products. Most vegans have leather shoes from way back that they're still wearing out.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Wed May 14, 2008 12:07 pm

yeah would love to hear the rest of that story - you tease!

I get the impression (re: the leather stuff etc) that David was getting a bit rebellious; drinking again (photos on his site - well there's a couple of pictures in bars anyhow), swearing etc. I dunno - I just got the impression he had had enough of the 'oo look at me I'm dead spiritual and impressive' stage and the separation bought out in him a more 'f. you' attitude.

Maybe I am very wrong.

I wasn't wrong about Celine Dion being brilliant, though. Oh hang on. Yes I was....

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Wed May 14, 2008 2:10 pm

Camphorvan, there is a definite element of truth in what you've said, but I think ( and this is just my opinion) that Mr Sylvian has always been an inconsistent and contrary character.
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Wed May 14, 2008 3:52 pm

Astronaut wrote:Camphorvan, there is a definite element of truth in what you've said, but I think ( and this is just my opinion) that Mr Sylvian has always been an inconsistent and contrary character.

I agree. After all, that's the reason we love him! ;-)
It's so boring to be the same all the time and similar to everyone else.
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Thu May 15, 2008 4:21 pm

Yeah - I can understand that being very contrary myself. Actually no I'm not. Yes I am. No I'm not...etc ad infinitum
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sat May 17, 2008 11:19 am

:-D I'm not sure whether you're contrary or just indecisive Camphorvan! :lol: (perhaps just terminally confused?)
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:19 am

it seems pradakid has quite an active life to keep us waiting for the rest of the story for so long... MORE PLEASE!!! I WANT IT and I WANT IT NNNNNOOOOOWWWWWW! LOL

Not quite sure what being being buddhist or hindu has to do with wearing leather... yes i understand the whole hindu holy cow thing.... but he's western and not some saint. He's never said he was anything but a human being... human beings by their very nature are imperfect ... never got a holier than though attitude from him about anything... let alone his ex wife eating fish. I know what interview you're speaking of and there was no "tone" in his speaking of it.
To me I always just got the impression he was investigating his own spiritual nature... and being a pisces myself I know how obsessive we get about things and throw ourselves into them... then taking what we learn we move on.
Just my thoughts on the matter at any rate....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:26 pm

I was mainly referring to his vegan/vegetarianism. And quite honestly, who wants to wear a cardie made from a hairy dead horse? Sounds distinctly unappealing to me ... but, that's just my opinion for what it's worth.
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion