For those who have the new tour book...

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

For those who have the new tour book...

Postby Smalldot on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:19 pm

What do you all think of The World Is Everything tour book? I quite like it. When I looked at the page which gave a list of the catalog for Samadhi Sound, I couldn't help but notice that it reminded me of the old days of 4AD records. Sure, the photography isn't as esoteric as that of 23 Envelope, but there is a similar ethereal quality to Samadhi Sound's image that used to be present at 4AD Records.

What do you all think?
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:17 am

I agree - I really like SS's design work; apart form the music, which I also love.
and the tourbook is great!
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:12 pm

I have to say that usually Davids printed works are better,
the choice of paper quality is not as generous as we usually see,
and... well, no,I do love it, especially the cd.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:25 pm

I realize david doesn't like to advertise his own visage any longer, but we as fans do enjoy seeing it. I would have preferred a full page head shot of him... However, I adore seeing his own work in print finally. Yes few more pages would have been nice. Otherwise I love it... especially since a lovely kind friend (bridget darling) got me ds and sj's autographs :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:53 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:I realize david doesn't like to advertise his own visage any longer, but we as fans do enjoy seeing it. I would have preferred a full page head shot of him...

It's a rather strange reluctance, seems to go according to his mood. Blemish had a painting of him on the cover - which I thought made sense as it was the first release on a new label - kind of a 'remember me?' thing. He's done a few self-portrait photos on the site, always playing with his image (behind a camera, half obscured, in a mirror). Odd for someone whose lyrics seem so open to sharing his emotional state of mind, who has stated it is most important to him to touch people with his music...but yet he hides. I guess it isn't important, but it would be nice.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:33 am

heartofdavid wrote:
godisinthesilences wrote:I realize david doesn't like to advertise his own visage any longer, but we as fans do enjoy seeing it. I would have preferred a full page head shot of him...

It's a rather strange reluctance, seems to go according to his mood. Blemish had a painting of him on the cover - which I thought made sense as it was the first release on a new label - kind of a 'remember me?' thing. He's done a few self-portrait photos on the site, always playing with his image (behind a camera, half obscured, in a mirror). Odd for someone whose lyrics seem so open to sharing his emotional state of mind, who has stated it is most important to him to touch people with his music...but yet he hides. I guess it isn't important, but it would be nice.

I'm sort of thinking from an interview he did years and years ago he feels his talent is from god or divine spirit however you want to think of it. And it is out there for people to enjoy... listen to whatever... but he doesn't want the music to become about his physical appearance. I guess he wants people who listen to just hear the music and to not attach imagery to it... or at the very least not attach imagery of himself to it.

Is it just me or do you think that some of the things he says are contrary to some of the things he does?
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 am

guess he's just human after all...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Chet wrote:guess he's just human after all...

Yeah, I think that's it. He's uncomfortable with his physical image or the use of it, and that is just how it is.

Personally, I think it's weird to separate aspects of yourself, whether talents, personality traits or physical characteristics, as being better or from god, than any other. It's all one entity, the vessel and its contents. The music will always be connected to images other than those created by the music in the mind of the listener - the packaging of the CDs, the design of the website and so on. But this is a whole other topic.

As for the tour book, I think its lovely and generous in its design.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:00 pm

heartofdavid wrote:Yeah, I think that's it. He's uncomfortable with his physical image or the use of it, and that is just how it is.

Personally, I think it's weird to separate aspects of yourself, whether talents, personality traits or physical characteristics, as being better or from god, than any other. It's all one entity, the vessel and its contents. The music will always be connected to images other than those created by the music in the mind of the listener - the packaging of the CDs, the design of the website and so on. But this is a whole other topic.

As for the tour book, I think its lovely and generous in its design.

I don't understand what you mean?? I totally understood what david meant when he said this... may be i didn't translate it correctly or something....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:23 pm

heartofdavid wrote:He's done a few self-portrait photos on the site, always playing with his image (behind a camera, half obscured, in a mirror).

i haven't seen every picture of sylvian, i haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this, but to me he always looks distant in photos. even in the early days. the only reason he is looking straight at us from the cover of blemish is because it is a painting.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Sylvie wrote:
heartofdavid wrote:He's done a few self-portrait photos on the site, always playing with his image (behind a camera, half obscured, in a mirror).

i haven't seen every picture of sylvian, i haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this, but to me he always looks distant in photos. even in the early days. the only reason he is looking straight at us from the cover of blemish is because it is a painting.

I have a number of images where he is looking directly at the camera... but there is a difference between looking at the camera and looking inot the lens. Boy would I love to photograph him.... It would be an interesting experience I'm sure.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:38 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:I don't understand what you mean?? I totally understood what david meant when he said this... may be i didn't translate it correctly or something....

I went off on a personal thought tangent there - how it strikes me when people say things like "my 'whatever'" is a gift from god - it sounds funny in an exclusionary way to me - like the rest of the person isn't - they pick and choose those parts of themselves they like and those are gifts...so what are the rest?

But in relation to his music and his not wanting people to attach any imagery to it, I think that's impossible. Like I said, just the way it's packaged presents an image and creates some impression in the mind of the listener. Fair and fine that he prefers not to use images of himself, but to me, there is a funny form of denial contained in that because he is his music, so to speak - the words, the music, his voice. It represents who he is through sound. If some people in turn connect that with what he looks like because they are familiar with his image, I see that as furthering communication.

But maybe that's just me.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:40 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:but there is a difference between looking at the camera and looking inot the lens.

I totally agree. He's very good at not doing the latter.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:21 am

heartofdavid wrote:
godisinthesilences wrote:I don't understand what you mean?? I totally understood what david meant when he said this... may be i didn't translate it correctly or something....

I went off on a personal thought tangent there - how it strikes me when people say things like "my 'whatever'" is a gift from god - it sounds funny in an exclusionary way to me - like the rest of the person isn't - they pick and choose those parts of themselves they like and those are gifts...so what are the rest?

Yeah i think i didn't translate well what he implied. He wasn't saying he wasn't part of God or that his art was something seperate... some "gift". He was being humble and not taking credit for the actual source. Obviously the manner in which it comes is from his own experiences and how he as an individual translates it, but he's not taking credit like he is more important than anyone else. It is his way of showing his own divinity and recognizing that we are all a part of the same source. I'm trying to think of where I saw this... i've heard him speak about it twice as i recall. Once was in Preparations, but for the life of me i can't recall what the other interview was.
I found it to be a really interesting point... But I do think perhaps his not wanting to be in images anymore is really related more to him not wanting people to attach to his image as part of the music. That's just my thought on it though.... no hard and fast rule :-)
Interesting discussion needless to say :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 am

Life is a gift from God. Just being here on this planet is a gift from God. I think it's OK to credit your talents (whatever form they take) as "gifts from God". I personally do not think David was dismissing other areas of 'self' 'Ego' or 'psyche', merely suggesting that some aspects of his creative ability were more blessed than others, maybe? :-D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion