Nightporter

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Nightporter

Postby kinki on Wed May 24, 2006 11:59 am

You know, it sounds silly but when it came out I never 'got' the fuss over Nightporter and thought it was rather second rate Erik Satie.... and even though I can appreciate it more as the years have gone on, I've never warmed to it as much as everyone else seemed to....

Just wondered what you all thought?

I sort of feel the same way about Ghosts - maybe I just didnt like it when a Japan song became more 'mainstream'... :D :roll: I preferred it when only a 'select few' liked them....hehehe :roll:
Last edited by kinki on Wed May 24, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Wed May 24, 2006 12:21 pm

Didnt' care for "Ghosts '' too much twenty-plus years ago, but it must have made an impression on me because now I like it very much, same for "Nightporter".
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Wed May 24, 2006 1:51 pm

Well, I've always loved Nightporter from the first time I heard it. Ghosts, however- it took me a long time to warm up to it! But now it's great.

I never really got into Taking Islands in Africa till recently. It was only when I heard the live version on the Methods of Dance bootleg that I started to appreciate it.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Wed May 24, 2006 2:38 pm

Yeah know what you mean about Taking Islands - it was always my least favourite track on GTP...I havent heard of the Methods of Dance bootleg...tell me more...is it downloadable/purchasable or anything?

Dont get me wrong about Nightporter/Ghosts...I appreciate and love them now, but my fickle teenage brain dismissed them at the time as being too 'popular' or something, god knows.... :roll:
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Wed May 24, 2006 2:55 pm

kinki wrote:Yeah know what you mean about Taking Islands - it was always my least favourite track on GTP...I havent heard of the Methods of Dance bootleg...tell me more...is it downloadable/purchasable or anything?

Dont get me wrong about Nightporter/Ghosts...I appreciate and love them now, but my fickle teenage brain dismissed them at the time as being too 'popular' or something, god knows.... :roll:

Yep, you can download it (and a bazillion other bootlegs) from the YMO Rare's (a Yahoo! group), all you have to do is join and request FTP access and you've got rare Japan/Sylvian goodies to your heart's content! :wink:

I know what you mean about the "too popular" situation! I often wonder why Japan weren't/aren't more popular, but when I think about it- if everyone started liking Japan, I'd be quite annoyed, maybe even to the point of listening to them less and I'd never let that happen... 8)
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Wed May 24, 2006 6:05 pm

lastgoldstar wrote:I know what you mean about the "too popular" situation! I often wonder why Japan weren't/aren't more popular, but when I think about it- if everyone started liking Japan, I'd be quite annoyed, maybe even to the point of listening to them less and I'd never let that happen... 8)

Yeah know what you mean - I remember at school I think I was the only person who liked Japan and always felt like I had to defend my love for the band against immense p*sstaking. 'God, why do you like them? Bunch of weirdo poofs...' etc etc.....

..and it was GREAT, because I liked something NO-ONE else 'got' and therefore felt superior. :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed May 24, 2006 6:26 pm

Nightporter was the song which made me fell completely in love with them and still remains one of my favourites.

Ghosts took me a little more time , but when I got into the lyrics I cried actually , beacuse I thought the song was talking about me...I love it.

lastgoldstar I'm with you... well, I don't usually stop listen to my fav bands [the ones that are now around ,I mean] when they became more famous but it's true that I usually get tired of watching them at tv or playing them all day on the radio... I hate that "musical bombing" from the Media...It's just pure manipulation. I had stopped listening to the radio actually, except for one indie station that is the only one with a decent and rational schedule.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed May 24, 2006 8:17 pm

Nightporter is a great song! I have always loved it! I have always liked ghosts too- But it wasn't one of my absolute favorites- but then when I heard David Sylvian's acoustic version on guitar, I loved it! I listen to it all the time, I think that version is so beautiful. I wish I knew if there was actually a recording of it I could put on my ipod!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby krausy on Wed May 24, 2006 11:07 pm

kinki wrote:
lastgoldstar wrote:I know what you mean about the "too popular" situation! I often wonder why Japan weren't/aren't more popular, but when I think about it- if everyone started liking Japan, I'd be quite annoyed, maybe even to the point of listening to them less and I'd never let that happen... 8)

Yeah know what you mean - I remember at school I think I was the only person who liked Japan and always felt like I had to defend my love for the band against immense p*sstaking. 'God, why do you like them? Bunch of weirdo poofs...' etc etc.....

..and it was GREAT, because I liked something NO-ONE else 'got' and therefore felt superior. :D

Re: Lastgoldstar quote ----that happened to me with INXS. I was heavily into them before Kick came out. Then they got huge and I lost interest for many years..............

Re: Kinki's quote------I felt that way too about bands that i liked. No one at my high school wanted to listen, except for my two best friends---hence the reason we got along so well--we were on the same plane......
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Thu May 25, 2006 4:54 am

Lucky you that you had a couple of friends on your wavelength...

The down side of them not being that popular for me was that there was literally no-one at school who I could gush about them with....and really, until I found you lot, I've always been solitary in my Japan-love... :lol: :cry:

*cheers* to everyone - at last, at the age of 40, I've found some Japan freaks! :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu May 25, 2006 8:04 am

kinki wrote:Lucky you that you had a couple of friends on your wavelength...

The down side of them not being that popular for me was that there was literally no-one at school who I could gush about them with....and really, until I found you lot, I've always been solitary in my Japan-love... :lol: :cry:

*cheers* to everyone - at last, at the age of 40, I've found some Japan freaks! :D

Well, like they always say, "Life begins at 40" maybe it really is true. I guess I'll find out for sure in a couple months. I must say I have been enjoying my life all along anyway.

kinki, I'm glad we found each other!!! this has been really fun.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Thu May 25, 2006 11:07 am

Likewise m'dear. Just a shame we dont live in the same country, otherwise we could meet up!...

I've more or less enjoyed my life up to now, with a few minor ups and downs, but I feel at my current age to really know who I am and what I like, and I dont care what people think about me any more... :wink:
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu May 25, 2006 12:40 pm

kinki wrote:Likewise m'dear. Just a shame we dont live in the same country, otherwise we could meet up!...

I've more or less enjoyed my life up to now, with a few minor ups and downs, but I feel at my current age to really know who I am and what I like, and I dont care what people think about me any more... :wink:

Oh I know. It is too bad that it takes all that time to get to this point and figure out who you are, what you want, and that yeah, you could really give a crap what people think. Wasted too much time in youth worrying about that stuff. Of course you young folk out there that know what you want and how to get it----good for you. Hey, try different things, keep an open mind, and see what happens. You may eventually decide to go a different direction but hey, that is expected and you certainly have the time.

I think all in all I have been pretty lucky and blessed in my life---good family, good friends, and stayed clear of the things that would destroy me. I have no real regrets.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Thu May 25, 2006 6:02 pm

krausy wrote:
kinki wrote:Likewise m'dear. Just a shame we dont live in the same country, otherwise we could meet up!...

Oh I know. It is too bad that it takes all that time to get to this point and figure out who you are, what you want, and that yeah, you could really give a crap what people think. Wasted too much time in youth worrying about that stuff. Of course you young folk out there that know what you want and how to get it----good for you. Hey, try different things, keep an open mind, and see what happens. You may eventually decide to go a different direction but hey, that is expected and you certainly have the time.

I think all in all I have been pretty lucky and blessed in my life---good family, good friends, and stayed clear of the things that would destroy me. I have no real regrets.

I'm having a "little" crysis about that rightnow. You know, I'll leave College in a year or two ,and I don't have any idea about what I'm going to do with my life, I feel again that I don't fit anywhere in [like when I was at school ... :( ] ...well, I'll stop now, i don't want to bore you with my problems and my depressive mania :?
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu May 25, 2006 10:52 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, Poisoned--Apathy, but read my last post again, and remember, just keep an open mind and do what feels right for you, not what you think other people think is right for you to do. Other people can't live your life for you---you have to live your life for you. If you constantly do something or aim for something that goes against everything you are, you will not be true to yourself.

Know what I did for almost ten years after I graduated college? I waited tables. I guess you can say my degree in Psychology came in handy for that position :? . I also dabbled in selling Insurance, but found it wasn't right for me at the time (I do keep my license to sell current in case I change my mind). Now with my job at UPS I feel I am using my education every day and I truly love my job.

It will happen for you, it may not be tomorrow, but you will realize one time out of the blue that you are "there".

Sending you a hug long distance :-D
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion