In Praise of "Still Life in Mobile Homes"

Talk about anything Japan-related.

In Praise of "Still Life in Mobile Homes"

Postby missouriman on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:53 pm

I have been listening to this track after years of thinking I was too familiar with it so didn't need to listen to it anymore. What an amazing array of synth sounds and lines. It's an extraordinary track if you hear it through good headphones. Steve's punch drums, and Richard's synths are great. I always thought "Sons of Pioneers" was the most adventurous track, but it's this. Listen again. Listen hard.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: In Praise of "Still Life in Mobile Homes"

Postby Blemished on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:36 pm

I totally agree with you. The production and sound design on that track is sublime and I still think it sounds powerful and fresh. My favourite bit was always the middle section, with the clattering, percussive synths and the oriental female vocal. Just love the way it leads into the guitar.

I hope nobody's offended by me duplicating this image here, but I was delighted to see this image of the track sheet on Steve's tumblr site. Just love the image and the insight into the process. What also strikes you is how amazing it was that they created such a depth of sound with relatively few tracks by modern standards. Nearly everything today uses endless tracks. The relative economy of this is astounding.

© 2014 steve jansen all rights reserved

Prints of this image are available for sale via Steve's tumblr site.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: In Praise of "Still Life in Mobile Homes"

Postby ibehre on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:01 pm

I also agree, it's a great track. It has such a great vibe, that is maintained throughout while the song is still allowed to develop. I especially enjoy those great percussive synth sound and how they're utilized to perfection - It's one of the really great things about Tin Drum as a whole.

- And thanks for posting the pic - Very interesting!
Btw, if ever in doubt about copyright stuff - Post a link! - People can sometimes be touchy about reposting, but everyone always loves an incoming link.

/Niclas
ibehre
Noob
Noob

Return to General Discussion