Just wondering...

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Re: Just wondering...

Postby missouriman on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:54 am

Last edited by missouriman on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:13 am

that doesnt matter mo. its about the legacy not the man. and if david were doing anything interest we can talk about that too. the problem is... there's nothing of interest coming from the man right now. unless you think the botched k-watt thing counts. :)

get some manners mo. Micks family checks in here all the time
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 am

Last edited by missouriman on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Let's not all get into a big argument over the banner on a web site for goodness sake! Or turn it into a proxy for other gently simmering rumblings.

Some will like it, some won't. I don't want to get into a debate over it, as it's pointless. Baht kindly and correctly understands where I'm coming from in terms of the (light) refresh.

It's over thirty years since Japan finished, and most of the former members have continued to produce new music and explore new ground. Inevitably, most discussion is around this and - hopefully - future material / projects and I wanted to bring the site a little more up to date to reflect that.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby missouriman on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Last edited by missouriman on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Nonetheless, I still would like to see Rob Dean's name up there. It's not a question of nostalgia, just of fair appreciation. Whether we care about him or not, whether we enjoy what he's up to or not, the fact that he was a member of Japan cannot be denied/deleted.
I just hope this isn't seen as an order. :D

P.S. As Chad pointed out, Rob Dean plays with Los Chanchos De Monte.
P.P.S. Like Baht, I too prefer the austerity of the refreshed design.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:20 pm

I really like the new new banner.

I was never happy with the ambivalence indicated by the 5 pictures, with Dean seemingly very out of place, and then the switch to just the 4 names did not seem quite right either.

(I always detested the "dancing David".)

Maybe the lively and caustic bickering will die down? Probably not...
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blood of a Poet on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:14 am

It's interesting how a few changes have stirred things up here - good to see that people are still passionate about the site! Originally japansylvian.com was the vision of my daughter Silvermoon: I built the site for her back in 2006 when she was 17. Of course she was a fan, and japansylvian was conceived as a fan site - isn't that what these sort of boards are always about? Isn't everyone registered here a fan as well? From the highbrow set who loves everything from Manafon onward, to the group that considers the first two Japan albums the only true version of the band, we are all fans or we wouldn't be here!

I did want to mention that Silvermoon was not the typical teenage "fan girl". Although originally focused on David Sylvian she quickly developed admiration and respect for every member of Japan (including Rob Dean). It was always her intention to cover all aspects of every member of Japan, past and present - hence the name of the site. She was not dwelling on the past, neither was she neglecting it.

Regarding the previous top banner on the site, you may have noticed that the pics of each member were the newest available at the time (with the exception of Rob, for obvious reasons). They were all live shots as well, reflecting the current projects of each member. I never thought that the banner was embarrassing to any of the members, or "fan girly" in any way.

As far as "Dancing Dave" goes, it's  called humor. We all knew that wasn't the DS of current times, but Silvermoon found humor in an eternally dancing Dave. No matter what she was doing - on the site or away from it, Dave was always there dancing!

Rest assured that no matter what people on the board speculated, none of the members including David took personal offense from these things. One Christmas my daughter received a copy of Snow Borne Sorrow from Samadhi Sound with a hand written note on the back from David himself complimenting her on her efforts. Another time she received a full set of notecards (already out of print at the time) from Mick Karn featuring his sculpture and art. She framed these items and hung them on her walls although she never mentioned a word of them here on this site. She did not want to be viewed as having any special treatment, and regarded every member on this site equally as she did with all the members and associated artists relating to Japan.

At a Porcupine Tree show Richard Barbieri recognized Silvermoon and invited her and the people she was with backstage. Richard talked about this site and shared his views on Japan and its various members. Suzanne Barbieri sent my daughter early manuscripts of a book she was working on, and several members of this site sent her piles of clippings, photos and articles having to do with David and Japan.

Why do I mention all of this? Of course because I'm proud of what she accomplished and still surprised that someone so young would become that passionate about a band which had broken up over seven years before she was born. But I also mention these things to make it clear that japansylvian.com was maintained with the best of intentions. As the years past my daughter grew up, got a job, moved out, bought a house and met the man she intends to soon marry. During all of this her available time to maintain this site became increasingly less. 

Eventually the server which the site was built on reached the end of its life and we decided it was time to move on. Originally I was simply going to let the site die, and the domain expire. We are greatful that Blemished stepped forward and continues to carry the torch of japansylvian.com - although it seems he is now faced with the balancing act of keeping the various camps here happy! 
~ Blood of a Poet ~
Blood of a Poet
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Blemished on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:18 am

Thanks for a wonderful post, Blood of a Poet. All I can add is that, having now seen 'under the hood' of the site, I can tell everyone else that it was constructed with great skill, care and effort! Truly a fantastic effort.

There is also the minor matter of dealing with the endless 'junk' attacks - I currently have over 1000 emails sitting in the inbox - largely fake member requests from China. So if anyone is trying to join and finding it slow, that is why! Imagine the maintenance efforts needed over the years by the founders to combat this and keep this place a great environment for discussion.

It's a great story and I'm really glad that you and your daughter's efforts were appreciated by the band as well.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:23 am

No names, just JapanSylvian.com, absolutely perfect!
As Blood of a Poet said, it's all there, the past and the present. We can see in that whatever we want.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:20 pm

missouriman wrote:DULLEST THREAD IN RECENT MEMORY HERE AT JAPANSYLVIAN.COM...

Dullest thread?

Well done my friend.
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Chad on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:12 pm

not sure if this was intentional or not, but when you click on the banner it transports you to mickkarn.net site. I think thats kind of cool ... and based on the conversation above maybe a little spooky too. :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Stephenf on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:14 pm

missouriman wrote:Do you really think it's news to Mick's family to read that he's dead? I loved Mick Karn's stuff, but he's gone.

If we let this nostalgia trip about Japan fester the next thing will be discussing the immense contribution of shite bands like Classix Nouveaux to the 80s music scene. Japan had ONE hit record and a couple of lps worth listening to and I bought EVERYTHING back then. I don't view the past through rose tinted specs.

Sylvian and Jansen could care less about Japan's legacy. If checks from sales still drip in then good for them, but the borderline insanity I see written about Japan on certain Facebook fan pages leaves me shaking my head. The fat lady sang already...

Sylvian not Japan is where it's at.

The first line of your post, absolutely disgusting mate.

I tried to refrain from replying but your total lack of respect is pitiful to say the least, I don't listen to Japan anymore and rarely revisit the early years of Sylvian but i totally respect people who might be nostalgic or sentimental when it comes to how a period of their lives might have been impacted, as regards Sylvian i would have loved if 'Manafon' had been a huge commercial success but i also realize that it alienated a lot of hardcore fans that were totally bewildered by 'Blemish' only to be given a temporary reprieve by 'NH'.

It's very easy for people on here to chastise those that don't like like what Sylvian does today musically but to deride others opinions based on their own taste just smacks of arrogance and high brow disdain.

If someone like 'Chad' for instance doesn't like the present going, well then he has a right to say it out loud!!! I for one would have a lot more respect for that than a total asshole being so far up his own bonnet that he can't see the road for the mist.
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Last edited by missouriman on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:35 pm

I've deleted quite a few of the more...ahem...intemperate posts.

Let's keep it civil people.

Thanks. Blemished.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion