The Velvet Underground cover.

Talk about anything Japan-related.

The Velvet Underground cover.

Postby Bap De La Bap on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:52 am

Would be All Tomorrows Parties, right?

What about European son, thats also a Velvet's song (that I've never heard) is that a cover or just a nod in the direction of?
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden
Bap De La Bap
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bern on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:06 pm

They also covered (although I have never heard it) Venus in Furs during the Quiet Life era and Sylvian wrote an instrumental during the Polariods sessions called Angel in Furs which also never saw the light of day, and as you rightly say European Son was simply a little "title" plaigerism on Sylvian's behalf
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby gokartmozart on Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:47 pm

Funny you should mention VU... seen the news today?

"VELVET UNDERGROUND RECORD ON EBAY SELLS FOR FORTUNE"

By Verena Dobnik, The Associated Press
NEW YORK — Forty years after it was made, The Velvet Underground's first recording has become a financial hit — in cyberspace. Bought for 75 cents four years ago at a Manhattan flea market, the rare recording of music that ended up on the influential New York band's first album, The Velvet Underground & Nico, sold on eBay for a closing bid of $155,401.
The buyer is a mystery, only identified by the eBay screen name: "mechadaddy."

But a greater mystery endures: How did the 12-inch, acetate LP end up buried in a box of records at a flea market?

Warren Hill, a collector from Montreal, bought the record in September 2002 at the flea market, according to an article written by his friend, Eric Isaacson of Mississippi Records in Portland, Ore. in the current issue of Goldmine Magazine.

Isaacson helped Hill decipher the nature of the lucky find.

"We cued it up and were stunned — the first song was not Sunday Morning as on the Velvet Underground & Nico Verve LP, but rather it was European Son— the song that is last on that LP, and it was a version neither of us had ever heard before!" Isaacson wrote.

The recording turned out to be an in-studio acetate made during Velvet Underground's first recording over four days in April 1966 at New York's Scepter Studios. The record reportedly is only one of two in existence; the other is privately owned, with rumors circulating about the owner's identity. Columbia Records rejected the album.

"I immediately took the needle off the record, and realized that we had something special," Isaacson wrote. Hill and Isaacson photographed the album, made a digital backup copy of the music, and decided to put it up for auction. The first bids, which began Nov. 28, rose $20,000.

Velvet Underground left its musical stamp on hundreds of other bands.

The band, named after a book about edgy sex practices in the 1960s, was fueled by Moe Tucker's hard-driving drumming, John Cale's anxious viola, and lead singer Lou Reed, whose lyrics spoke of drug-induced beauty and gritty Lower East Side realities.

The first album featured Nico, the European model-actress-singer in a first and last recorded appearance with the band."

PS>
Sterling, Rest in Peace my friend... I was honored to know you.
"The world is a king, and, like a king, desires flattery in return for a favor; but true art is selfish and perverse - it will not submit to the mold of flattery." Ludwig von Beethoven
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to General Discussion