JAPAN WILL Reform Again.....

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby natsume on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:39 am

Although I am still very fond of much of Japan's music, the notion of Sylvian, of all people, returning to the stage to sing Gentlemen Take Polaroids, is extremely depressing. And it will NEVER happen.

Isn't his conviction and integrity something we admire in his work? The fact that the man has made some of his best music (IMHO) in the past few years is enough for me.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:09 pm

I hope they reform before its too late for an album and tour under Japan not RTC. I would love to hear David singing quiet life live in front of me.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: reply

Postby VaporTrail on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:35 pm

japanfan wrote:I hope they reform before its too late for an album and tour under Japan not RTC. I would love to hear David singing quiet life live in front of me.

Please no.....that time has come and gone.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby girl about town on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:48 pm

I can understand why people would wish for Japan to reform and I have to say that as a fantasy it would be fantastic, however, Japan was a zeitgeist or spirit of the moment. Alas, Japan could never be recreated, David, Mick, Richard and Steve have moved on and evolved, matured and developed too much as individual artists. As much as I adored (and still adore) Japan they are not twentysomethings with the lack of self awareness that they now have. I feel that all members of Japan have grown and matured individually and have established themselves musically enough to not need the "umbrella" of Japan. Please forgive me if this comment does offend anyone but one of the reasons I still admire Japan and all it's members is that they are not stuck in the eighties, they do not cash in on any eighties revival, they have all aged with dignity and tried to move on. I have to admit, I was not a huge fan of the RTC album, I felt that it was uncomfortable and not quite right. Please let us remember how good Japan were and how good they all are now in their own individual way. I hope I haven't rained on too many parades!!! :(

Love to all,

girl about town
"These are years with a genius for living"

Mr Sylvian
girl about town
Regular
Regular

Postby Astronaut on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:11 am

girl about town wrote:I can understand why people would wish for Japan to reform and I have to say that as a fantasy it would be fantastic, however, Japan was a zeitgeist or spirit of the moment. Alas, Japan could never be recreated, David, Mick, Richard and Steve have moved on and evolved, matured and developed too much as individual artists. As much as I adored (and still adore) Japan they are not twentysomethings with the lack of self awareness that they now have. I feel that all members of Japan have grown and matured individually and have established themselves musically enough to not need the "umbrella" of Japan. Please forgive me if this comment does offend anyone but one of the reasons I still admire Japan and all it's members is that they are not stuck in the eighties, they do not cash in on any eighties revival, they have all aged with dignity and tried to move on. ... Please let us remember how good Japan were and how good they all are now in their own individual way. I hope I haven't rained on too many parades!!! :(

Love to all,

girl about town

I agree with every word of this Girlabout... Japan reform? No, that would be just too sad! As you so rightly say everyone has moved on since 1982. I just couldn't imagine them on stage as Japan. I would have given my right arm to have seen them perform live, but sadly that wasn't to be and I've accepted that fact. With respect, I appreciate it must be different for the much younger fans who didn't get to experience the heady days when Japan were all over the music press and in the charts, but wanting them to reunite just so you can hear them play your favourite song in front of you sounds a little selfish to me. Please, if you have any respect and love for them as artists please don't consign them to mediocrity - we all deserve better than that! :-)

Respect to all ...
Astronaut
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:29 am

It has been drawn to my attention that in the interview I half-cited as evidence of DS wanting to work with Mick again, he actually says pretty much the opposite - that although he wouldn't rule it out, he can't see it happening any time soon, if ever:
http://www.innerviews.org/inner/sylvian.html
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:06 pm

To quote;

"Had the recording of the Rain Tree Crow album been completed without any animosity, with a great level of excitement, enthusiasm, love and good humor—that’s the true relation of the band prior to external influences coming into play—we were talking about doing a second and third project, and a tour. I think that would have been absolutely wonderful. It didn’t happen and I’m not sure we can ever reestablish that trust again, but I try to remain open-minded to it."

Straight from the horses mouth. Other albums AND A TOUR !!!

This was said almost 10 years ago....time for relationships to develop again, priorities to shift.
And both Mick and David accept that MAGIC happens when all 4 get together.
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mikaels on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:49 pm

girl about town has got it absolutely right, IMHO.
No need for a reform, they were great at the time, the albums still are (I actually listen more to Japan than David Sylvian), but that was then, and this is now (to borrow a phrase ;))
I was lucky enought to catch the farewell tour, but it is available on DVD, and I think it is mcuh more interesting to see and hear new stuff than a greatest hits tour.
Now, new stuff with David, Mick, Richard and Steve would (or might) be great, but not under the name of Japan, please!
/Mikael
--------------------------------------------------
- 'Do you indulge in any form of worship?'
- 'Life. I love life, very much indeed.'
mikaels
Regular
Regular

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:49 pm

David first made mention of there having been a possibility for further RTC albums shortly after the release of that album. However, when those comments were shown to Steve and Rich (from various interviews, several were reprinted in the Bamboo fanzines), they said this was news to them - had never been discussed.

I think all parties concerned had different takes on what went on, and why.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:19 am

I personally hope they never reform again. I know that sounds kinda harsh, but other bands I love (eg Duran, Hello Sailor, Dragon), they all reformed, and sold out their history.

Straight from the horses mouth. Other albums AND A TOUR !!!

You can read anything into anyone's comments, especially David's. Yes there WAS a magic when the four got together. It doesn't mean that it would happen again, if they reformed. Take Duran for example, I remember reading reviews of the Thank You CD, where the reviewers said the only way DD would have hits again would be with ALL three Taylors. Well we had Astronaut, - no hits there!!

Who is to say that the sound that Japan created could be replicated today?
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:57 am

ellyn sylvian wrote:Who is to say that the sound that Japan created could be replicated today?

Or even if it could, whether it should be? And why would they even want to? :?
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:13 am

Astronaut wrote:
ellyn sylvian wrote:Who is to say that the sound that Japan created could be replicated today?

Or even if it could, whether it should be? And why would they even want to? :?

Quite. Music has moved forward so much in the last 20-30 years, that any attempt to recreate "the Japan sound" would probably be self-consciously retro and naff. And what was "the Japan sound", anyway? One of the things that I love about them is the way they recreated themselves with every album, and embraced change. Another reason why I can never see them returning to the past.

Part of me would still love to see DS, RB, MK and SJ all work together, as a completely new band, on completely new material, as the musicians they are now, not the musicians they were in 1981. However, I don't think DS really has the temperament to work as part of a band for sustained periods - he's too much of a loner and a control freak (and I do not mean that as an insult).
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:17 am

Melaszka wrote:Part of me would still love to see DS, RB, MK and SJ all work together, as a completely new band, on completely new material, as the musicians they are now, not the musicians they were in 1981. However, I don't think DS really has the temperament to work as part of a band for sustained periods - he's too much of a loner and a control freak (and I do not mean that as an insult).

I know exactly what you mean Mel. It would indeed be very, very interesting to see the 4 of them working together on new material. However as you've pointed out David's perfectionism and notoriously slow working methods (Blemish excepted) might be a cause for concern. They might be able to sustain the working relationship long enough to record together, but to then go on tour? No, I can't see that happening any time soon. But then, I don't know any of them personally, so what do I know?
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:02 am

Melaszka wrote: However, I don't think DS really has the temperament to work as part of a band for sustained periods - he's too much of a loner and a control freak (and I do not mean that as an insult).

I think you're spot on there Mel...

Obviously I don't know any of the members of Japan personally, but I think it's interesting that, for example, DS has spent the last 20-odd years working in an atmosphere of artistic control, and RB has spent the last 15 years (ish) as another quarter of a band again. Diff'rent strokes, eh?

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:15 pm

But wanting them to reunite just so you can hear them play your favourite song in front of you sounds a little selfish to me. Please, if you have any respect and love for them as artists please don't consign them to mediocrity - we all deserve better than that! :-)

Respect to all ...
Astronaut

I disagree, nothing selfish with wanting to see your fav band perform live. Japan were so good, it was a major loss to British music when they split. Therefore id love to see them come back, i think as a band they have many many more years and great albums in them. Nothing stopping them doing solo projects and continuing the legacy of Japan with an album every year or two, and the odd tour.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion