Cries And Whispers 1983-1991 - new Japan book

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Cries And Whispers 1983-1991 - new Japan book

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 pm

https://burningshed.com/anthony-reynold ... 20reynolds

Cries And Whispers is the long-awaited follow-up to 2015’s A Foreign Place, Anthony Reynolds' hugely successful biography of Japan.

Detailing the fascinating musical adventures of Richard Barbieri, Rob Dean, Steve Jansen, Mick Karn and David Sylvian from 1983 to 1991, the book takes in Sylvian’s solo work, The Dolphin Brothers, Dali’s Car, the brilliant but ill-feted reunion release Rain Tree Crow, and more.

This limited deluxe hardback first edition - designed by Carl Glover - includes many rare photographs, plus contributions from Bill Nelson, Johnny Marr, Bill Bruford, Robbie Aceto, Simon Raymonde, Ivo, Martin Fry, Michael Brook, Tim Bowness, Paul Morley, Thomas Dolby, the late Colin Vearncombe and others.

212 pages. 210 x 210mm square. Hardback book, cloth-bound with a gold and silver foil debos. Contains approximately 260 pictures, many unseen before.

For a limited period, the softback version of 'A Foreign Place’ is available with a 20% discount'

All copies will come with a postcard signed by the author
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Cries And Whispers 1983-1991 - new Japan book

Postby Quiet Visitor on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:14 pm

See also the Kickstarter-update https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... ect_update
(the first comment is from someone who had backed the first book but didn't have the credit he payed for - just like me...)
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:41 pm

The book arrived yesterday, together with a - signed - postcard, featuring a picture which is also in the book.
I went through it quickly and it looks very good again, so I'm looking forward to start reading this.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:34 pm

The problems with the site gave me the chance to read the whole book. :wink:
All in all a fine view on activities from the boys in these years, with a lot of interviews with people who were there.
I only had some trouble with the fact that it's a bit too much about Sylvian. I mean, 42 pages on the Shamans Tour, really that was a bit too much for me, although I really liked Robby Aceto's and Jennifer Maidman's contributions. And I'm really not interested in the descriptions of how (especially) Sylvian, Jansen and Barbieri looked like. I know the image of the bandmembers was an important issue for their fame, but since I got to know their music I was only interested in the records, not their make-up and clothing.
Funny thing was that I kept thinking: why is Dean on the cover. Reynolds doesn't mention him once! Until I read the Afterword which is entirely on him, including information on Illustrated Man and Slow Club.
I guess (hope), when there will be a third book the musicians will get a more even amount of words, because Barbieri, Karn and Jansen made a whole lot of records in that following period.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon10g on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:40 am

Burning Shed doing new(ish) versions of both books.

2021 expanded softback edition of A Foreign Place, Anthony Reynolds' critically acclaimed and comprehensive biography of the influential band Japan.
Cries And Whispers is the long-awaited follow-up to 2015’s A Foreign Place, Anthony Reynolds' hugely successful biography of Japan.
jon10g
Regular
Regular

Postby Nicrobliz on Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:19 pm

Based on the reviews I've read so far, I think I'm going to give this one a miss.

A Foreign Place is brilliant but, due to the lack of input from the band members, I don't think it's worth paying at least £20 for an incomplete account of that period.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Quiet Visitor on Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:18 pm

Just wondering if Anthony Reynolds will write a third book on Japan and its members, describing their activities from 1992 on.

No news about it on his site: http://www.anthonyreynolds.net/pages/ii_news.htm
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion