like planets

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

like planets

Postby depeon on Wed May 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Film of Yuka Fujii’s ‘Like Planets’ – premieres in Norway & UK
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: like planets

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:38 am

DS voice contributions sound very tired and lethargic indeed.
I hope this was just the treatment of the vocals, not a reflection of his state of health.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:29 pm

On June 15th David replied to a question on his book Hypergraphia:

"Hypergraphia took many years to produce. I do wish we'd published more copies to cover the demand. At this point I'd be interested in publishing a digital version as it'd bounce off the surface of any tablet. Time is short. I'll focus on what I have the time to. Let's see.."

So what the hell is he saying here? His time is short?

Not ready to let go of him yet.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lukasgardiner on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:39 pm

Positive: trying to finish his next solo album (therefore can’t focus on many things at once)

Negative: he’s sick and dying (PLEASE GOD NO!!!)
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Postby javier on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:11 am

lukasgardiner wrote:Positive: trying to finish his next solo album (therefore can’t focus on many things at once)

Negative: he’s sick and dying

He has almost completely withdrawn from the public eye over recent years, and (aside from photography and a couple of throwaway soundscapes) hasn't produced anything in almost a decade.

It's easy to assume there's something wrong (especially so with such ambiguous quotes!) but more likely is that he's just had enough and is happily indulging his interests, busy spending time with the people and doing the things he cares about.

Whether or not his creative spirit remains intact is of course unknown. Maybe, like Roger Waters, he'll come back with a new album 25 years after the last. Fans of course would like to think there's more beautiful music to come, but as there's no substance to go on, only hope, it could be a long and pointless wait.

missouriman wrote:On June 15th David replied to a question on his book Hypergraphia:
"Hypergraphia took many years to produce. I do wish we'd published more copies to cover the demand. At this point I'd be interested in publishing a digital version as it'd bounce off the surface of any tablet. Time is short. I'll focus on what I have the time to. Let's see.."

Where is the quote from, missouriman?
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby lukasgardiner on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:13 am

Well. We will all have to accept what the future brings - even if it brings nothing new. With the amazing body of material we have access to we are lucky as fans even if nothing new ever emerges.
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Postby missouriman on Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:09 am

@javier

The reply he gave was on his Twitter feed when somebody asked if Hypergraphia would be republished.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:07 am

missouriman wrote:@javier
The reply he gave was on his Twitter feed when somebody asked if Hypergraphia would be republished.

Do you have a URL for his Twitter feed? I don't use Twitter but would like to read Sylvian's stuff there. Searching for "David Sylvian" didn't take me to his page.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:32 pm

@javier

He deactivated it again. He was gone almost 8 months from Twitter until very recently when he popped back to promote some of current listening and then a nice tribute for Keith Tippett.

He did mention to somebody not being on social media for all that time made him feel quite human again. I feel that vibe for sure.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:14 pm

I spotted him on there briefly....he was also asked about vinyl for Blemish...said that Universal had made some positive noises about 9 Horses, but generally they weren't that interested. He also remarked that if Universal weren't going to invest in the Samadhi catalogue then he would move it somewhere else when he could. 9H vinyl would be great.

Doesn't quite sound like someone seriously ill, but who knows? He's clearly had health problems. Could just take it that- like for all of us - as you get older you appreciate how finite our time is? Only so many things he can focus on?

Must be galling for him to see the stupid eBay prices on Hypergraphia. A bigger print run could probably have made a difference in terms of the profitability or otherwise of it - remember him saying they'd be lucky to break even.

I am intrigued as to whether we will get the next two volumes of Yuka's photos. Really looking forward to seeing the recording-focused ones if volume 2 surfaces.

I can see why he avoids social media, but do miss him. For a while - 2000 to 20-something, he felt very present.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:48 pm

I can see why he avoids social media, but do miss him. For a while - 2000 to 20-something, he felt very present.

I wish he would just leave his socials online...

Not being present is fair enough, but the online for 2.5 seconds then hide all the evidence narrative is sort of a downer. To my knowledge, this month he had his Twitter online twice but deleted it quickly after each reincarnation. I can never seem to catch it while it's online. :/
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jon10g on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:16 am

Hi
New member here. Love this site.
Does anyone know if the second volume of Like Planets is still a reality?
Thanks
Jon
jon10g
Regular
Regular

Return to Solo Work