new song Nothing Is Happening Everywhere

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

new song Nothing Is Happening Everywhere

Postby hitch on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:02 pm

i just find this:
Nothing Is Happening Everywhere (Featuring David Sylvian)

http://soundcloud.com/landnightwithin/n ... -happening

'NIGHT WITHIN' IS THE NEW ALBUM BY LAND, THE INSTRUMENTAL PROJECT OF LONDON BASED DUO, DANIEL LEA AND MATTHEW WATERS. REFLECTING MANY OF THEIR MUSICAL INFLUENCES, THE ALBUM IS A STARTLING COLLISION OF SOUNDS AND GENRES. THESE ARE WOVEN TOGETHER VIA SUBLIMINAL THEMES OF APOCALYPTIC CHAOS AND MODERN NOIR UNDERTONES - DRAWN FROM REFERENCE POINTS INCLUDING THE STORIES OF PAUL AUSTER, THE PAINTINGS OF ED RUSCHA AND THE URBAN NEON DISLOCATION OF 'TAXI DRIVER'.

WITH AN ARRAY OF ADDITIONAL PLAYERS INCLUDING ALEXANDER TUCKER (ATP), DUKE GARWOOD (FIRE), DANIEL O'SULLIVAN (SUNN 0))) & ULVER) AND JAMIE McCARTHY (GAVIN BRYARS), THE ALBUM MARRIES POST BOP JAZZ WITH BARITONE GUITARS AGAINST INDUSTRIAL SOUND DESIGN. ECHOES OF CLASSIC JAZZ ALBUMS SUCH AS CHARLES MINGUS, 'BLACK SAINT AND THE SINNER LADY' CAN BE HEARD. LATER JAZZ INFLUENCES SUCH AS THE MUTED TRUMPETS OF JACQUES COURSIL AND THE HEAVY FREE BLOWOUTS OF PETER BROTZMANN ARE ALSO EVIDENT. THE ALBUM HOWEVER BRINGS THESE ELEMENTS INTO A NEW AND ORIGINAL TERRAIN BY MESHING INDUSTRIAL SOUNDSCAPES, BLUES PIANO/BARITONE RIFFS, MOTORIK BEATS AND EXPANSIVE SCELSI-LIKE STRINGS. THE MUSIC IS ICY, SMOKE LACED AND UNASHAMEDLY CINEMATIC IN ITS ARTICULATION.

'NIGHT WITHIN' HAS BEEN MIXED BY BEN FROST AT GREENHOUSE STUDIOS IN REYKJAVIK, AND MASTERED AT ABBEY ROAD STUDIOS, LONDON, WITH A PROJECTED RELEASE DATE OF 2011.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: new song Nothing Is Happening Everywhere

Postby silentwings on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 pm

What an incredible find... ..thanks for sharing....
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Wow. Great find Hitch - thank you!

Drums sound like a Talk Talk loop, David sounds quite Bowie-like and menacing and that sax is joyously demented.

By the way, the mixer Ben Frost is a very interesting musician. He seems to be drifting more down a production route, but his 'Theory of Machines' album had something about it. I think he's worked with Eno too.
Last edited by Blemished on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Chet on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:08 pm

This must have been the first time that I felt nothing while listening to a song with David singing...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:05 pm

This is quite a tremendous surprise. Thanks for making us aware of its existence. After one cursory listen, the track sounds like a nice slice of free jazz which....
"I'll dig". :-)
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:16 pm

Chet wrote:This must have been the first time that I felt nothing while listening to a song with David singing...

Listen to it a few times. This is very good song.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:20 am

after third listen: still have a problem with the sample of Talk Talk New Grass. New Grass is a much stronger track. I will stop being negative now. Happy to see that David is productive.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby afternoonfix on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:25 pm

I like it -
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks!

Blemished wrote:the mixer Ben Frost is a very interesting musician.

Agreed.

Album Description wrote:THE ALBUM IS A STARTLING COLLISION OF SOUNDS AND GENRES. THESE ARE WOVEN TOGETHER VIA SUBLIMINAL THEMES OF APOCALYPTIC CHAOS AND MODERN NOIR UNDERTONES - DRAWN FROM REFERENCE POINTS INCLUDING THE STORIES OF PAUL AUSTER, THE PAINTINGS OF ED RUSCHA AND THE URBAN NEON DISLOCATION OF 'TAXI DRIVER'.

Oh, come on! :P

P.S. The album should be released on the 10th of July 2012.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:52 pm

More information on the excellent davidsylvian.net

David is listed as contributor of vocals on the album credits, but interestingly 'Nothing is Happening Everywhere' is not listed as a track, and the video put out of the first track - City of Glass - is the instrumental to 'Nothing is Happening Everywhere'.... ...so is David's contribution a different one to the one we have already heard?

Anyone know?

"L A N D

NIGHT WITHIN CD/LP
July 10, 2012

Daniel Lea: Baritone, Bowed Cymbals, Sound Design, Percussion
Matthew Waters: Baritone, Guitar, Piano, Bass, Percussion
David Sylvian: Vocal
Paul Cook: Drums & Percussion
Matthew Cousins: Bass & Percussion
Tom Farmer: Double Bass
Dom Garwood: Clarinet
Duke Garwood: Saxophone & Alto Clarinet
Jamie McCarthy: Violin
Daniel O'Sullivan: Piano
Alexander Tucker: Bowed Mandolin
Richard Turner: Trumpet

City Of Glass
Stillman
Into The Blue
Nighthawks
Cosmopolis
Hotel Room
Cold Desire

L A N D release their debut album, 'Night Within' on 10th July 2012 through Important Records.

Guest contributions include David Sylvian, Daniel O'Sullivan (Miracle and Ulver), Duke Garwood and many others with the two creators taking a directorial role. The album was sculptedin Reykjavik by Ben Frost, enhanced by his signature aural physicality and visceral sub bass. The album is a vast collision of sound, from free brass and woodwind to "geometric" bowed cymbals and metallic percussion.

But more than simply music, the multidisciplinary L A N D draw on and evoke a wide range of art forms. They describe this work as "approaching an apocalyptic noir narrative" and 'Night Within', despite its slate visual appeal which recalls the grey paintings of Gerhard Richter, thematically points towards a world occupied by the early postmodern detective stories of Paul Auster and the urban neon dislocation of Taxi Driver with its existential protagonist roaming the city alone late at night.CD & LP packaged in deluxe first edition letterpressed jackets."
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:42 pm

I've seen various release dates for this - all in July, but I've not heard whether the CD/LP has actually been released. Has anyone got their hands on a copy yet?

Greetings from the Dutch mountains,
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

The LAND album is out and this is a quote from a mail sent by Important Records today:
"Greetings from Important,
After long manufacturing delays (all of our upcoming vinyl releases are currently delayed) we're proud to finally be able to offer the much buzzed about debut album from L A N D. Thought much of their aesthetic revolves around cinematography and visual arts ( this has been the topic of numerous glowing reviews) what's most important is that listeners approach this music free of associations in order to discover their fascinating musical direction melding free jazz, big bass & instrumental textures. L A N D is easily able to move beyond the label of "soundtrack music waiting for a film" and stand on their own. L A N D are highly recommended if you've been paying close attention to MMOB, Grails, Guano Padano, Allessandro Stefana and similar sounds threaded through the Important label."
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:45 am

Yesterday the first eBay listings started to appear - as pre-order...
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Bern on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Following on from Silent wings posting the land release "Night Within" is available for purchase but the track listing doesn't contain the Sylvian vocal track "Nothing is Happening Everywhere", can anybody enlighten me, has anyone purchased it yet?
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:34 pm

At a first search, I found 2 different track listings, one for the CD version and the other for the vinyl version.
CD:
1. Nothing Is Happening Everywhere
2. Into The Blue
3. Stillman
4. Nighthawks
5. Cosmopolis
6. Hotel Room
7. Cold Desire

Vinyl:
1. City Of Glass
2. Stillman
3. Into The Blue
4. Nighthawks
5. Cosmopolis
6. Hotel Room
7. Cold Desire

Then I found this other one:
1. Cold Desire
2. Cosmopolis
3. Hotel Room
4. Into the Blue
5. Nighthawks
6. Nothing Is Happening Everywhere
7. Stillman

????????????????????????????????????????????

From a quick read through the davidsylvian.it forum, it seems that 'City Of Glass' is 'Nothing Is Happening Everywhere' WITHOUT the DS vocals. :smt101
No track listing on important records.com!
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work