Davids worst songs

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Postby Astronaut on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:21 pm

Phew! Thanks for not shooting me down! It's a good job we don't all like the same things otherwise this life would get really, really dull! BTW: Natasha, I knew you didn't like a certain someones lyrical contributions to DBOAC + I agree with that 110%. Talk about grating! Please go away Ingrid and take your asthma medication as it sounds to me like you are just about to have respiratory failure (cue breathy vocals and much whispering). I was actually referring to Camphorvan, who, I know doesn't much care for certain tracks on this album ... *Hi Camphor!*
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:47 pm

hhmm i know ingrid doesn't sound necessary on all his music but i do like her additions in some cases.
I wish stina nordenstam had contributed a bit more on 9 horses
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:53 pm

on Stina I have to disagree.
I like her own stuff, but had to edit her away from Wonderful World.
this beautiful song became so much better live, without Stina.
Davids voice is generous enough, he doesn't need her on this song.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:14 pm

hhmm i disagree... i think her addition added what could be another point of view in a conversation.
And, of course David's vocals are enough.... i was basing my opinion on that. As everyone knows the man could sing me the phone book and i'd be more than a tiny bit ECSTATIC!!!! His vocals are ALWAYS enough for me.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:41 pm

Evenin' all! Hiya Astro.

Well...yessss it's true I think some of DBOAC could be edited. The awful schmaltz of Cafe Europa for one. I just think a lot of it is out of context. All My Mother's Names fits brilliantly on Camphor, but not on DBOAC IMHO. Also, Praise is great - I really like it, but it's a David Sylvian CD not a Shree Ma CD. There are some great moments too, I think. Like The Shining of Things, which I absolutely love. I also really like Darkest Dreaming and other stuff.

As for it being a spiritual record, well I have my own opinions about that which I will not go into here - suffice it to say that I find a lot of it a bit hard to take and a bit deluded. But there you have it; we all have our opinions and I'm glad, reading this thread so far, that we are all respecting that. I am also glad that there is a thread which embraces a critical analysis of some of DS's output that kind of balances the 'DS - we are impressed by your music'...ness of many other threads.

But, to get back on track - the stuff I really can't stand of DS's are some of the collaborations he's done - like the Virginia Astley collab - 'Hope in A Darkened Heart' and that 'Goodnight' think with Sandii and the Sunsetz or whoever it was. Some of it is really badly produced as well - you don't need swathes of reverb or effects on the laughing man's vocals also.

Anyhoo...I'm orff.

Just to be contentious, and to follow on from a previous post of Astro's, I kinda like Ingrid's voice - it's erm....sassy. But, as for any discernible talent - I think that is highly questionable. Especially the hokey poetry. That nearly rhymed....maybe I should try poetry....also, I think that DS's lyrics are often brilliant - I mean that in the true sense of the word - just exceptional. But his poetry? Undisciplined and in need of edits. Lotssss of edits.

Ah opinions...opinions.

I have other opinions if anyone wants to hear them. Opinions about bunnies, windows and eggs. Anyone? No?

Anyway,...bysie bye.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:11 pm

camphorvan wrote:Evenin' all! Hiya Astro.

Well...yessss it's true I think some of DBOAC could be edited. The awful schmaltz of Cafe Europa for one. I just think a lot of it is out of context. All My Mother's Names fits brilliantly on Camphor, but not on DBOAC IMHO. Also, Praise is great - I really like it, but it's a David Sylvian CD not a Shree Ma CD. There are some great moments too, I think. Like The Shining of Things, which I absolutely love. I also really like Darkest Dreaming and other stuff.

As for it being a spiritual record, well I have my own opinions about that which I will not go into here - suffice it to say that I find a lot of it a bit hard to take and a bit deluded. But there you have it; we all have our opinions and I'm glad, reading this thread so far, that we are all respecting that. I am also glad that there is a thread which embraces a critical analysis of some of DS's output that kind of balances the 'DS - we are impressed by your music'...ness of many other threads.

But, to get back on track - the stuff I really can't stand of DS's are some of the collaborations he's done - like the Virginia Astley collab - 'Hope in A Darkened Heart' and that 'Goodnight' think with Sandii and the Sunsetz or whoever it was. Some of it is really badly produced as well - you don't need swathes of reverb or effects on the laughing man's vocals also.

Anyhoo...I'm orff.

Just to be contentious, and to follow on from a previous post of Astro's, I kinda like Ingrid's voice - it's erm....sassy. But, as for any discernible talent - I think that is highly questionable. Especially the hokey poetry. That nearly rhymed....maybe I should try poetry....also, I think that DS's lyrics are often brilliant - I mean that in the true sense of the word - just exceptional. But his poetry? Undisciplined and in need of edits. Lotssss of edits.

Ah opinions...opinions.

I have other opinions if anyone wants to hear them. Opinions about bunnies, windows and eggs. Anyone? No?

Anyway,...bysie bye.

C

I think just laughing when you comment is the best medicine...
Taking things too personally is just ego oriented and best not played into.... so on that note HA HA HA HA HA ROFL :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 WWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !whoosh!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:10 am

agree on the collaboration thing
Cloud 9 with Ryuichi is a disaster.
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:52 pm

David's worst songs are -

Alphabet Angel
Jean The Birdman
The Good Son
Cover Me With Flowers
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi Simon ~ hope your well ?

Have to agree with you on

The Good son
Alphabet Angel
Jean The Birdman

Cover me with flowers, i dont mind that so much...

Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Hi mate

I'm good thanks you? Havent been on here for a while.

I think Cover Me With Flowers is dreadful. It's just a muddy dirge. Even the vocals are hellish. Not one of his finest moments. Oh I've just thought of another....

CAFE EUROPA - THE WORST SONG EVER
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:51 pm

i don't really care for cover me with flowers either, but i don't think its as bad as all that. Hmmm the good son... yeah that one takes something special to listen to.... won't ever agree though with cafe europa being the worst song ever. I can SO think of others that are worst... plus i like cafe europa.... :D :D
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:48 am

I really, really like Cloud #9 and Cafe Europa (the latter which, true, took me ages to take to).

David's tracks I could never warm up to, off the top of my head:

Heartbeat
Wanderlust
Sugarfuel

just too 'chic' and softy for me.

for me, Heartbeat signalled the beginning of his delusional/confusional '90s period.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chet on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:00 am

Heartbeat... hmmm... interesting.
I adored it the day it came, but quickly I just couldn't listen to it anymore.
and I didn't like the Ingrid participation.
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:21 am

for me, Heartbeat signalled the beginning of his delusional/confusional '90s period.

Hee hee... this made me giggle.... great wording!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work