Reviews of Live Shows 2007 - WARNING: Spoilers!

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby camphorvan on Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:05 pm

does anyone know the show timings roughly? Does it start promptly at 7.30 and I take it it ends about 9.30?
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby untitled on Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:57 pm

I went to Glasgow last night ( yes, it was fantastic!). Despite the ticket saying it started at 7.30pm - when I got there I was told it wouldn't start until 8.00pm. So it might be worth checking with the venue. It finished about 10.00pm. Quickest 2 hours of my life!

Hope that helps :)
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Well, hope I didn't coe across as negative in the first post, but I can totally confirm Simonp's remark that the sound was much much better at Glasgow.

It sounded fantastic from the third row (hello Stoobie!) Sylvian's voice sounded full and rich - which it really didn't in Manchester.

The lighting levels were up a bit in Glasgow too, so I should have a few better pictures. I wish people wouldn't use flash photography though (and as for those in Manchester using their phone cameras with the CRUNCH CRUNCH CLICK sound on full volume!!!!)

No Theo Travis at Glasgow it should be noted (but I don't think it was on his list was it?)

A much smaller audience - disappointing how many sections of empty seats there were really, but I do think the crowd reaction was better at Glasgow. Very appreciative.

Can't get over how good the sound was.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:16 pm

sonic thanks for giving us the details about the glasgow show. I can't wait to see your photos.

Do you think sound has anything to do with venues or is it mostly who is running the sound board??
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:49 pm

Should be the same person running the desk each night and the venues on the UK dates all have superb acoustics (well, I'll get back to you on the upgraded RFH - haven't been yet) so I'm not sure why there should be such a difference - our position in the hall can make a difference, but seats in Manchester and Glasgow were fairly comparable.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby creekds on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:01 am

Sonic and Bern, maybe calling you both negative was a bit harsh, sorry. I was just in post-show ecstasy.

It's a real shame the sound was off in Manchester because it really is a cracking venue sonically when it's done better than that. I'm jealous I didn't get to see the Glasgow show now I've heard about it. Can't believe there are empty seats anywhere for DS! What a shame.

Regarding the lighting in Manchester, I don't know if anyone saw this, but near the start of the show, one of the filters (a coloured plastic sheet) fell down from one of the lights and landed on the floor near the stage. It meant that one of the lights was really bright white and it was blinding them on stage. A few minutes after that, they seemed to turn all the lights down to compensate, which helped the band but made it quite dull for the crowd.

I'm hoping there are a few tickets left for the Hong Kong show because there is a chance I will be in Hong Kong on business at the time, but I won't know for sure for another two weeks. I have all my fingers crossed.
Guided by hands that spread life before my very eyes.
creekds
Noob
Noob

Postby untitled on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:11 am

Here's a link to some stuff shot at Glasgow on Saturday night. It's very dodgy phone footage, but trust me, the sound quality was fantastic and David was singing at his best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l2daWJvBoc
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Glasgow RCH 15th Sept 07

Postby ZX6R on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:09 am

Fantastic night,some of the highlights for me were Ride,the final encore of Wanderlust and an excellent version of world Citizen,it was the first Sylvian concert Id been to since 1988 in Edinburugh,I missed the UK dates on the 2001 E&N tour which was painful but Saturday night was excellent,we had front row seats and with the relaxed atmosphere and being able to make eye contact with the band made it feel like they were playing just for us,so all in all like I said at the start a Fantastic night.Ive posted a like I seen on youtube but the sounds not great with it been taken on a camera phone.

Brian

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3l2daWJvBoc[/url]
ZX6R
Noob
Noob

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:25 am

wow thanks for sharing that. The sound is good on the one.... oh wow he sounded so wonderful Breaks my heart he won't be sharing with the US and australia... :-(
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:04 pm

Glasgow was great! He played a very good set list and the sound was fantastic. I had a very good view from where i was seated. My only regret was i didnt take front row seats and get to shake the great mans hand, however in a way im glad now as he might have ended up with a stinking cold which i woke up the following morning with.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:53 pm

where are all the concert images?? I was expecting more people to be posting photos of the shows they've been to see.....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Back from the gig in London, just arrived to my hotel after waiting for quite a long time at the stage door.

Loved every minute of the gig (unlike the guy next to me that was sleeping here and there LOL!) Awesome sound and loved how some songs were quite changed. I was a bit far on the side, but could see David very well and Steve a bit blocked, but still saw him.

Thanks to everyone that I met, Steerspike (thanks for the DD stuff!!!) and Tallulahtaurus with whom I had dinner and lots of laughs, Sonic that was by chance sitting behind me and Melazska, that was met so briefly, but glad we met anyway! But special mention goes to Bridget, that not only was waiting for me with a happy bd bunch of balloons, but that also got me a Happy BD card signed by Steve and other members of the band! You are great dear!!! :D

So she and I were the only survivors of the bunch in the end (and my patient parents). It was funny when we saw Rich inside and he said "I remember you" to me, LOL! I talked to Tim as well and he was real nice and kind :D So good to see him again!

So in the end we got to see Keith (such a fun guy!) and then David (with whom I couldn't get a pic, but signed my tour book) and Steve that signed a few things for me and we talked about his cancelled gig in Madrid earlier this year. He wished me happy bd, and I think he kissed my cheek then as well, but the moment is a blur, LOL!

Real exciting night, will say more when I go back. I hope any of the few pics I took turns out. Will let you know!

*off to bed real happy!*
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:33 pm

Wow... WOW!!

That sounds like an amazing time, Sisterlondon!! Sounds like JapanSylvian friends are great friends! I'm so glad you got to meet everyone! REALLY cool you bumped into Mr. B and Tim too!! And that kiss from Steve... How did you not faint?!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:45 pm

TRIPLE WOW!!!! Congrats on your birthday and the FANTASTIC night you had!!!
Look forward to hearing more :-) GREAT!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:14 pm

Sounds like the best birthday ever, Isa! Very cool that Rich and Tim were there!

*and how could someone sleep through show?!?!*
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion